Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I doing something wrong? >

Am I doing something wrong?

Am I doing something wrong?

Old 02-23-2011, 07:18 PM

not you i for one love the quilts i get to see on this site. everyone does such great work. i am usually in ahhhh. but i run out of time to comment on each one. please keep posting and don't feel bad. i haven't seen a bad quilt here yet.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:26 PM

Mary -

I hope this helps. I went and looked at your posts, and I only remember seeing "Betty's Colors" and your Log Cabin pillow. I liked them, but I usually only comment on something that really speaks to me, or maybe for someone who is having a tough time because of illness, conflict, or just that they are new and need encouragement. If I had seen your quilt for your friend's birthday, I would have commented on that one because I love the bright colors and loud patterns.

I also wanted to say, I understand being discouraged by a lack of comments. None of the quilts my wife and I have made are going to win a ribbon in the county fair, but we enjoy making them, and we are proud that we have improved as much as we have. We all enjoy the affirmation on this board, so I just take encouragement from the people who do comment.

Enjoy your quilting!

Darren
Old 02-23-2011, 07:31 PM

I have been on this for a while and check it everyday, and I JUST HAVE LOOKED AT YOUR PICTURES, have never seen them, probably the amount of post that day
Old 02-23-2011, 07:37 PM

I know the feeling ...... I went to the Oklahoma City quilt show and posted pics and they made it to the picture section of the the board .... this past weekend went to the local Quilt show and posted pictures and they got 30something responses and didn't make the picture section at all .... seems like the ones posted on the emails get the most comments.... I just thought someone didn't think a small local show would get the same amount of responses so it didn't get put up .... the quilts at the local show were just as good as the big one but more traditional and not all art quilts but the were excellent work ..... so what does determine if things get on the page sent out ???
Old 02-23-2011, 07:40 PM

To be honest --- I don't look at the picture section very often. It is too distracting for me ----- it makes me want to start new projects all the time and I can't get anything finished!
Old 02-23-2011, 07:45 PM

P.S. I just went and looked at your pics and topics you made beautiful quilts ......
Old 02-23-2011, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by woody1229
Hi - I've been on this board for nearly a year, and I go on it every day, usually more than once a day, because I love looking at everyone's work and seeing what others are talking about. I respond to other peoples' posts, too, although maybe not as often as others.

But when I post a picture of my latest completed project, I have found that I get a very minimal response from the rest of the board. Most pictures get over 100 responses, many get much more than that, while mine have been averaging under 20. This has happened so many times that I am forced to wonder if there is some unwritten rule I am breaking that I don't know about. I wouldn't ask, except that it happens every time. It's starting to bug me a bit, even hurt my feelings a little.

I love this board, but I'm not really feeling the love in return. Please be honest, is it me?

Mary B.

I am a newby, recently joined, so I might not have seen your work,
but long ago I was a professional photographer...
Maybe it is the quality of the photos? Are they dark?
Do you take them outdoors on a bright day? That makes the colors realistically brighter.
Can you hang them off a deck or balcony?
Then take the picture in cloudy bright conditions, because sometimes too bright sunlight makes the quilts look washed out.
Do you include closeups?...interesting details?
I have seen some photos that look fuzzy because somebody forgot to clean the lens.
Remember to focus the lens on the camera, unless you have an auto focus, which is a godsend!
Hold your breath while you click to keep away that sneaky motion blurryness.
....and think about this...ask a question or opinion.
To make you feel better,
one of the longest responses lately was about two ladies in a can!
J
Old 02-23-2011, 08:20 PM
Power Poster

Don't take it personally. A lot of quilters also work full time and have little time to quilt and take care of other necessities of living let alone respond to all the posts on the board. Quilt for your own enjoyment and creativity and appreciate it when people give you recognition for your quilts but don't let the lack of recognition upset your emotions.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:25 PM

Yes, don't feel bad. I love this site but it isn't easy to catch up on the latest posts as it is in such places as PatternReview. I haven't found a way to not miss a lot of what is happening. It is time of day and also, I think that some of the people are more comfortable commenting on those who they know rather than newcomers- not that they don't support you or like your work but time is very limited for most people so they may choose to focus on topics from those they know and either bypass or not comment on others. My thoughts.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:39 PM

:thumbup:(I must agree with JoanneS.) Dont take it to heart. I have seen your quilts very lovely. I read the board before I go to bed. Dont always make it to all the posts. Some of us old boarders just read all the newer post fresh ideas.