Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Ages

I'm 58 and got interested in quilting 2 years ago. Before that I did a lot of counted cross stitch, crocheting, some sewing and for about 3 years running made all the Christmas tree ornaments for our (then) 12' tree. I'm Mom to three girls, 28, 26, 24, the oldest of whom lives with us (she's mentally handicapped and functions at about the 7 year old range and is very active!). My husband is a custom home builder, and we've moved about every year-year/half during our 29 year marriage. I'm ready to stop moving and settle down, but he's now talking about moving back to NC if our middle daughter moves there. I know I'd get a heck of a lot more quilting under my belt if I wasn't packing everything in boxes!

Sorry - must have been extra caffeine in that coffee cup!

Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian
    My husband said something to me the other day that got me thinking. He was making fun of me spending so much of my time on quilting. He said he thought it was something Grandma's do. lol He told me later that he actually wanted to tell me to find a hobby for my own age. I was kind of hurt at that comment.

But, back to my question...how old are we all? I'm willing to bet I'm not the only 38 year old mother of 3 children under the age of 12, eh?
    I'm not 38 any longer, but I HAVE been 39 for quite a few years!! But I did start quilting at about 25. I had been sewing since I was 9 - starting off with Barbie clothes and moving on to my own clothes, curtains and a sofa slipcover (which if I ever want one again, I will GLADLY pay someone else to make!) Sewing and quilting has been such an enjoyable pastime, a real stress reducer, not to mention all the clothes and quilts I've made. I'd bet dollars to donuts your husband's pasttimes are not as productive as quilting, or will be cherished for many years like a handmade quilt! Keep on quilting!!!!

Well ... I'm 57 BUT I got the quilting bug when I was in my 30's with a middle schooler at home and a fulltime job in a psychiatrist's office. Believe me ... this is way cheaper than $200-400 per hour for a Psychiatrist not to mention how expensive psychiatric drugs run. (Yes our machines may cost a lot but those are tools which is an entirely different category!)

One evening my quilt teacher looked around the room and said, "Should I be afraid? Everyone in this class is from USF's Psychiatry Center!" I even got one of the docs hooked!

My youngest daughter is 30, has two children under the age of four, expecting another in January and is so in love with quilting. She picked it up from me 5 years ago and I tell folks all the time that I created a monster. My d-sil gives me dirty looks sometimes but he's also an enabler!

Blog Entries
    I am 72 and feeling like I am in 30s now that I have had cataract surgery and an appendectomy all in August. I attribute my young feeling to my two Airedales that keep me young!

Quote Originally Posted by KathyAire
    I'm 62.
    Here is a link to a post that we did not too long ago about our ages.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-50668-1.htm

I'm just curious what he thinks is a hobby appropriate for your age?
    Not far from retirement, but love quilting.

Blog Entries
    I am now 63 but have been quilting since I was 21. This is no different than any other hobby. Back in the day we would have started a lot younger than that. Your hubby needs to get into this century.

I am 77. Been sewing most of my life but only quilting for a few years and still consider myself an amatuer. Just hope I can live long enuf to use up my stash (ha!ha!). Good you are getting an early start......more years to enjoy creating! I don't think quilting has any age limits.

Im 38 With 3 Children (Ages 15,13, and 8)..

How much time does he spend on his hobbies? Is watching TV one of them? Seriously though, does that mean I can't take up tap dancing because I'm 60?
    My husband said something to me the other day that got me thinking. He was making fun of me spending so much of my time on quilting. He said he thought it was something Grandma's do. lol He told me later that he actually wanted to tell me to find a hobby for my own age. I was kind of hurt at that comment.

But, back to my question...how old are we all? I'm willing to bet I'm not the only 38 year old mother of 3 children under the age of 12, eh?

I am 55. I have 2 step children both grown and 2 grandbabies and 1 due in Dec. I have only been quilting for about 2 yrs now and love working with my hands.
    I started crocheting when I was around 12 yrs old. My grandmother used to do that as well as well as knitting and tatting. I learned 2 basic stitches from her and taught myself others.
    Now I found quilting and it is relaxing and I love it, what one can create out of a piece of fabric.
    My DH does not mind

I am 62 and have quilted for about 30 years - And hope to being it for the next 62 years.

Blog Entries
    i was 74 in feb and still work 5 days a week, teach ss class, teach quilting/crochet at local rehab center and inside i still feel same as i did at 35 - outside, sometimes i feel older. does anyone really know what 74 feels like?

I'm 56--learned to quilt when I was 54. Wish I'd learned to quilt when I was 5. Think of how much experience I'd have by now and the beautiful quilts I'd be making. If I'd lived close to my grandmother who quilted, I would have learned from her. During a visit once, she taught me to crochet. I was nine. Hobbies don't have age limits.

Blog Entries
    I'm being told that 74 is the new 64. How do you feel? This year the arthritis has kicked in bigtime but I'm trying to just ignore it even though I can't sew for long periods of time. I just rest awhile and get at it again.

I'm 55 but I was interested in quilting as a teenager and started when I was about 20. Age is in your mind. I don't feel any older now than I did when I was a kid, just a little smarter and more capable. Tell him to go do something he likes and leave you to your business. You could have a whole lot worse activity than quilting.

56 and proud to be a grandma. Actually I was a grandma at 42

Blog Entries
    ...But, back to my question...how old are we all? I'm willing to bet I'm not the only 38 year old mother of 3 children under the age of 12, eh?
    I was younger than you when I made my first quilt in my 30s. I was doing a lot of sewing those days. I am now 55 and making quilts for grandchildren. I think your hubby doesn't know what he's talking about. What does it matter to him, anyhow?

I am 60 but I started when I was in my 20's. My grand kids also quilt.
    DGD started her first quilt at 5 and has continued
    DGS is 7 and on his second quilt.
    I also taught a kids quilt class this summer. They were ages 6 1/2-14.

Blog Entries
    I am 56, I have 3 kids and 7 grandkids. I started quilting with my Grma at age 5.. I watched her and her friends with there quilt all stretched out on the frame sewing away talking and laughing, they had so much fun..I watched them cut up clothes, use cardboard for templates and away they would go. It doesn't matter the age...If a person enjoys it. And everyone always enjoy the outcome of our efforts.. Every quilt I make my daughter wants.. ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by Jodie02b
    I'm 29 with 3 boys! and don't feel bad all my friends think i'm having a crisis but not before asking me for something.
    I had 3 boys also. They are now married and giving me grand children.
    I now have 3 DGS and one DGD.
    BUT I also have 3 wonderful Daughters-in-law.

Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    I am 46 years old and have 14 children, ages 23 to 5 yrs old. I started quilting at about 38 and it had nothing to do with age. I am also a red belt in tae kwon do, two belts away from becoming a black belt, which I fully intent to make irregardless of age. LOL I do think some of us have more time for quilting as we be come empty nesters and retire.

I also second that many very young people, both male and female, are learning to quilt. My youngest one was 3 and she still quilts at thirteen.
    My youngest son is a black belt and also an Eagle Scout.

I will be 52 in Nov.started quilting about 7 years ago.and when I told someone at work about my new passion,he said "Geritol is over on ailse 3" we work in a grocery store.(Meanings thats something only old women do)

Blog Entries
    Will be 64 on Saturday. Sewing since I was 10. Had a machine since I was 12. Quilting forever. 2 children
    40 & almost 37 and 5 grands. J J

Blog Entries
    I am 50. No kids. 2 Doggie babies. A wonderful husband who supports every hobby I have. I taught myself to quilt 18 years ago. Unless you count sitting at my grandmother's knee at the quilting frame when I was 7. My job was to thread the needles.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast