Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Am I the only one? >
  • Am I the only one?

• Am I the only one?

Old 09-17-2013, 07:17 AM

Glad to read this thread! Count me in!! I love to be in my sewing room with my cat for company (if he is behaving nicely) and maybe the window open to hear the birds outside. Heaven!!! The sharing of ideas and pictures on this board that is available at my convenience has enhanced my sewing, I also have two co-workers that we share ideas and projects.
    Old 09-17-2013, 07:22 AM

I'm with you. As I grow older I find I enjoy my company more than others ... and I can work at my own pace with my own ideas. I often get the same result as others but take a different route to get there so there's usually somebody telling how "wrong" I am .... and I spent several years being bullied at work so now I find it great to be able to spend time with my thoughts and ways of doing things. And yes, the dress code and the hours are the BEST ever !

Last edited by MaryMo; 09-17-2013 at 07:25 AM.
    Old 09-17-2013, 07:43 AM

I am glad to know others feel this way! I taught school for nearly 40 yrs and relish my "not having to get up at a certain time or go to endless meetings to ever join a group. That said I do enjoy this board I read it almost daily tho I don't comment very often. I am a friendly person have no idea why I feel this way now?
    Old 09-17-2013, 07:51 AM

Crazy ain't it? I am a friendly person by nature, or so my acquaintances say... but i feel no need to physically share my quilting journey. Now, virtual show and tell is another thing altogether ;-)
    Old 09-17-2013, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR
    I am just starting to quilt again after several years. One of the things I love about it is that I can create beautiful things in my own home without having to deal with a lot of people. I know that sounds antisocial, but I am an introvert and need my quiet time (I teach for a living.). I have no desire to join a club or a guild or take a class (other than online at my own pace). I enjoy this forum very much, though. I get great ideas here, and I love seeing other's projects. Are there other lone (and happy to be that way) quilters out there, or is it just me?
    I enjoy my time with my fabrics. I've always got something going. I'm finishing up a Carpenter's Wheel big block quilt top-------going to have to decide on borders before the week is up. And got a few dozen mug rugs in the works. Easy ones. I also found a sleep shirt that I love so much that I'm taking the original (yard sale item) apart to use as a pattern since I can't seem to find similar pattern to use.

And the on-going shopping bags and pillow cases as well as some really cute men's shirt pillows.
    Old 09-17-2013, 08:20 AM

I,too,quilt by myself. I am disabled and it's not easy for me to drive anymore. I'm happy when I can get to my doctors and be able to buy groceries,etc. As far as joining a quilt guild,I can't. It would hurt too much to sit in a class.
    Old 09-17-2013, 08:22 AM

You are definitely not alone - I don't belong to any guilds or groups either. I work full-time and enjoy my time at home in front of my sewing machine and, of course, the great group here.
    Old 09-17-2013, 08:37 AM

I'm pretty extroverted (I take the dog out for a walk and my husband knows I'll be gone for a couple of hours because I'm visiting), but I have to say that's one of the things I love about quilting. I go in my room and have quiet time. I love QB though, which sucks entirely too much of my day away, but it's very enjoyable. For those of you that are educators - I completely understand why you want time for yourself!
    Old 09-17-2013, 08:42 AM

Hear, hear! Exactly how I feel.
    Old 09-17-2013, 09:22 AM

Thanks everyone--it seems there are many of us! The idea of a "Silent Quilting Circle" made me laugh, too. It sounds so much like me!