Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: am not going to make anymore for family

Dkm
    Been there, done that. I'm like you it does break your heart. The only thing I can say is they really don't know how much work and loving thought you put into them. The upside is..there are those that LOVE getting homemade gifts. You'll find them and they will appreciate your work.

My dautghter in law told me that purses were personal and it is true that we don't all like the same things. I wanted to make her something so I let her pick out a pattern and fabric that she liked. It was a tote bag to carry all her things to work.

Quote Originally Posted by ftkls501
    I am no longer going to make pureses for family I worked soooo hard getting every one a purse to only have them not like them. They were like oh ths is what you got us? It is not what i expected exspeacially after working so hard but one thing i have learned it is not their thing. I felt like i worked for nothing. I wish they could know how much work and love went into them.
    HUGS!!! :cry: I know the feeling!!! I made table runners last year..... it just made my list shorter to weed out the ones whi do not appreciate your hard work and the love behind each stitch..... this year i just made a few lap quilts for my fav sis and sis in law.... that was it...
    Make me a purse and I WILL LOVE IT!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by QUILT4JOY
    It almost sounds like they didn't even know you made them as opposed to *store-bought*. Whatever :-( Tell them how you feel. Let them know you thought about each person with love as you made their purse for them. Let them know that if they really don't like them you'll be glad to take them back to give to someone else. Ask them how they feel about your handmade gifts. If they honestly don't appreciate the gifts, it saves you worrying about trying so hard to please them.

While I wish I could please all my relatives with my art, I have found certain people don't take care of these treasures. Quilts torn to shreds by their dogs, stored in boxes under their home in the dirt becoming homes for rats and cockroaches. Yuk! (Hawaii 8-))

So yes! I'd rather save my *homemade* stuff for people who know what they're getting. With this attitude in mind I have no problems telling people if they don't want it or like it? Give it back thankyou. :oops: :oops: :lol:
    BOY!!!! oh BOY .... do I agree with you here!!! :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by LC1562
    Wow-that is so sad hear. I made totes for my co-workers last year and they loved them and this year a co-worker was having a rought time--her husband isn't working so we decided not to give this year, but I still made tissue holders and they were all so happy with them. Like it was said by someone earlier--adopt me. ;)
    Tissue holders?????? can you post a pic??!! I would like to check that out :shock: :-P :wink: :thumbup:

No manners, that is it. Everyone I know loves home made gifts. Gee Maybe next year you can give the beautiful card with a warm greeting on the inside, ( sorry mean) Can't help myself. You worked hard to give them a gift of love.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
    Oh geez,

Take them all back and send them to us.......lol
    DITTO and send one my way toooooooo!!

Sorry for the reaction of unknowing or ungreatful relatives.
    Lots of (((((Hugs)))))!!!!!!!!!

Family members and relatives are hard to please most of the time - I, too, found that out the hard way. But the members of my DH's family appreciate any hand-made item I make for them, since they know I learned quilting from their grandmother.
    The only thing my brother and SIL enjoy receiving from me are home-made cookies since they don't make them.

From WI then Denver then Houston and now Hainesville, IL
    I am with you on this.... I embroidered a towel for my SIL, two years ago, to use for Thanksgiving and she said thanks and shoved it into the kitchen drawer while I was standing right there!!! On top of that, it hasn't been brought out for any of the Thanksgivings since!!!

I will make only for my sewing friends or for myself now....
    That toss to a drawer was like getting hit by a brick!...

:(

Quote Originally Posted by ScrappyCat
    Quote Originally Posted by ftkls501
    I am no longer going to make pureses for family I worked soooo hard getting every one a purse to only have them not like them. They were like oh ths is what you got us? It is not what i expected exspeacially after working so hard but one thing i have learned it is not their thing. I felt like i worked for nothing. I wish they could know how much work and love went into them.
    Oh Dear...Last Christmas I did the same thing making quilted and hand embroidered totes for each lady or girl in my family...about 17!!! Most did not appreciate them at all, and two of them left them behind, and when I asked them about why they didn't take them, they denigned not taking them, but I had them....so I decided I'd keep them for myself since I hadn't made any for myself! I just could not believe they didn't appreciate atleast my efforts! Even a couple of my granddaughters acted like they were dumb. They were beautiful! The funny thing is that several of the men in my family were actually upset I had not made them one...and they meant it! Go figure!!!
    I love totes!!! Of all kinds. I have a kind of collection--but no quilted ones yet. I want to attempt one.

You should show them the You Tube clip of the teenage girl who has a tantrum because her dad bought her a blue sports car instead of a red one...and say no more.
    Where is this?

