Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another Antiques Roadshow >

Another Antiques Roadshow

Another Antiques Roadshow

Old 01-15-2014, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by tinliz View Post
If you look closer, there are several places where the blocks are coming apart. Also the quilt is not bound with continuous binding. Looks to me like a quilt as you go. Wonder if that was an innovation by the quilter to be able to quilt while she was at sea with her husband. Would like to see it up close and have a look at the back and the quilting.
I thought too that it must have been along the lines of a quilt as you go. I really wanted to see the back of the quilt also.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:22 AM

Thanks for posting this quilt. T missed it but the show will be on again on Thursday and Saturday. Different days in other areas. Check your local PBS listings.

I want to make a quilt that is that good.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:50 AM

Amazing quilt!
Appraisers have their specialties in different areas - that's why AR has the different people giving their expert opinion on the huge variety of items that they encounter. Some quilt/textile appraisers probably have their special niche/time period & style that they are more knowledgeable of.

I imagine if you had a quilt of this age and quality and you wanted to get an independent appraiser you would ask what the appraiser's specialty is ( example - civil war versus art deco) and if they had previous experience with textiles in that time period. Obviously the more experience they have with items made during that time period, the more accurate the appraisal.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:54 AM

I thought that maybe the quilt was designed that way. The slit being on the bottom would allow for a warming pan to be slid into the bed without disturbing all the covers. A warming pan was a device that held hot coals for warming a bed. It had a long handle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_warmer
Old 01-15-2014, 07:21 AM

I wondered the same thing.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:24 AM

Question: I have a top pieced approx 80 yr age, postage stamp triangles, large, pieced by grandparents in TN. I do not know what to do with it. I would like to thoughts
Old 01-15-2014, 08:19 AM

Spinner - you could probably contact one of the American Quilt Society Appraisers in your area for advice. If you look at their mission statement and training program, you can see that they are unbiased, very knowledgeable and can tell you about options and care.
Here is a link to find one in your area
http://www.americanquilter.com/quilt...appraisers.php

AQS is also affiliated with "The Professional Association of Appraisers - Quilted Textiles" who are listed as consultants for the National Quilt Museum in Paducah, Kentucky.
http://www.quiltappraisers.org/

Our guild had a certified appraiser who is a member of the CQS (Canadian Quilting Society) come and give a seminar and it was very interesting and enlightening. She offered lots of tips and info using samples that she brought from her own collection and also from guild members. She also talked about the National American and Canadian Quilt Registry program.
She also said that even though you may not get/pay for an "appraisal", most of the certified appraisers will freely offer info and options so that you can determine what to do with your "treasure". The appraisal costs vary with the appraiser and usually range from about $40 - $65 which will include a written document of the details of the quilt and value.

Last edited by costumegirl; 01-15-2014 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

beautiful piece
Old 01-16-2014, 09:53 PM

I am in awe of the history of quilting. I was thinking as others were that it was possible QAYG, to think they had the idea to do that sort of thing over a hundred years ago. It reminds me of the saying - The more things change the more they are the same. The woman that put that quilt together was awesome. She did beautiful work.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:38 AM

Isn't it a shame that the makers of such lovely quilts that can bring that kind of revenue are no longer here to enjoy the rewards? I have seen some remarkable quilts that I am sure the maker would be so proud of if they were to see the value now