Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Ages

I got the same thing too "isn't that an old lady hobby". I'm 30 and got a wonderful birthday present of getting to attend an 8 week quilting class. I absolutely loved it and still do. I don't have any kids just my little dog Mckye who's my fur baby and who also got the second quilt I ever made. :)

You know, I don't get that from people about quilting. I did get a little flack about scrapbooking though! People thinks its just paper and pictures, and its so much more than that!

I get comments like "I wish *I* had time to do stuff like that", well, you have time to watch t.v, don't you? If you like something you MAKE time for it.

And I have one brother in law that is a pain in the butt. He has said many comments to me about "wasting" money on all the scrapbooking paper I have, etc. My sister is a scrapbooker, so he is always riding her about it. If I was her, I'd slap him sometimes!

But, with the quilts, its different.I always get compliments, etc. Maybe because people see quilts as something that everyone uses, its an actual "useful" item? And scrapbooks are just to look at?

The only people I get funny comments from about my age(I'm 35) are usually other quilters! There's a couple that hang out at the quilt shop that are always acting like "younger" people don't know anything about quilting. Of course, I help enforce that stereotype, as I am a "newbie", but theres a LOT of young quilters that are very, very advanced.

Thank God those types are few and far between! Most quilters are very happy to help a newbie, and don't assume that just because someone is young they are inexperienced.

Made my first quilt at 20 yrs old. Quilted on and off for the next several years and then 2 years ago really got into it. I'm a very young 50! :-)

I am 55. There may be a number of grandmas who quilt, perhaps because, with their kids grown, they have more time, but quilting is all about creativity and self expression, which can bring joy and satisfaction to people of ANY age!

I'm twenty one years old and I just started quilting about...1-2 months ago. I really don't think it's an age thing - I think if you have a lot of time on your hands, you may be more inclined to quilt, although like someone else said, it's kind of something you make time for.

But being unemployed and having hours and hours of free time on my hands, I decided to dive into quilting. Boy am I glad I did! I haven't gotten any of the 'isn't that for older people' things yet, but the guy at the library did say 'aren't you supposed to quilt in the winter' when I picked up some quilting books awhile back, lol.

33 year old mother of a 10 year old & a 4 month old.

And I would've slapped him for saying that. My hubs totally supports me in the quilting.

I am the BIG 50, today and LOVE quilting

Blog Entries
    I am 36 with two girls ( 14 and 15) . I just recently started quilting. I have been sewing since I was 5 or 6. things like clothes and costumes...

Quote Originally Posted by craftmama
    Happy Birthday !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian
    My husband said something to me the other day that got me thinking. He was making fun of me spending so much of my time on quilting. He said he thought it was something Grandma's do. lol He told me later that he actually wanted to tell me to find a hobby for my own age. I was kind of hurt at that comment.

But, back to my question...how old are we all? I'm willing to bet I'm not the only 38 year old mother of 3 children under the age of 12, eh?
    I'm close to you... 31 year old mother of 4 under the age of 10, lol!

Blog Entries
    I am 68, mom of 2 (grown kids)..wife of 44 years...been quilting about 12 years and love every minute of it. I miss having kids at home (mine and everybody else's kids) but I do love the fact that I have a room just for ME, for my sewing and computer and etc. ( was the older ones room)..so that is a positive about enpty nests...

I started at age 50, and was a grandma, that was 20 plus years ago. Before that I made most of our clothing, when the kids grew up I turned to quilting because I love the feel of fabric.

I'm thirty - I think I started quilting about the time I was 21, but didn't seriously become "a quilter" until about three years ago.

Oh, and I have two children under the age of 5.

Well.... I AM a Grandma to 4 at 48, but I married into 3 of them. Quilting isn't All I do, I'm a triathlete , mountain climber, hiker, and I own more power tools than my husband; but, a girl's gotta' have some quiet time!

I'm 26, a newlywed with no kids yet. But I went to my first quilting class with my mom when I was 12. Yup, it was me, mom, and all the grandmas so I understand where the stereotype comes from. Doesn't mean it's accurate all the time though! There are many many young quilters on this board and at my in-person quilting guild.

But more importantly, who cares anyway? A friend is a friend. A hobby is a hobby. I'm glad to do quilting and hang out with quilters regardless of ages 'cause it makes me happy.

Blog Entries
    73 year old grandmother of 2.
    Been sewing forever, but started quilting with baby quilts, then
    wall hangings & 5 years ago a hand-quilted twin size quilt.

62 years old. Been quilting most of my life. 6 kids, 8 grandchildren, 2 great grandkids.. Each gets a quilt most every year.

Quote Originally Posted by craftmama
    Happy Birthday to you and I hope you had a real good time.

I am 45 and have four children ages 10-18. I started quilting when I was 39. My 12 year old daughter has been quilting since she was 9.

Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian
    My husband said something to me the other day that got me thinking. He was making fun of me spending so much of my time on quilting. He said he thought it was something Grandma's do. lol He told me later that he actually wanted to tell me to find a hobby for my own age. I was kind of hurt at that comment.

But, back to my question...how old are we all? I'm willing to bet I'm not the only 38 year old mother of 3 children under the age of 12, eh?
    I am not old, I have 4 kids ages 5, 11, 16, & 18 and started quilting when the oldest was about 2. I think you should tell your DH that he is in the dog house with more than one woman - quilting is not just an old woman thing!

55 and retired (my choice) have been quilting since 1987 and becoming more obsessed. Taught my daughter how to sew and she has been patchworking and quilting since she was 8,
    she is now 27. Between the two of us we own 5 sewing machines, 2 embroidery machines and a stash that parties all night and breeds because the more quilts I make the more scraps I seem to have.

My grandmother taught me how to embroider, knit and crochet and I love all the old crafts. We have to teach the young to keep these crafts alive. :)

I have to tell you if my last child had been a girl and not a boy her name would have been Mirabelle.

Quote Originally Posted by mirabelle
    55 and retired (my choice) have been quilting since 1987 and becoming more obsessed. Taught my daughter how to sew and she has been patchworking and quilting since she was 8,
    she is now 27. Between the two of us we own 5 sewing machines, 2 embroidery machines and a stash that parties all night and breeds because the more quilts I make the more scraps I seem to have.

My grandmother taught me how to embroider, knit and crochet and I love all the old crafts. We have to teach the young to keep these crafts alive. :)

There is no age on quilting,sewing,it's when you can handle a needle.

Banned
    I think it's a guy-thing! No matter your age.

I'm 54....and when DH sees that I'm here on the board,
    he always asks if I'm talking to one of my little "blue-haired" friends!

(He thinks "I'm" one of the younger ones!! lmbo!!)

I'll be 54 in November. I've been sewing since I was 12. That was the year Santa put a brand new Singer under the tree (not that I'd been begging). Sewing was something special that I shared with my Grandmother. It skipped a generation as my Mother never sewed. Until I retired a couple of years ago, I did mostly garments and Home Dec. I sewed all of my niece's prom dresses. She used to take me to the mall and say "Aunt Cindy do you think you could make a dress like this?" Now I have my first granddaughter and my daughter's friends ooh and ahh over her cute clothes. I have many requests, but I sew only for family and a few close friends. Then I discovered quilting and that has been my passion for the last few years. Sewing is an art and a way to express your creative soul just as any other art form. Tell your DH he is lucky to have such a creative and unique wife!

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast