Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: am not going to make anymore for family

I know what you mean. Made a quilt for a relative. First thing she said was "I don't like the color green". I quilt to relax so I try to put all negativity aside. I plan to only give quilts or hand-made gifts to people I know who would appreciate them.

I am sorry your feelings were hurt. In my opinion, purses are kind of 'personal'. I prefer to carry a fabric or straw bag in the summer but in the winter I want a leather one. I kid you not....I needed to replace my winter purse a few years back...it took me a couple years to find the one I ended up buying.

I am very careful when I make things for people. I do not want to put all the time and effort (and the cost) into something that is not going to be 'liked'.

Even if I didn't like it, I wouldn't say anything. However, I hate making things for people other than Christmas items, because people's tastes are different and I wouldn't want to venture a guess as to what they would like and not like as a purse.

I guess these are just life's lessons but it is also pretty cold-hearted to outright tell you they didn't like them. At least they could have kept it to themselves and re-gifted them later, but to tell you that, after all the work, was just insensitive.

This is why I donate almost everything I make. Whoever likes it, gets it and that's fine with me. I figure they won't pick it out of the donation pile if it's not their "thing" and someone else will love it later. My joy is in the making of it.

I DO understand someone not liking a certain thing we would make them. I hate the color pink and, although I wouldn't show it outwardly, I'd take it home and give it away as soon as I could, so don't keep your hurt. It's not worth it. Live and learn :)

Try not to let it get to you. I know it is hard, but people in this day and age seem to want store bought stuff. I have no clue as to WHY but you did your part and you know in your heart, you gave a gift of love. I am sorry though.

I am so sorry. I know how that hurt your feelings. I don't give my hand made gifts to anyone but my own children and grandchildren. I don't want to experience that. Those closest to me cherish my presents because they know how hard I work on them. Bless you.

jme
    Quote Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    I'm so sorry this happened to you. But what really gets me mad is that I was taught to appreciate whatever I get, as most of us have. What happened to gratitude??? Even if I don't like something I ACT as though I love it b/c I do in the sense of someone giving me a gift, handmade or bought, it IS the thought that counts!
    This was my thought too. You act like you love it even when you don't. I have received things from my mother I didn't like so much but I still wore them and appreciated them. People are just rude and you should expect more from your family!

I'm sorry you had this experience. Family can be cruel. They should be happy they received a gift alot of us didn't.I wouldn't make them anything not just purses. You put to much work and Love into them to be rejected and I wouldn't go back for seconds.jmo

I vote we should have the word BLANKET removed from the dictionary.What do you think?.

Blog Entries
    I can sympathize with you. I , too , used to make a special baby quilt for each of the new babies. In our large family that is a lot of quilts !! Each one was made with a different pattern and unique to each baby. Besides taking the time to make them , quilt them and package them I had to ship most of them as I do not live in the area of my family. Either they hated some of them or just did not have the courtesy to acknowledge a gift. A simple email would have done. Well, I quit. they no longer get quilts from Aunt Pam.

So sorry to hear that. What I not get even if you do not care for them as a purse there are many uses for them like as a toilettries bag or to just use to store things in like you have a basket standing out. I am so sorry that you got that response after all your hard work.

It just shows that they are not educated in what it takes to do something with your own hands. Do not feel bad, it is they that are loosing out. Hugs--just get them a gift certificate and gift people you know appreciate the skill it takes to create.

I will try to attach a picture of the first one I made. Guess the attachment button left - at least, I can't see it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a family similar I know it hurt your feelings and I'm sorry. I made quilts last year for a neiece and nephew and had to ask them if they like it. Needless to say she got $30 this year and since he graduated from high school he didn't get anything. We only buy for the children

I hate that for you but I know exactly how you feel. I have two step daughters that do not like anything hand made. If they only knew what goes into handmade things.....

so sorry - I don't make things for people unless they have expressed interest. Whatever happened to manners??

I wish I could have been good enough to make the purses. Still learning here! But my girls would have LOVED them! Especially Jessie! She's a bag nut! They love anything I make for them as well as the grandkids!

Well anyhow, WE here Appreciate you, and thats without gifts! ;-)

I'm so sorry that happened, but I know how you feel. I always feel so bad because I don't think anyone likes my gifts. How do you know? What are you to do? I love quilting and I'm just about ready to give all my quilts to charity. Maybe they will appreciate them. Hugs to you.

I fully understand. I not only handmake quilts and bags to give but also canned salsa and beef jerky and candy. I have been doing this for about 4 years now. So, last year when my husbands three ungrateful daughters snubbed their gifts last year, I decided they were getting a $10.00 gift card to a local clothes store where the clothes are priced outrageous. And they griped about that, and wanted to know where their beef jerky was. LOL! Victory is so sweet!

I guess we all take chances. I had a free bazzare ( or how ever you spell it) Had many different items on it, even some for men. They loved it. We all had a blast.

BMP
    Blog Entries
    So many young people this day and age are just into materialistic items and how much they cost...they wouldnt be happy no matter what.
    My sons each bought their home before the 'girls' moved in with them, my oldest asked for a quilt for his living room sofa so I will eventually make one for each of them. The girl will just have to adjust !!

I was going to make bags for my gd's, bought the pattern
    and was making a practice one...my d. told me the young
    girls are to picky and wouldn't like them...she convinced
    me not to do it..

Sad to say some people just don't appreciate the love and work that goes into what we have made especially for them. Items with them in mind. I know how you feel...it is disappointing. I made aprons for everyone and only a couple expressed what I felt was real gratitude for the item. Purses have been on my list but I have decided I'll just make those for me since I showed a couple of the purses to the kids over Christmas and the response was lukewarm at best. They told me they really really like the quilts and they do appreciate those so I guess I'll stick to the tried and true...quilts it is. Guess I'll have to get started soon to get them done for next year. :-D

I was in Walmart yesterday. There was a throng of people returning their gifts and redeeming the CASH.

No wonder people don't like our crafted gifts. They have no redeemable cash value.

I sent a beautiful quilt to my sister (age 90). I just know when she passes on her DIL will sweep up all her stuff to put into the dumpster. Her DIL is that kind of a person. She sews not, irons not, keeps house not, etc. But anyway, I wanted my sister to have the quilt that I made for her, even for a little while.

you can make me one

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast