Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: All this talk about stash

All this talk about stash

I just read the article about somebody deliberately building stash. Love your new shelves by the way. (Didn't make note of her name--sorry) I always thought of a STASH as a coincidental accident resulting from making your first quilted project & just can't toss the scraps. I don't quite understand going out & deliberately buying fabric just to create a stash.

Yes, I do buy a little more yardage than a pattern calls for but, again, it isn't to deliberately add to stash. I try hard to work out of my stash but I rarely find things that work.

Ok, I do have a stash & buy fabrics I don't immed. have a plan for but not just to build up a stash. I hope this didn't sound contradictory. It does to me as I reread this but.............just thought I'd ask.

Pat

Power Poster
    I usually buy fabric with a project in mind. Occasionally I buy fabric that I love but don't have a project for and it goes into my stash. I don't have a large stash, just 4 shelves in a cupboard.

I love fabric and when I want to quilt or see a pattern I want to try, I hate to wait until I can afford fabric to work with. So when I have a few extra dollars and I see something I like, I buy a couple yards of it. I tend to shy away from oranges and reds unless I have a project in mind because I tend not to use them much. That way most of what I have will work together. My stash is small compared to some. Just a filing cabinet full of fabric wrapped boards.

I have a stash because when I started quilting the closest store to me is over an hour away. I just can't run to the store and buy what I need. My Sister also quilts and has a stash. When we go to town we hit all the stores and stock up, especially on tone on tone and blenders. We also share all our fabric with each other. If I don't have it she does and visa versa. Works for us.

Most of my fabric for years was for my stash. I love scrappy quilts, and usually 1/2 yard pieces were plenty. I would buy fat quarters too, but often, those weren't enough.If buying for stash now, I purchase mostly yard pieces, and 3 yards if I think I would want it for a border. I still rarely buy fabric just for a quilt...try to use what I have in my stash, and if need, go shopping for a sashing or border fabric.

Last year I bought 85 yards of fabric for a stash - but it was all in the "muddy" tones and I only had brights. I really wanted to make quilts in that sort of color tone and figured that was the way to do it. It also helped that the fabric was all on sale between 60 and 90% off. I've had a lot of fun using these fabrics. When I look at the other fabric I have I wonder where and why I bought it! Good thing is it all works well in scrappy quilts.

I buy for quilts, and always buy extra of each color. Sometimes I will see a fabric and think OH that would make a beautiful ( specific pattern) quilt and will buy it. If they have coordinating fabric I may buy a couple of yards of it too. Of course by the time I get around to actually using it I may have forgotten which pattern I had purchased it for! LOL Now I cheat and when I arrive home with the fabric I will put it and if not the pattern at least the name of the pattern in a project box and set it up on my bucket list shelf. I do have a stash and keep lots of solids, blenders, and holiday fabrics on hand but my stash is small compared to a lot of people.

Blog Entries
    I have a stash, one Im disabled and dont drive, 2. Only 2 LQS and they are small 3 on a fixed income so when i find it on sale i can afford it!!

I buy fabric that calls my name. there does tend to be a lot of fabrics that do call me. I love to be able to walk into my sewing room and pick up a pattern, throw open my cabinets, pull the fabrics and whip it up. I have been able to take advantage of some pretty awesome sales and have a substantial stash.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

If its on sale and I gotta have it.... I buy it for my stash. For me it's a way to help keep the cost down and increase the profits.

I have gotten fabric I liked "Just Because". Many times I fuss and fidget with it putting it into groupings that I think would make a good quilt combination..Eventually I find a pattern that works with it..Other times it's the opposite..Pattern sits as fabrics collect...Until it finds a home it sits in my stash. If I see it-I like it- I buy it..

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't stash. I can't stand tons of anything around. I buy what I need for a project. I have 3 plastic shoe boxes full of leftovers.

It's hard not to buy some of the beautiful fabrics I see, but I just can't tolerate the clutter. I also have a tough time with UFO's.

I've been a fabric collector since long before I started actively quilting. If I see a fabric that "speaks my name" it almost always comes home with me, either right then or when I go back for it. Enough times of going back and it being gone and you know what happens. . . See it, like/love it, buy it.

I may not have a specific pattern on mind when I get it, but I usually have at least a vague plan for it.

I mentally divide all fabrics into two big categories - focus fabric or coordinating fabric. It's really easy to have way too many focus fabrics and not enough coordinating fabrics, so lately I've been consciously seeking ones that will coordinate with what I already have.

I'm finding that pale to light shades of blenders, marbles, and the like are harder to locate, especially in batiks. And those fabrics are the ones I run out of first.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat G View Post
    I just read the article about somebody deliberately building stash. Love your new shelves by the way. (Didn't make note of her name--sorry) I always thought of a STASH as a coincidental accident resulting from making your first quilted project & just can't toss the scraps. I don't quite understand going out & deliberately buying fabric just to create a stash.

Yes, I do buy a little more yardage than a pattern calls for but, again, it isn't to deliberately add to stash. I try hard to work out of my stash but I rarely find things that work.

Ok, I do have a stash & buy fabrics I don't immed. have a plan for but not just to build up a stash. I hope this didn't sound contradictory. It does to me as I reread this but.............just thought I'd ask.

Pat

I buy a lot of stuff at yard sales and thrift shops. I MIGHT need it one of these days.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I buy stash (usually on sale) because I make quilts from my own designs much more often than I copy others or use a pattern. I can choose to make a pattern designed around the prints I have on hand.

If I start drawing something at 6pm and then at 8pm just *have* to start making it right away, what would I do if I didn't have my own fabric store of sorts to shop from?! Just like I keep extra blades, or needles, or thread, or rulers, or any other part of my *tools* on hand, I keep "extra" fabric in a stash.

By having a stash, I have recently made a curved log cabin quilt using 30 fabrics in prints of aquas, red, and yellows ALL pulled from my stash, even the backing. I also made a reds, tans, and navy rail fence lap quilt all from stash.

Oh, yes, I'm ever so thankful I can shop in my own fabric store any hour any day of the week!!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I don't deliberately go seeking fabric to add to my "stash" .... instead, fabric seems to seek out me!

I'll be walking down the aisle at Joanns with the sole purpose of getting a zipper and WHAM! Right on the end of the aisle is the most beautiful fabric I've ever seen. Sometimes a project will immediately come to mind but more often than not I haven't any idea of what to make with it. But if I can swing it financially, I go ahead and get a couple yards of that beautiful just-gotta-have-it fabric that sought me out, AND I'll get 1/2 yard each of several coordinating fabrics in that line, so I have everything I need when I get around to using it for a quilt or project.

I sort and store my fabrics by project so it all stays together. Right now, I probably have 10 to 15 groups ready to go! It's fun having it "in stock", so when I come across a pattern I want to try, I'm ready to dig right in.
    Last edited by icul8rg8r; 07-05-2013 at 12:09 AM.
    Pfaff Ambition 1.0
    Pfaff Performance 5.0

I have enough fabric set aside for particular projects that I can't find time to piece together, yet I keep adding to my stash. It really is ridiculous. Is a scrappy really a scrappy if you purposely bought a bunch of 1/4 yards and fat quarters just to cut up and add to your scrappy stash? I don't think I'd succeed at the fabric moratorium, but lately I've been thinking about putting myself on a specific budget for fabric to cut down on what I buy. I think I could make quilts for years before I truly needed fabric.

I am fortunate to have a modest stash (don't ask my husband his opinion on that though... he thinks it is HUGE lol) but most of mine was either bought on a HUGE sale, or gifted to me. I have TONS of scraps that were given to me, and I still buy for a specific project and if the finances are good at the moment, will buy at least a yard extra if I like the fabric and think I will use it someday. I too, have bought with a specific project, and years later, find these nice coordinating fabrics in a box, and think "what the *&^^ did I have in mind for this fabric" So, it goes into the regular stash.

Blog Entries
    I love to quilt and will use a lot of fabric in a few months time. If I had to shop for each project I'd be shopping more then quilting. I usually buy 3 - 9 yards of one fabric at a time when I find a great sale. I buy focus fabric as I need it for each quilt but I have background, blender, and backing in my stash. I have the room to store it neatly so it's not cluttered or stuck in bins.
    Got fabric?

Fabric lines come and go so fast. I'll go to the LQS and see some new fabric that I know by the time I finish my current project will not be there. True some else will be, but if I really like a fabric I buy it when I see it so I do get to work with it. That's how I have built up a stash. Then there's yardage or fat quarters I need like staples you keep in a kitchen that are part of my stash. My stash also has complete projects yet to completed. Last but no least, if there's a sale there's a reason to go to the LQS which always results in a purchase.

I had a stash before I ever started quilting. Back when I sewed only to make clothing.. if it was on sale at a very good price and I loved it.. I bought it. For me its no different than keeping a pantry of food item purchased on sale for future use. The concept is so parallel , flour and sugar are the muslin and tone on tone etc in my sewing pantry.

I make a huge amount of charity quilts. I make patriotic ones, kids and Hospice. I only buy what is deeply discounted and a good quality. I have had quite a bit given to me also--mainly floral. If I had to pay $12 a yard there would not be nearly as many quilts donated It is all neatly folded and on shelves in my closet.

Project only buyer here. I do buy extra for error sake but that's about it. I don't have room to maintain a stash and my tastes change rapidly. The project leftovers are my only stash. I'm also not into scrappy so it all works for me.

I don't live in town either. Until recently there was no place to buy fabric up here on the mountain. So I buy mostly for projects, but, I do put in blenders and backings in a stash for those days when it is snowing and I can't get into town.

Now there is the occasional exception when I have bought fabric that I loved and had no current use for. I love having inspirational fabric to start those creative engines. Believe me, between my charity quilts and the other things I sew, it all gets used eventually. The going out of business sales is what grew my stash to almost out of control once. Quilt shop quality at a dime store price, who could resist?

Hubby made my shelving in the double closet of the sewing room to organize mine. Then he added hanging kitchen-type cabinets above my sewing area.

Let me add one thing ... I don't have a closet full of shoes and purses, I don't have any hobbies but this one and gardening. So I feel no remorse whatsoever.
    Last edited by RedGarnet222; 07-05-2013 at 08:08 AM.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Blog Entries
    For me the stash just happened over years. Buying fabric for a project and then not making it for whatever reason. Left over fabric from when a design changes, fabric I just had to have. And as soon as people learn I quilt they get rid of their unwanted material by dropping it off at my house. I never bought a fabric to just add to my stash. There is always an intended use at the time I acquire it.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast