Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Agitate manually. Seriously? >
  • Agitate manually. Seriously?

• Agitate manually. Seriously?

Old 02-15-2013, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by willferg
    I read this once on a quilt guild newsletter. It was posted by a woman who had just made some quilts as gifts for recent high school grads heading off to college. She actually said she put the following instructions in with the gifted guilt. I thought it was unbelievable she'd expect anyone to do all this, let alone a college student! My quilts are all easy machine wash.

Quilt Care
    CLEAN:
    --Fill top-loading washer with low-chlorine, 80-degree F (27 degree C) water. Add plain sodium lauryl sulfate-based soap.
    --Shut off washer. Add quilt. Gently agitate by hand. Soak 5 - 10 minutes.
    --Drain. Refill with 80-degree water. Agitate by hand. Repeat this step until soap is removed.
    --Let spin cycle remove excess water.
    --Lay quilt flat on white sheet on carpet or other surface. Block quilt.
    --Fluff on dryer air cycle when nearly dry.

STORE:
    --Flat, rolled, or folded in thirds.
    --In pillowcase or washed, plain muslin.
    --In dark place with people-comfortable temperature and humidity.
    --with biennual airings.

DISPLAY:
    --in low light. Frequently rearrange for even light exposure.
    --in clean environment to avoid extra washing.
    Yeeeaaaahhh. If I was a college student and someone gave me those care instructions, that quilt would go into a closet and never come out. IF I actually read the instructions, that is.
    Old 02-15-2013, 10:20 AM
    Power Poster

I got 'stuck' at the sodium laurel sulfate based soap! (She could have included a brand name and a container of the stuff!)

Probably good instructions for an heirloom type quilt, but I make 'okay to use' and wash quilts!
    Old 02-15-2013, 02:42 PM
    Power Poster

IMHO, people wash their quilts way to often. Unless you are really abusing a quilt it rarely needs to be washed. Usually a good airing and or the gentle vacuum treatment should be all that is needed for most quilts. Of course the ones littles play with are meant to be abused so that is an exception. When animals are part of the equation you have another situation.

Find out what kind of pressure this quilt is going to live with and you may just want to use something more durable and even that won't last forever if it is overwashed through the years.
    peace
    Old 02-15-2013, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by humbird
    Would it still be fusible if washed right out of the package? I've never used the fusible, and probably won't, but just wondering.
    Actually the instructions are for care of the quilt; the package specifically says *not* to prewash the batting because it won't be fusible any more if you do.
    Old 02-16-2013, 05:17 AM

IMO that's the CYA factor. No matter what happens to the quilt when it's washed, they're not responsible. LOL
    My goodness, what are you supposed to do with baby quilts that get all sorts of things on them? Granted I haven't used fusible, but any quilt has to be washed.

Last edited by bobquilt3; 02-16-2013 at 05:24 AM.
    Old 02-16-2013, 05:59 AM

The only thing I have used fusible batting on is purses. My quilts are made to be washed , and dried in the washing machine , on gentle if I remember if not.. Oh well.. None are heirloom or show quilts. I just have to convince some people of that. Like the wheelchair quilt I made my dad with everyones hand prints appliqued on it. Flannel backing. That thing was satin stitched and machine quilted out the ying yang . Meant to be used and abused. My step mother sent it back . Brand new Never been used . I was so mad.. I am not hand agitated anything.. I had to use a wringer washer as a kid and I can tell you I remember the pain of getting my hand caught in that better than I remember child birth. If I can avoid it my hands do not touch wash water. LOL
    Old 02-16-2013, 09:14 AM

Just as an aside, I tried this stuff and I doubt I will ever use fusible again. I don't know maybe my iron just isn't hot enough, but it just didn't stick together very well and I ended up with tucks that we're so bad on the back I actually ripped the quilting out in some places and did it again. Ugh. Plus when it came out of the packaging it was already fused to itself, difficult to pull apart and wouldnt smooth out in places. I'm going back to safety pins!
    Old 02-16-2013, 10:39 AM

I had to use a wringer washer as a kid and I can tell you I remember the pain of getting my hand caught in that better than I remember child birth.

damaquilts...I still have the scar on my R index finger from playing with that dang ringer.....LOL.. NUBQ
    Old 02-16-2013, 11:09 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by GiddyUpGo
    Actually the instructions are for care of the quilt; the package specifically says *not* to prewash the batting because it won't be fusible any more if you do.
    Giddy, you are right of course! I blitzed right on by the "fusible" part, silly me. Disregard my instructions everybody!

Jan inVA
    Old 02-16-2013, 11:17 AM
    Power Poster

Just have to say the wrong thing i did, i had pre-printed squares that I bought and what did I do? I washed them of course. well the lovely blue lines went away. I contacted the company i got them from and claimed to be dumb (well I was) but also told them they should state that the squares should not be pre-washed. i pre-wash all fabrics! they sent me more. nice company and they never put that statement in. oh well, hopefully no one else was just as dumb as me.
    so far, i've not pre-washed my fusible batting!