Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
?? for all you quilters???? >

?? for all you quilters????

?? for all you quilters????

Old 02-16-2009, 08:24 PM
Power Poster

k3n wrote:
Here, here Cheryl!

I don't believe we should force ourselves to quilt if we don't feel like it, for most of us it's a hobby after all... but, sometimes you can kind of 'quilt' yourself into the mood; if I don't feel llike doing any sewing I say, OK just half an hour's quilting so I can say I did SOMETHING today, and three hours later, the time has flown by, I'm completely absorbed and the stresses have melted away!

wow, i use the half hour technique too!!! your right it's kismet, k!
Old 02-16-2009, 08:34 PM

today I spent hours cutting the parts/pieces for a new scrappy quilt- kansas troubles. I always start with about 4-6 fabrics and before you know it, I have about 20 on the table. Same thing today. And I always cut more pieces than the pattern calls for-- because when I start sewing, I find I don't like this or that piece or color anymore. I think I'm nuts.
So now it's time to stop- I'm tired and can't think. Also, even though I have tons of fabric, I always think I don't have the right ones. Anyone else think they don't have the right fabric??? Is that why we shop so much?
Cheryl
Old 02-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Power Poster

Cheryl wrote:
Also, even though I have tons of fabric, I always think I don't have the right ones. Anyone else think they don't have the right fabric??? Is that why we shop so much?

omgoodness...I'm always and forever, second guessing myself!!! No, this will go better...no, this is not quiiiite the right shade of....this print is wrong size...too many fabrics similar....it makes me quiltncrazy!!!!!!! :wink:
Old 02-16-2009, 10:52 PM

Sometimes I have a hard time getting motivated when my sis isn't around. I get more done when someone is around to laugh and vent with. I can't get in the mood to finish a quilt my grandmother made (the top) for my dad in the 60's. I just have to quilt it and I am just afraid I will ruin it. I think I finally found a pattern to use.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:05 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
k3n wrote:
Here, here Cheryl!

I don't believe we should force ourselves to quilt if we don't feel like it, for most of us it's a hobby after all... but, sometimes you can kind of 'quilt' yourself into the mood; if I don't feel llike doing any sewing I say, OK just half an hour's quilting so I can say I did SOMETHING today, and three hours later, the time has flown by, I'm completely absorbed and the stresses have melted away!

wow, i use the half hour technique too!!! your right it's kismet, k!
:D xxx
Old 02-17-2009, 09:52 AM

I always have good intentions. But, the quilt I finally started working on this week was supposed to have been completed about Thanksgiving. But, at that time I got distracted by little Christmas projects that seemed quick but took lots of time. I have to admit that I thoroughly enjoyed doing them and having something homemade to give to the special people in my life. And then, it was Valentine's Day with all those yummy heart fabric--another bump in the road. Right now, I have several projects in the works but I'm trying to keep focused on the "Thanksgiving" quilt. (although there is a baby quilt that has to be done in April that I need to start SOON!)

It is hard for me NOT to dive into 20 projects all at once and I am trying hard to control my creative juices. The ideal would be to start a project and finish it but it never seems to happen that way. The one thing that is consistant for me is buying fabric and I have fabric purchased for the next three or four quilts. lol

Someday, I hope to learn how to hand quilt. I've found (remembering that I am a beginner) that putting the binding on and doing the hand sewing is just so relaxing for me. I do it in front of the tv but have to keep putting my glasses off and on.

Regardless, isn't it a "fun" hobby? :lol:
Old 02-17-2009, 02:24 PM

the way i would do it, is when i start one, i like to finish before starting another one. if you get stumped go to something else and come back to it recharged.. my self i like to get all the cutting out and put into piles then start sewing them all together like a chain. hope that helps
Old 02-22-2009, 06:22 PM
Bev

I can fully empathize with the "Quilter's Block" type problem. I've been stuck since just before Christmas. I got all my Christmas stuff finished and couldn't do another thing. I have a quilt on the back burner for my grandson who was going to have it for college last Fall. Also a birthday quilt for my newest grandchild on Dec. 22nd. That's not to even mention three projects just for my own home. All in one stage or another of their development. Now I tiptoe around my sewing room and put things in order, look at quilting magazines, and service my machines, but can't pick up a single THING to quilt on. It's like my body won't do what my brain wants to do so badly. I feel very guilty.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:44 PM
Power Poster

Why do we quilters have so much guilt? is it just some of us, or most of us? We've really gotta learn how to stop the "i should-a-'s...(as in, I should be doing this...or that....etc)
A couple years ago, I did something good for myself. I already did or didn't do, whatever my little heart wanted on "hormonal" days, but then I decided Sundays would be like that too. I have "my stuff" as I call it, on days I am in a lot of pain...that's a 'whatever' day too.
I refuse to feel guilty or worry about anything on those days. When those feelings come, I just say, "oh, I'll think about that tomorrow. I'll set aside time for it."...and then I forget, lol!
I wish I had the luxury of doing this all the time, but then my housework etc. wouldn't get done. Sorry, if off topic...bunny trailing again...oops!...worry bout that tomorrow, lol!!! :lol:
Old 02-23-2009, 12:08 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quiltncrazy
Why do we quilters have so much guilt? is it just some of us, or most of us? We've really gotta learn how to stop the "i should-a-'s...(as in, I should be doing this...or that....etc)
A couple years ago, I did something good for myself. I already did or didn't do, whatever my little heart wanted on "hormonal" days, but then I decided Sundays would be like that too. I have "my stuff" as I call it, on days I am in a lot of pain...that's a 'whatever' day too.
I refuse to feel guilty or worry about anything on those days. When those feelings come, I just say, "oh, I'll think about that tomorrow. I'll set aside time for it."...and then I forget, lol!
I wish I had the luxury of doing this all the time, but then my housework etc. wouldn't get done. Sorry, if off topic...bunny trailing again...oops!...worry bout that tomorrow, lol!!! :lol:
My French neighbour who is a VERY sensible and wise old country lady says to me when she sees me beavering away in the garden from dawn to dusk - don't do everythiing today or you'll have nothing to do tomorrow! (well, obviously she says it in French... :wink: )

I try to remember that, the minute I start something I want it finished as my mind is already jumping ahead to the next thing. I'm really trying to make myself slow down and enjoy each project and NEVER look upon it as a chore, not easy but I try!!! :roll:

K x

PS 'bunny trailin' - another one for the book!!