Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
am not going to make anymore for family >

am not going to make anymore for family

am not going to make anymore for family

Old 12-27-2010, 06:26 PM

That is so sad. I have always believed handmade gifts were the absolute best! ..but unfortunately I have come to realize that not everyone shares this belief :cry: When you take the time to make a gift you are usually giving something nicer than you could afford to spend on a store bought item and yours will be made better and MADE IN THE USA how often does that happen anymore?! I have found that when someone I know does not care for "homemade" they receive a small gift certificate, maybe just a $5 one from their favorite gas/Convenience store for a cup of coffee and donut, its someplace they go and something they can use. If this is not graciously received then the next step is I donate to the local soup kitchen or food bank where I know it will be appreciated.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:35 PM

It is amusing when family is unappreciative, but if you make something and donate it the recipient is happy!

I have the same experience with my mother-in-law. Her Christmas gifts were received with, "Oh, you do much better work now than 30 years ago." Now wasn't that a backhanded compliment.

Not making anything for her....gift certificates or nothing!
Old 12-27-2010, 06:36 PM

I feel for you. I had something like that happen to me. That is why now I am so selected who gets anything I make. Now they have to mention more than once for me to make them something.
This year I made potholders and handed them out, I told people if they didn't want one it was ok, I would give it to someone else. Everyone acted like they really liked them.
But before I take the time to make a purse or larger I'm checking with them if they would use it.....Too much time and work go into them.....
Old 12-27-2010, 06:41 PM

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. I do undertand how you feel. My family isn't into homemade items. This has happened with a quilt I made for my mother that she thought she liked when I was making it. I gave it to her when I was finished only to have it replaced with a store bought comforter within a month. Live and learn I guess.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:42 PM

I am so sorry your family members didn't like the purses you made them with so much love. I remember seeing a couple of the pictures of your purses that you posted, and I would be very proud to own one !! Some people just don't "get it".
Old 12-27-2010, 06:43 PM

We are all artists and crafters in our own right...those who do not share our passions or have no patience for handcrafting gifts do not even begin to know what goes into making something especially for someone. They have no clue....so just chalk it up to their ignorance and know in your heart that you made something for them with your love. Some day they may understand.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:51 PM

I'm sorry that happened to you also; I learned the same lesson a long time ago...
:thumbdown:
Old 12-27-2010, 06:54 PM

Its a shame people can be like that. I have been a hobby artist most of my life, and I have experienced first hand how people take for granted the time and affection put into creating. They dont seem to appreciate an item was tailored for them (find that at wal-mart). Thank God there are some people that still understand the value of handmade!
Old 12-27-2010, 07:06 PM

I'm right there with you. I made my sister a table runner with matching coasters. I made sure every seam matched perfectly.
I couldn't have made it any more perfect. My whole family was at her house for Christmas. I heard that she didn't even hold it up to show anyone. Really disappointing. I agree with you, I won't be making anything for her again. On the flip side, I made a large lap quilt for my best friend and she just loved it.
At least we know we did our best, just move on to your next project, and chaulk it up to a learning experience.

Wishing you a wonderful New Year :-D
Old 12-27-2010, 07:17 PM

I worked hard with someone making a purse and there is no way I will try another......for a while anyway. Don't be to sad. They really have no idea but they could have been kinder about it. I tell anyone I give a quilt that if they do not like it it will not hurt my feelings. My dd wanted to pick their own material which was fine by me. and a younger sister saw one I was working on from off a tut and she asked who it was for and I said her if she "really" liked it. so that's the deal. I make one and if I get no feedback that will be the only one they get. not to be mean but it is a lot of work !!! especially when one is new at it !! But I will keep on making them , it is a much for me as whoever is getting it !! I pray for them as I make it too. So nothing is lost !! gentle hugs