Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one? >

Am I the only one?

Am I the only one?

Old 09-17-2013, 01:29 PM

I can somewhat agree. I am not by any means an introvert, I am a member of the local quild, I love our workshops, retreats, and classes we attend. I even attend a weekly meeting for a sew along that last all day. I do however have my moments were I too just want to be left alone with my creative thoughts to enjoy nothing but the sound of my machine. That is where I find my balance when things start to go all out of whack on me. So yes, I can see your point.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:06 PM

I love my time alone quilting. I treasure it. It recharges me for time spent with others.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:54 PM

I lead a large company and have a high profile job so I get all the interaction with others that I need during the day. I love the idea of guilds but just can't get myself to attend the meetings because I need the quiet time at the end of a busy day. I can totally understand the need to be by yourself - I feel it too.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:53 AM

I enjoy quilting and piecing alone. I tried twol guilds when I moved to this town and found them to be standoffish or overly talkative. If I am alone, my mind can be free to dream up its own quilt ideas. I found that for me, the design part the most enjoyable part of quilting.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:23 AM

I do enjoy attending a quilt class from time to time, especially if it is a pattern that is challenging or I am unfamiliar with and if the I am going to learn from the experience but, I am an early morning quilter and end up finishing my projects at home... I just like the comfort of my home and being able to spread out everywhere and taking a break for a cup of coffee without holding anyone else up.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:40 AM

I'm with you. I do belong to my local quild but not an active participant and I do go on retreats and quilting cruises with my best friend but the best time is spent in my sewing room with the company of my two "quilty" cats who do more to imped my progress than help.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:49 AM

I was that way (okay with quilting on my own) when I taught. Now that I'm retired and living on ten acres in the country...I find I need to get out and be with people now and then. I've joined a guild in my area and so far, so good!
Old 09-18-2013, 04:27 AM

Me too. I am a lone quiter for sure.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:41 AM

I just recently retired, so I am loving the ability to stay home and sew. I try to do all my shopping and running around at once so that I don't have to get out any more than I have to. I am a member of a guild but have never attended! In the past I took a lot of classes, and that meant dragging everything up from the basement to the vehicle, then vice versa. I am not an introvert, but I absolutely love MY time quilting. I can listen to the TV, have it as loud (or quiet) as I want, wear whatever I want, apply (or NOT), makeup, talk to myself (and answer myself) if I make a mistake on something, and just plain enjoy it all!! Friends ask if I'm bored! haha, a quilter NEVER sees a bored day, just another opportunity to sew! My DH doesn't understand how I can be "cooped up" as he calls it, but I don't miss the workforce politics, the traffic, having to get dressed up, or meeting deadlines...!
Old 09-18-2013, 04:52 AM

I'm like you a loner now and then a friend of mine will come sew with me, That is a lost day for me sewing, to busy helping her figure out her projects, LOL I do manage to crazy quilt when she is here. Someday I'll have a crazy quilt finished. LOL good thing she don't come very often or I'd already have several crazy quilts, LOL This is the only thing I can sew with her here as it is mindless sewing so her interruptions don't mess me up. Went to a guild meeting a few times 30 years ago and did not feel welcome never went to another one, that was when I first started quilting so I am now a loner and have been.