am not going to make anymore for family >

am not going to make anymore for family

am not going to make anymore for family

Old 12-28-2010, 09:38 AM

agree
Old 12-28-2010, 09:56 AM

Yikes!!
Old 12-28-2010, 09:56 AM

I'm sorry that they do not appreciate your gifts. Please do not feel bad. It is not your loss, it's theirs.
This is what this material world of ours have taught us...only store-bought items are good enough for gifts, not knowing that someone else had done exactly how you've done the items, except, they are getting paid but no element of love was put in the making.
God bless you & be strong.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:10 AM

I'm appalled at the lack of gratitude I'm reading about on this board since the holidays. I think a lot of people could learn a lesson about being a cheerful recipient. I've always thought that the true joy of Christmas or any gifting occasion is in the giving and the recipient makes it so by appreciating The thought and effort that goes into the giver's choice of a gift. My husband is extremely hard to buy for. He's very picky. A few years ago I decided to splurge and bought him an expensive watch. He returned it and bought a flat bed trailer instead. I was terribly hurt, and I'll tell you that the joy has gone out of even trying to find something he'll like any more. There's a sense of entitlement that seems to have permeated our culture lately that I find disheartening. Many think that they are entitled to whatever desire pops into their head, and when others can't or don't respond appropriately, they're disappointed. Too bad they forget about the feelings of the giver in their disappointment. I think everybody loses as a result. Well...that was a rant. Hope it Made sense.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:24 AM

I stress so much over the things that I make for people! I always worry if they will like it, or use it, or if they would prefer a gift card.
If you aren't into crafts, you don't understand how much time, effort and love go into every single piece. Some people think that home made equals, CHEAP!! Their loss, I say!!
You can add me to the happy recipient list!! ;-) :!:
Old 12-28-2010, 10:48 AM

My greadchildren aged 5 and 7 are with me this week. They are begging for another quilt. I may be an old meanie but I asked them where the quilt was that I made for them for Christmas 2 years ago. I have pictures of them on their stockings hanging on the fireplace. I told them to go home and ask their mother where she put them and why they cannot use them. I know they are not using them because I was in their house, their house is decorated for Christmas and the quilts are nowhere in sight. I have more fabric to make them everyday quilts and I told them that but they must use their other quilt also. I will be telling her what they asked me for and asking her where the other quilts are. My quilts are not of heirloom quality. They are made to use and love and can be thrown out if they get torn up. I may be an old Scrooge but I can tell you one thing if I ever bought something for a loved one and they returned it or complained about it it would be a cold day in.... before they ever got another thing from me. I am not mean but this is one of my pet peeves. As a child we got and orange and a big peppermint candy cane for Christmas and just maybe a peice of clothing. This is why I have the opinion that I have. People have entirely too much these days. It just burdens me to think of how people would react if they truly did have literally nothing. No food, no house, no change in clothing and nowhere to aly their head at night to rest. Many people do not have these necessities. Off my band wagon now.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:32 AM

That's allright when your dead and gone they will wish you could come back and make them more wonderful things they will get payed back.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:34 AM

I am so sorry that happened to you. I happen to know the feeling. This Christmas I made the bread basket liners (put them inside a pretty little basket with a bread mix and grocery gift card), gift card holders, cute cowl-like scarves, a childs size paint apron, little tote bags filled with childrens books, crocheted necklaces, a crocheted afghan and a childs little party dress. The results were almost a dry "thanks." The girl friends of my nephews were the only ones really excited. No one realizes the amount of time that goes into these things except someone else that crafts! We can do better next year. Let's make things for ourselves! :) Live and learn. Thanks goes to all that shared patterns with me this year! I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I enjoyed making them even if they were not appreciated.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:40 AM

i'm so sorry, but I know EXACTLY how you feel. I got the same response when I made baby quilts & table runners for nieces & sis-in-law. I don't make them anything any more. I'd rather give my handmade gifts to people who appreciate & enjoy/use them. Try not to hold a grudge ~ there will be others who do appreciate your hard work & thoughtfulness.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:52 AM

I would have loved getting a purse. They just don't know how much time it took you. Next year get them a hairbrush kit. lolo