Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: am not going to make anymore for family

I understand how you feel. I made a gift for a friend, put a lot of time and thought plus work and she opens the gift and says, "You made this. I like things from the store." Talk about a slap in the face. I almost cried in front of her. Later she comes and tells me she really liked the present, but I already had a beg dent on my heart. I never made another thing for her, or got store-bought but did give her a gift I found at a yard sale. I still have that dent on my heart, maybe it's not as big as it used to be.

I found this out the hard way too. Now I'm very picky about who I give my hard work to.
    Jean In Louisiana

Quote Originally Posted by ftkls501
    I am no longer going to make pureses for family I worked soooo hard getting every one a purse to only have them not like them. They were like oh ths is what you got us? It is not what i expected exspeacially after working so hard but one thing i have learned it is not their thing. I felt like i worked for nothing. I wish they could know how much work and love went into them.
    SO sad and rude! :cry:

I understand what you say about not holding a grudge and I do not. I just think there is too much ungratefullness in this world and those who see it should correct it if we choose. I am raising a grandson who is 10 and when he comes up with something outrageous I try to correct him and show him the right way. Today one of our other grandsons aged 7 wanted some of his videso that he has outgrown and has not watched for a long time. I tried to teach him that we needed to give these to someone who could use them and apprecitae them. Now if it was his favorite toy of all times that would be different. If this world is going to get back to basic acceptable behavior it is our responsiblity to help the change occur. Don't we teach our children to not kill, steal, lie? Well, then let us teach them how to be grateful when given a gift. If they wish to regift it, no big deal. But being rude to the giver is a big deal.

This has been a real eye opener. I am glad that I am not the only one this has happened to. It is sad that people can be so ungrateful.

Yeppers, I hear that! I had the same experience this Christmas too...only my gifts were sets of 3 kitchen towels with potholders to match...all hand embroidered! And these WERE my children! Only got a "thanks mom" from them...except from my son's lady who "ooed & awed" and my son-in-law who asked me how I did the embroidery on the machine and I told him it was all done with needle and floss by hand...he just shook his head and rolled his eyes...next year they all get coal! lol
    Here's a "I feel bad for you" (((HUG)))

I hear you. I feel the same way! I made a beautiful lap quilt(hand tied) for my Sister and she wanted to know what it was! I used Wolf fabric too! She loves wolves. I thought she would be wowed, I was so disappointed in her reaction or lack of!
    She seemed to like it better after I told her how much I had to insure it for to send to her!

One day these people will try their hand at what you did and then it will come back to them how much effort you put into the purses. Next time make them then sell them.
    "Be Happy, Don't Worry" remember that song.

Same thing happened to me when I made DD & DIL a hand emb queen size quilt. Wasn't really appreciated like I thought it should. From now on will make ONLY special requests!

Blog Entries
    I hear ya! It seems to be the way. I was persuaded into making purses and renting a booth in a consignment gift shop only to learn no one will buy them. Pretty pricey lesson. Kept hearing suggestions to make a different kind meaning more $$$ only for nothing in the end.

Wish I was on your list for I would have loved someone to pour their heart into a project for me other then DH. My daughter told me after opening her quilt Mom I need a new purse. Mine is worn out. she likes a quilted tote bag so you all know whom was making one the day after Christmas to send 520 miles northward. Her last one is 7 months old and she has never given it a day off, has not even washed it and wonders why it is worn out?

Blog Entries
    I definitely feel for you. I made a beautiful sock doll for a relative and about a year later,I asked if it was played with and was told the dog had a "great time" shredding it. On the other hand, a girl at work who I made a simple little wallet for years back, who I hardly see anymore, puts a little Christmas card in my mailbox with a Joann gift card for $20 dollars. I thanked her and said she didn't have to be this generous, her response was "I admire your talent and creativity." Guess who I am making a nice gift for next year????

I can relate to that and I don't make anything for them anymore. I had the same response as your family. Boy does that hurt after working so long and hard.

I am so sorry, you had such a bad experience over Christmas - how rude - people just don't understand what work and love goes into making something special for them.

I am sending you a hug in this email.

hopefully they will get lots of compliments on the purse they received and will begin to look at them in a different light.

but I agree, I'm sorry that your feelings were hurt, it is a crushing blow when your hard work is not appreciated, and on top of that 'belittled' by actually telling you they didn't like the purse!

shame on them

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

That's horrible. If they only knew how much time and effort it took , they would be ashamed of themselves.

Maybe thet do not like the idea that they can not take it to the store for an exchange
    Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    Some just don't get it - they think only store bought will do :roll:
    Sorry you had that experience. Some younguns learn to appreciate the work and some never learn no matter how old.
    So sorry you got the response - truly tacky :thumbdown:
    ;-)

Blog Entries
    Sorry for you, but "live and Learn!" I know how you feel as that happened to me too. But I decided I gave it as a gift to them, and what they do with it, is left with them. And sometimes it takes time for them to come to appreciate what you did and how much time it took. Hang in there, and keep giving.

So very sorry. Know how you feel. Happened to me before, too. Store bought stuff or gift cards now. Do have a few that appreciate handmade and those are the ones that I pour my heart and time into.

Blog Entries
    Can't add to all the posts except to say I'm sorry that happened. Just think....next Christmas, you can just make things for ppl you know will like them.Leaves you more time to just enjoy the season .No stress over making gifts for ungrateful ppl.

Blog Entries
    To all on this thread. Thank you my quilting buddies (men and women alike). We have each other to share and enjoy and appreciate what we all bring to each other. Everything I make and give is done with care and love on my part. I say we have many that don't have the manners we grew up with in the old days. LOL. A gracious thank you from the recipient should be the norm. Thank you to everyone that shares their work and tips and feelings. It is so helpful and puts a smile on my face each day to have others that enjoy the art of quilting! Happiest of New Years to all.

Love those purses. Last year I made several and gave them away, they were all well received. This year I made a different one and was not sure my SIL would like it. She told my hubby she does and plans to use it now. She lives 600 mi away. She sent me something that was beautiful but not to my liking. She didn't sent receit but told me I could return it if I want. I finally figured out it was the color not the item that I don't like.Once I realized it was the color, it dawned on me that in 67 years I have never had anything dark brown in my wardrobe.
    Couldn't find a replacement. Would have kept it except the jacket was way too big. People in that family seem to forget that I am petite and they are plus sizes. I will spend the money on another one when I find one as that is what she sent .

That is very disappointing. They don't appreciate your talent and the love that goes into everything you make.

It also bugs me when I don't get a thank you call or note from someone I have sent a gift to. They are taken off my list after a few tries, and a few hints at manners.

I'm so sorry you had such a hurtful experience. I have stopped making things for family because of the same reason. I made a quilt once for someone and was asked "is this one of those things you put on the floor?" Another time I made a Christmas themed quilt as a wedding gift and never even got a thank you for it. Now I make things only "on request".

Do y'all REALLY believe that if people (who do not like home-made gifts) knew how much work went into the making of them, they would suddenly like/love them or even appreciate them??? I don't think so.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast