Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Agitate manually. Seriously? >

Agitate manually. Seriously?

Agitate manually. Seriously?

Old 02-16-2013, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
do not wash fusible batting before putting into your quilt. yes, the fusible will wash out.
i use Hobbs heirloom 80/20 fusible a lot. i soak the finished quilt, then agitate a couple of minutes, spin out. fill again, soak, and agitate couple of minutes and spin out. then into dryer or clothsline outside. usually dryer.
Most of these suggestions do not work for me. I have to go to our apartment complex laundry room and the machine just runs a whole cycle no stopping it. Because of this, I know longer wash my fabrics either.
I do wash the quilts after they are finished to remove markings. If they wrinkle it does not bother me because I like that look.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:03 PM

Actually , I have done that. You just fill the tub, squish it are d and set it on drain. Kind of like washing it in the bathtub without having to get out a slopping wet batt.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:03 PM

If you don't want to give your friend a special care quilt, then you need a different batting. The instructions provided are what is recommended for the care. I use either Warm and Natural or Hobbs 80/20 for most gift quilts. I've also used the poly batting sold on the roll at Hancocks (it's a bit harder to quilt because it is thicker). All 3 of these can be thrown into the gentle cycle.

As far as laundry detergent, I use Orvus or other horse shampoo myself, but I tell folks to use Woolite for their gift quilts as most standard laundry detergents have some form of bleach in them. For baby quilts, the Mom usually washes it in whatever. All I tell them is that if they vary my recommendations, the quilt will be fine, but won't last as long without color fading.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
do not wash fusible batting before putting into your quilt. yes, the fusible will wash out.
i use Hobbs heirloom 80/20 fusible a lot. i soak the finished quilt, then agitate a couple of minutes, spin out. fill again, soak, and agitate couple of minutes and spin out. then into dryer or clothsline outside. usually dryer.
Thanks NativeTexan, I'm not the one starting this thread but this definitely is wonderful information. Thanks.