Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: am not going to make anymore for family

Blog Entries
    I aboslutely love that log cabin in your pic. Beautiful!

DO NOT give them anything next year. Tell them you did not have time as you were making purses for people who care. The buck stops there.
    My friend makes purses and we love them.
    PS... I would gladly pay for one as I love homemade things better than store. Because I appreciate that you though enough of me to put your heart and soul into it.

Keep doing what you are doing. You are a great person.

I am so sorry I made a lot of placemats, tablerunners, pillow cases for my family. My son even explained how much time went into each piece. I was so proud of him. See my family lives in Ohio and I live in Tenn. They all loved homemade things.

I'm so sory this happened to you. It is very hard to judge other people's tastes and likes or dislikes. Don't beat yourself up over it, you did a wonderful job, and put a lot of love into it while you did. Smile sweetly and give them a box of coal next year

Thanks! I've been quilting for 10 years (late bloomer) and I think it's the prettiest I've made. I've made other log cabins, but this one is my fav. I'm making a fan quilt w/eyelet lace around the fan and it's making me a little crazy!

i love what this quilter said about gifts http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-85917-1.htm

how sad people don't always apprecite what goes into making a handmade gift. next time they get the manufactured gift that has no special meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by ftkls501
    I am no longer going to make pureses for family I worked soooo hard getting every one a purse to only have them not like them. They were like oh ths is what you got us? It is not what i expected exspeacially after working so hard but one thing i have learned it is not their thing. I felt like i worked for nothing. I wish they could know how much work and love went into them.
    I am so sorry that this happened to you. I also make gifts for others and they are appreciative, at least they seem to be. No one, but a very good friend has ever made me a gift and I was so happy to receive it. I think home-made is the best -- it truly says love. I would love to get home-made.

Geri

Oh my! That is awful! I really think that people have no idea how long and how much money it takes to make things like what everyone here makes! Plus, like you said the love that you put into it. It is enjoyable to make and see the wonderful responses but if it isn't like that it sure stinks!! I am so sorry!!!!!!! HUGS!!

Sorry that this has happened to you, but I think a lot of us have had the same experience. Don't let it tarnish your love of doing what you love to do. Have a safe and Happy New Year, and above all "Be Happy".

I am sorry this happened to you it is a shame.But I do know how you feel.My mom lives with us and I take care of her and we bought her a coat and she doesn't like it, she says it is to short. Sooo there is rarely a time we can please her.So we have just decided to take it back and get our money she can go without the gift.

Gift giving isn't what Christmas is about to begin with. It has gotten way to commercialized IMHO.(In my honest opinion)

Christmas is too commercialized. Whether you buy or make gifts someone will almost always not like their present. I personally don't enjoy shopping and will not take part in the holiday madness sales, so store bought is out of the question. I would probably make neonatal or baby quilts to donate in thir name. You could take a picture of the quilt to include in the card. I would also let the offending parties know that my feelings were hurt and that it is unacceptable to be rude. Not participating in gift giving is also an option. Only give to those who are worthy to receive, doing otherwise may only continue the cycle of hurt feelings. I'm sorry your family was ungrateful and insensitive.

Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland
    Blog Entries
    The down and dirty of this thread is: Enjoy the giving!! That is where we should find our joy. The person who posted that the first part of a gift is the giving is right. I give either "mymade" or purchased, then it belongs to them. I would like it to be appreciated, but if not, I have given from my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan
    give them all a $10.00 gift certificate next year. I bet you will have to shut their mouths so their jaw doesn't hit the floor!
    I wouldn't even be that generous......

Wrap up some old socks, maybe even wear the a few days before gift wrapping. :P

My Aunt kept a list of who liked and didn't like what she gave....those who didn't like her gifts didn't get one the next holiday....LOL

Just think of it as their loss...and dont make anything else for them....some people simply do not appreciate the time and workmanship that go into a handmade product...maybe if you put your own labels on and a price tag that would give them a bit of a shock..I just hate it when I hear or read that people who are given a beautiful gift do not appreciate it...sorry for the rant but I feel really strongly about it.

i second that

I made a blue jean purse for an 18 year old and she just loved it,it was the talk of the party.
    I was thinking of the bow tucks for next xmas, I might rethink that. I don't like to be disappointed. I'll stick to making them quilts. I did make my daughter a small lap quilt and she said what am I suppose to do with that? If it would have been bigger I guess she would of liked it. I made it for her bedroom and I saw it down stairs in the FR.Well at least this time the dog wasn't laying on it. LOL

I am no longer going to make pureses for family I worked soooo hard getting every one a purse to only have them not like them. They were like oh ths is what you got us? It is not what i expected exspeacially after working so hard but one thing i have learned it is not their thing. I felt like i worked for nothing. I wish they could know how much work and love went into them.
    I had a friend do something like that to me with a quilt. She wouldn't even look at it. you find out quickly who not to do for. I wish it was pre-knowledge and not post.

tell them you have quilting friends that would take them in a new york minute if they dont care to use them. Just tell them and see how they utilize it. And then dont ever make them another thing, they apparetnly dont do any sewing or crafts and were not appreciatve of all the work there is, since the designer label wasnt their thing, i bet you will have takers on here!

remember, you gave with love...now you know how "they" feel about homemade (which is the bestmade, as my kids tell me), you know from now on to make for someone that appreciates your hard work. please do not let them ruin your holidays, it is always Christmas year round, my hugs and God bless you...your intentions were so good, and i say thank you, you have heart.

After reading of so many of you having your thoughtful loving efforts in making special gifts being regarded as nothing worth appreciating, I am so sorry! It makes me wonder though.... just what did you receive as a gift from these uncaring ungrateful persons?? Did they put any effort in choosing something special that would suit you, that you would love, as their gift to you???
    Solution: the best offered here is to give a card stating a gift of a quilt donated in thei name to a childrens hospital. Or if they EXPECT a gift... spend a few dollars (not much more) at your nearest Dollar store on something not too significant. Don't mean to sound mean, just reward these folks with their kind of effort.

Yeah, I like that dollar store kind of gift. That's about what they are worth. Spend you time making things for people who will enjoy and use them.

I have just the opposite problem. I made my mother-in-law a t-shirt quilt for Christmas. She really likes it. She has told my two nieces that I will make them one. Does she not realize how much time and money in fabric goes into making a quilt???

Kelly so sorry they let you down. I have this happen too, and it always breaks your heart. It's their loss not yours.

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 LastLast