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmy P
    three ungrateful daughters snubbed their gifts last year, I decided they were getting a $10.00 gift card to a local clothes store where the clothes are priced outrageous. And they griped about that, and wanted to know where their beef jerky was. LOL! Victory is so sweet!
    So funny!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
    Oh geez,

Take them all back and send them to us.......lol
    ditto

Awe..I know how you feel! I made purses for family one year too, with hand sewn beads which took alot of time and love to say the least, and never saw them carry them:( Then I started making ipod and camera cases and couch caddies. I make small quilts too, just little things that I think they will use and to make sure they will really appreciate anything before I sew it, I ask them to pick out the material from my stash. I think it helps them appreciate it more when they help me choose what pattern and material before I do it for nothing! Hope this helps if you ever feel like giving it another chance:) Hugs and Cheers to thoughtful sewers like you and I. Making pillowcases is fun too. I like the pattern tutorial from www.missouriquiltcompany.com

Sorry you got that type of response. That is very, very rude and I would have been forced to tell them so. Several years ago DH and I spent a lot of money on a lazyboy recliner for his father. He was about 80 years old at the time. He gave us such a hard time over it and I seriously thought he was joking so I gave it right back to him and told him he was being extremely ungrateful because we wer thinking of him because he could not lay down to sleep. We thought he would be more comfortable sleeping in the lazyboy. When we returned later he apologixed for being so nasty. I told him that frankly I thought he was joing and he said he was not but thought better of being so nasty. He turned out to love the chair and was so grateful for it. He passed away sitting in it. I have an extremely hard time dealing with people who are nasty about things that are given to them. I would have taken them back and would not be talking to them for a few months. I was always taught to be grateful for everything that was given to me. People get on my nerves so bad with their ingrateful attitudes and I let them know about it every chance I get. I may be rude but they are ruder. People should learn to accept the gift and be gracious about it, regardless whether they like it or not.

agree

Blog Entries
    Yikes!!

I'm sorry that they do not appreciate your gifts. Please do not feel bad. It is not your loss, it's theirs.
    This is what this material world of ours have taught us...only store-bought items are good enough for gifts, not knowing that someone else had done exactly how you've done the items, except, they are getting paid but no element of love was put in the making.
    God bless you & be strong.

I'm appalled at the lack of gratitude I'm reading about on this board since the holidays. I think a lot of people could learn a lesson about being a cheerful recipient. I've always thought that the true joy of Christmas or any gifting occasion is in the giving and the recipient makes it so by appreciating The thought and effort that goes into the giver's choice of a gift. My husband is extremely hard to buy for. He's very picky. A few years ago I decided to splurge and bought him an expensive watch. He returned it and bought a flat bed trailer instead. I was terribly hurt, and I'll tell you that the joy has gone out of even trying to find something he'll like any more. There's a sense of entitlement that seems to have permeated our culture lately that I find disheartening. Many think that they are entitled to whatever desire pops into their head, and when others can't or don't respond appropriately, they're disappointed. Too bad they forget about the feelings of the giver in their disappointment. I think everybody loses as a result. Well...that was a rant. Hope it Made sense.

I stress so much over the things that I make for people! I always worry if they will like it, or use it, or if they would prefer a gift card.
    If you aren't into crafts, you don't understand how much time, effort and love go into every single piece. Some people think that home made equals, CHEAP!! Their loss, I say!!
    You can add me to the happy recipient list!! ;-) :!:

My greadchildren aged 5 and 7 are with me this week. They are begging for another quilt. I may be an old meanie but I asked them where the quilt was that I made for them for Christmas 2 years ago. I have pictures of them on their stockings hanging on the fireplace. I told them to go home and ask their mother where she put them and why they cannot use them. I know they are not using them because I was in their house, their house is decorated for Christmas and the quilts are nowhere in sight. I have more fabric to make them everyday quilts and I told them that but they must use their other quilt also. I will be telling her what they asked me for and asking her where the other quilts are. My quilts are not of heirloom quality. They are made to use and love and can be thrown out if they get torn up. I may be an old Scrooge but I can tell you one thing if I ever bought something for a loved one and they returned it or complained about it it would be a cold day in.... before they ever got another thing from me. I am not mean but this is one of my pet peeves. As a child we got and orange and a big peppermint candy cane for Christmas and just maybe a peice of clothing. This is why I have the opinion that I have. People have entirely too much these days. It just burdens me to think of how people would react if they truly did have literally nothing. No food, no house, no change in clothing and nowhere to aly their head at night to rest. Many people do not have these necessities. Off my band wagon now.

That's allright when your dead and gone they will wish you could come back and make them more wonderful things they will get payed back.

I am so sorry that happened to you. I happen to know the feeling. This Christmas I made the bread basket liners (put them inside a pretty little basket with a bread mix and grocery gift card), gift card holders, cute cowl-like scarves, a childs size paint apron, little tote bags filled with childrens books, crocheted necklaces, a crocheted afghan and a childs little party dress. The results were almost a dry "thanks." The girl friends of my nephews were the only ones really excited. No one realizes the amount of time that goes into these things except someone else that crafts! We can do better next year. Let's make things for ourselves! :) Live and learn. Thanks goes to all that shared patterns with me this year! I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I enjoyed making them even if they were not appreciated.

i'm so sorry, but I know EXACTLY how you feel. I got the same response when I made baby quilts & table runners for nieces & sis-in-law. I don't make them anything any more. I'd rather give my handmade gifts to people who appreciate & enjoy/use them. Try not to hold a grudge ~ there will be others who do appreciate your hard work & thoughtfulness.

I would have loved getting a purse. They just don't know how much time it took you. Next year get them a hairbrush kit. lolo

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast