Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: am not going to make anymore for family

Gosh, what a bummer! When someone does that to you, just say, "I'm sorry you feel that way - I worked very hard on it." That's a nice way to put THEM on the guilt trip they so richly deserve. I'm always amazed at how UNgrateful some people can be. Illigitimi non carborundum. (don't let the jerks get you down!)

okay know how you feel right about now been there down that road i have turned over a new leaf my new moto is fall down get up dust yourself off and find people who would love and appreciate the thought ,time and work put into everything you make .not gonna fall into the trap no more i would love to have one and then when they do get it they just look at it place it back down on the floor and snicker about it behind your back all done with that scene i will stick to making my quilts for charities who raffle them off to help pay for medical treatment, college scholarship for children whos parents need a little help and the ill at least those people appreciate the thought you put into your work and it lets them know someone out there took the time to care about them

Blog Entries
    I'm so sorry your art was rejected,people know not what they do when they reject something so openly given from the heart.

I guess in that way, I am very blessed. This year I gave out a set of pillow cases to my nieces and nephews, you would have thought they were made of silk. I also gave stocking stuffers to the girls(nieces), a needle case that I made. They absolutely loved them. Like I said I must be blessed.

can i join your family

Idea for next year: give all the ingrates a pretty card with a note explaining that you have donated a quilt to a child in the pediatric ward at your local hospital in their name. If they don't like that, they won't dare say so, because it would make them look like the Grinch. Then don't forget to take a tax deduction for the donation. Double revenge. Ooooh, I'm so bad!

Next year give them a $10.00 gift certificate to Walmart or something. They can pick out their own gift. hve been in your shoes before and know how it feels. It's not worth worrying about. Just keep making things for those you know will appreciate your good work and the time put into it.

So very sorry ftkls501 " Hugs to you"

I wish someone made me a purse, i love homemade items. I'm the only one in the family that gives gifts and I don't give homemade gifts. Even though I don't receive gifts from anyone ,I'm afraid they won't like what I give them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alondra
    Idea for next year: give all the ingrates a pretty card with a note explaining that you have donated a quilt to a child in the pediatric ward at your local hospital in their name. If they don't like that, they won't dare say so, because it would make them look like the Grinch. Then don't forget to take a tax deduction for the donation. Double revenge. Ooooh, I'm so bad!
    Oh this would be the ideal gift to give to people like this for it would teach them the meaning of giving.

Blog Entries
    Have this problem with some in my family. I found out over Christmas that someone in my family gave away a crocheted sweater that I had made for their firstborn. They have a second baby who could have worn it but they didn't keep it. I knows it hurts. So...hugs and sympathy from Nashville. We know you worked hard and we appreciate you.

I so found this sad and unappreciated - next year will truly be the year you sew for you! and love every minute of it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    In my family if you don't like homemade you do without!
    I do goat milk soaps, grow my own lavender to make oatmeal milk bath, sachets, candles, soaps, etc...I blend my own all natural potpourri, I blend teas, and spice rubs, make mustard, all natural apple sauce and butter, etc....so they get home made and home grown.....

So sorry, I know how this feels, but it did make you feel really good while doing it so think of that.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I commented on a lady's purse in Houston and ASked her if she made it because it was lovely, and she said "No, this is a quality purse by _____", oops sorry, a handmade one by me or a friend would be more loved than one bought just because it was made by a famous person. And besides that, the money that purse cost would buy me enough fabric for 3-4 quilts. LOL. So sorry yours weren't rec'd nicely. If they only knew how much others would cherish one....their loss. *H*U*G*S*

I am so sorry. They were very inconsiderate of you and your hard work. I can't believe they had such poor manners.

Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    In my family if you don't like homemade you do without!
    I do goat milk soaps, grow my own lavender to make oatmeal milk bath, sachets, candles, soaps, etc...I blend my own all natural potpourri, I blend teas, and spice rubs, make mustard, all natural apple sauce and butter, etc....so they get home made and home grown.....
    If you need an extra family member, where do I sign up? I LOVE homemade gifts. Even if it's something I don't use much, it's something that came from the heart and soul of the maker... what more could one ask than that?

I usually ask somebody if they would like a quilt. If they don't respond with an immediate "Sure!" then I don't ask a second time. That goes with anything I hand make. Too much effort and time goes into hand-made items for them not to be appreciated. Save those gifts for the ones that truly appreciate them. For the others, I agree that a gift card is fine.

Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alondra
    I LOVE THIS COMMENT!! I do not have the ungrateful problem, but if I did, I think I would do this!!

I worry about that myself with my sisters. Sorry to hear this for you. We work so hard on our projects and not to have everyone love them is disappointing.

Would you please adopt me? No one ever makes anything for me, while I contiually make gifts for friends and family. But I must say, everyone who gets a hand made gift thanks me and does seem to appreciate it.
    Just be selective when choosing who will get your gifts.
    Love and many hugs.
    Judy

This has happened to me too. Fortunately my granddaughter lover her quilt. Years ago, I made a beautiful Christmas tree skirt for my daughter and her family. I put a lot of work into it. Later, I saw one of the grandkids wearing it around her neck and playing with it. My daughter told me that she had changed her holiday decorating colors and it didn't fit in. At the time, I was hurt. But, I asked if I could have it back. So now I just lover having it around my gree and with perspective, I understand her feelings. She is her own person and she does like homemade, but she has her own home and her own ideas. I have had to learn to respect that. I should have learned it earlier instead of assuming what I liked, she would like. I also realize that if someone gives me something green or blue that is homemade, I will love it, but if I get something in Autumn colors, I am just going to use it. Everyone is different. This year I made 10 Christmas aprons for those I knew would like them. 3 other loved ones would never have worn them and they got store bought items. All seemed happy.

People who dont do this dont even have a clue...I am so sorry this happened to you...;(

Been there and am really slow to make much of anything for my family any longer. Christmas has lost all meaning for me as far as sharing gifts, so I don't do much any longer. I would love one of your purses, but then I'm an old lady who likes it when someone makes me something even if I could do it myself. Someday they will be in your shoes and then how will they feel. Gift cards next year and make something special for yourself and for those who do appreciate your work efforts.

Blog Entries
    Wow, that's terrible. But your story just made me think. I bought a quilted purse at the flea market and just love it. Everyone thought it was so cute. Sooooooo, I made my DD one and my DIL one a couple yrs. ago. And you know what? I just realized I have never seen either one using thiers. Boy, am I naive?

I am SO sorry. I know how hurt you are. I have been in your shoes. I know what kind of time goes into even the simplest things. There have been many years that I couldn't afford to "purchase" and gifts so I made them. I thought everyone had enjoyed my homemade gifts until recently, well about 3 years ago. Two of my three sisters thought I was "cheap" because I made them gifts. I also found out that both of my sister in laws never liked them either. None of them have ever received any of my quilts though. At the time I was making the beaded Christmas ornaments using the delicas. These would take me two weeks a piece to make. Oops, I'm sorry. Here I'm trying to make you feel better and I'm going on about my family. We all have someone in our lives that either don't know or don't care how much time and love we put into our homemade gifts.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 ... LastLast