Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one? >

Am I the only one?

Am I the only one?

Old 09-16-2013, 07:19 PM

I do most of my quilting when I'm alone, I do spend Mondays with a couple of friends that quilt but my most productive work is when I'm alone. I enjoy the "down" time as well as quilds & clubs
Old 09-16-2013, 07:28 PM

You're not alone. !!!!!
Old 09-16-2013, 07:40 PM
Power Poster

Thought about joining a guild after a visit to a couple meetings at 2 different guilds. Very disappointing in the way they allowed a couple members to self-appointment themselves as judges in my work. I don't work at this! I am not perfect, ask God! I'm interesting and I will say what I believe. And yes id you want to borrow something ask. Do Not Just Borrow without asking. So yes I like working at my own pace in my own home. If I do something wrong then yes I will certainly recognize the moment when the lower intestinal tract proceeds as it should. (****happens).
Old 09-16-2013, 08:29 PM

Raising both hands here. I love being around people, and prefer that to being a loner. But when I am sewing or creating or reading or gardening or etc. etc. I prefer ME time alone to concentrate without interuptions. No nagging, no whining, no rules, no gossip, no quilt police, no nosy nobody's within earshot. Just me getting lost in my own thoughts.
But there is nothing like coming on here for inspiration and support, which I tend to thrive on.

Last edited by NanaCsews2; 09-16-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:33 PM

As an ex teacher I love working alone. I must admit I did go to very small classes my friend started as a business. This has now grown I keep to one day a week and she doesn't understand why I didn't go to others. I love the day I go for about an hour keeping up with the others in the small group. I find that large groups are far too noisy and sometimes clickey.
I love this sight as you may have noticed as you learn more than any groups teach and you can ask your own personel questions about quilting.
Classes I do occasionally take them. I can cope with a group learning anew skill and always look at it as a learning curve although I think some are far too expensive especially some associated with large quilt shows and lack of organising.

I believe certain teachers are introverts who act as extroverts when teaching.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:16 AM

I am in sales...so on all day. I belong to our local guild but do not do much with them at this point. I love going to my craft room each evening and doing something for me - quiet and peaceful.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:59 AM

yes, same for me, I love being on my own, pottering around (and esp. sewing and knitting) . We had a great summer, and I enjoyed that a lot. But this week is the first 'real' autumn week . A lot of people hate that, but the cosyness feels very nice to me, raining outside and lit candles inside , yep, I love this too :-))
Old 09-17-2013, 02:06 AM

Add me to your group. There are a number of reasons why I work alone. Sewing seems to be one of the very few things I can do alone. Simply because no one else in the house is interested in it. We live in the country and it isn't convenient to drive 15 or 20 miles into town just to get together with someone else. I did recently find a sewing friend just a couple of miles away. We have a lot in common, except she isn't a quilter. She makes twirler outfits, and clothing. I do love people, but I enjoy my "own little space" too.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:37 AM

I'm a loner anyway, never really felt like I fit in with the "others" and am perfectly content around my kids and sisters, who try to get me out of the house so I drag them to fabric and craft stores, lol.

I drove by a guild meeting a few years ago with the intention of going in, peeked inside and there must have been 50 women in there. I kept on driving - it scared the bejeebers out of me.!

It would be nice to find someone near me that quilts. One sister sews but not regularly, and someone else would keep me going and we could shop together and exchange ideas - that I would like.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:40 AM

Love alone time, too many years working with bunches of people, besides the dress code is wonderful.