Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are all Long Arms as tempermental as my Tin Lizzie? >

Are all Long Arms as tempermental as my Tin Lizzie?

Are all Long Arms as tempermental as my Tin Lizzie?

Old 05-22-2011, 12:05 PM

Giving your cone of the cheaper thread a couple sprays of silicone spray (food grade) or using Sewer's Aid down the side can help. I have some serger thread from JoAnn's that I have to do that with. My Voyager definitely prefers King Tut!
Old 05-22-2011, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

I found that Organ brand needles have the highest standard of manufacturing. The metal used is stronger and makes a sharp point. I spent an afternoon researching machine needles online and Organ was the cream of the crop according to all the industry trade (not opinion) articles I read.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:57 PM
Power Poster

As far as needles go, I use the HQ needles in my HQ and I don't have any problems with my needles.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:19 PM

My Sunshine has been breaking a lot of thread but I am just starting to learn how to use it so I think in my case it is due to human error.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:26 PM

My Lizzie has always worked fine with any thread except once when I used some thread that I knew was old. The old thread broke every foot or so, just hopeless. When I do change thread brands I check the tension as it usually needs to be adjusted when I change.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by bamamama
Originally Posted by quilterella
When I got my Tin Lizzie last month, the dealer told me...Only use King Tut and you will never have tension problems. She doesn't even sell that brand, so I was alittle confused... but she was right. My "Mitzie" TL only likes King Tut, just as my Janome only liked Aurafil or Mettler. The only problem I have had with my TL is the bobbin case being bent from me dropping it, and that problem has been rectified. So, yes, our machines are Thread Diva's and I will only use King Tut as advised by the dealer.
I used Aurifil on it last time I did charity quilts because it was donated. The 40 wt worked wonderful but the 50 wt did not. Marge on the TL yahoo group is a big help. She said that if use a different weight thread you sometimes need to use a different size needle. I find the King Tut Egyptian Cotton thread to be very linty in the machine.
I agree that King Tut is very linty and therefore gives alot of other issues. If I was more experienced, I would probably try a different namebrand thread, but, I don't know even which one to try. Even the TL website recommends King Tut. I have about 12 cones of 40wt so I have to use them before I even think about changing thread brands. In the mean time, I make sure I clean the machine often, especially the bobbin area.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:36 AM

It's probably the second type of thread. If you step down to a lesser quality thread,
put in a needle with a larger eye, and preferably one meant for metallics - these are designed to put the least friction on thread therefore causing less breakage.

Case in point, I did some "utility" quilts using serger thread, and had all kinds of problems with shredding threads. The lesser quality threads are not designed to take the high speeds and friction of a quilter.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:28 AM

I don't think you can really blame "Lizzie" on that one. Some threads just aren't usable when you quilt period....whether it is on a domestic machine OR a longarm. Sorry you are having problems.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

I didn't have any problem running MaxiLock on my HQ until my machine was in a different shop. I don't know what she did to my machine.