Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one? >

Am I the only one?

Am I the only one?

Old 09-17-2013, 02:43 AM

I'm in the same club. I put in 11 hour days, with a very needy staff. I don't have a problem being by myself. I don't have enough me time, and I get greedy with it. Thank God my dog is not needy. He is extremely quiet, and since he plays with my brother's dog all day, he is tired when he gets home.
Old 09-17-2013, 02:53 AM

Add me to the list!
Old 09-17-2013, 03:15 AM

I am a self taught quilter. More than 20 years ago I joined two different quilds. One was 20 minutes from me and began in a home. The other was an established group founded by Mimi Dietrich. In the last couple of years I have dropped out of both of them. The local one is now has more than 100 members. Most of them I don't know. The second has gotten to far for me to commute in rush hour traffic as I have grown older. I am a hand quilter and thus an oddity in the eyes of most "modern" quilters . I am not interested in block of the month or any other group project. The last straw for me was the "Holiday" party last year where they gave each of us a number when we entered the room and we had to sit at the table with that number. I ended up seated with people I only knew by site if that. Needless to say I and most of my original guild friends were not happy with that arrangement. I understand the idea of a "mixer" but not at the party. I do a lot of charity sewing. I make at least 20 Linus quilts a month and lately have been making dozens of "Princess Pillowcase Dresses". I used to go on a retreat with the one group but it is a lot of effort and misuse of time to have to break down my sewing set up at home and drag it and the kitchen sink somewhere else for a few days. I could spend that time and effort producing more at home. I do hand quilt on a raffle quilt that we are making at our local senior center two hours a week. It is ten minutes from my home and requires me to only bring my needle.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:28 AM

Looks like there are a lot of happy "loners" and yes I'm one of them
Old 09-17-2013, 03:36 AM

Me too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-17-2013, 04:07 AM

I'm pretty much a lone quilter, but I do like attending shows with friends.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:09 AM

I spent too many years working in a noisy environment and lots of people. I enjoy my quiet time.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:27 AM

I too, like my quiet time despite being an extrovert. After 10 hours of meetings, numerous phone calls and emails, I enjoy a bit of unwinding by working on a quilt. At times, I think it might be nice to meet other people however, I have yet to find a "hook-up" that is within travel distance or convenient time after work. Traveling an hour in traffic at 6pm when I get out of work, lugging a machine in my car ( thinking about whether it will still be there at the end of the day) just does not excite me. So here I sit in the wee hours of the morning , sipping a cup of coffee and learning from the QB. Ahhhh
Old 09-17-2013, 04:57 AM

I thought it was just me who liked my own company,
I have tried a guild but that was not for me,
I love to help people to learn to do patchwork but that is only one person at a time in my own home.
Thank Goodness. for the internet I have my classes and the best of shops.
Once a week get together with four friends for a laugh and chatter is enough for me
Old 09-17-2013, 05:05 AM

Count me in. I love quilting alone in my home. We have a Crafts/Quilt group that meets at church but I have never joined. My quilting along with my music equals peace