Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one? >

Am I the only one?

Am I the only one?

Old 09-18-2013, 08:21 AM

I also do not belong to guilds and enjoy quilting on my own. There are times when I would like to have a buddy who quilts, but I am choosy about who I hang out with and often times find more friendship in men than women (women, for the most part, are too gossipy and whiny when in groups). I love this forum as it gives me the opportunity to learn from many wonderful quilters without the face to face contact. Once I have figured out the pattern, I love to sit and sew away. It seems to be my "mental therapy" and works quite well! LOL
Old 09-18-2013, 08:31 AM

I agree....this board is enough group for me.

Originally Posted by mme3924 View Post
As a fellow introvert, I'm pretty much with you. I'm basically just not a joiner and tend to work alone. I keep thinking I'll visit the guild here in town where I know several members but just never have. I also like this forum, get great ideas and help here, and enjoy looking at everyone's projects. Actually, this kind of board is perfect for introverts. ;-)
Old 09-18-2013, 08:31 AM

It's so nice to find fellow introverts! {{{{{ Hugs }}}}} So many people just don't understand the need to have alone time. They equate introversion with shyness, which are two very different things!
Old 09-18-2013, 08:35 AM

I work all day and I am very outgoing, but when I get home I like to be alone with quilt. Love my weekends, when I quilt all day and night! My kids get mad at me for never wanting to go anywhere, I just tell them, I go to work now I want to be home alone and quilt!

Georgia
Old 09-18-2013, 08:40 AM

I am so glad to find you all. I have been thinking I was the only one who liked to be lone and quilt. I do love this board for all the great ideas and shared information. I try to visit as often as I can. Thanks
Old 09-18-2013, 08:41 AM

I work too many hours.. I like my alone time quilting. No one is asking me for anything when I am sewing.

Besides how many guilds would be meeting at midnight? I often sew late into the night. I can't commit anyone's schedule... but I love this quilting board. I have learned so much and gotten a lot of encouragement
Old 09-18-2013, 08:42 AM

I am another introvert. Its sad it took me 60 yrs to accept that and enjoy it. Kept trying to fit in and be like "everyone else" thought I should be. I also like my own (and my dogs) company. I like taking online classes when I can afford to. And of course all the things I pick up here is fabulous.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:47 AM

Count me in with the loners of the quilting world! I like talking to individuals, but I am not comfortable in a group setting.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:18 AM

I did my outgoing, volunteer, working, group participating, take charge when needed for many years. Now I find that I am very home loving and it's hard to get myself out to socialize.
I will reach out to help someone learn, but I won't organize a regular group, nor belong to one. I did try that, but it just didn't work for me.
I love sewing along at my own pace. I need lots of breaks due to my fibromyalgia and other issues, so it's good to be in my own place for that too.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR View Post
I am just starting to quilt again after several years. One of the things I love about it is that I can create beautiful things in my own home without having to deal with a lot of people. I know that sounds antisocial, but I am an introvert and need my quiet time (I teach for a living.). I have no desire to join a club or a guild or take a class (other than online at my own pace). I enjoy this forum very much, though. I get great ideas here, and I love seeing other's projects. Are there other lone (and happy to be that way) quilters out there, or is it just me?
Until Monday, I had been quilting by myself for over 20 years. On Monday I went to my first quilt meeting. It was okay. I think I can handle once a month. I love the quiet time when I am sewing. I turn on my music to something soothing and the hours melt away. I do like retreats where I can sew for days without having to cook or clean. I don't even mind that there are other people there. LOL