Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another dilemma in taking classes >

Another dilemma in taking classes

Another dilemma in taking classes

Old 07-19-2012, 07:01 AM

I would smile and keep on doing what I was doing or just pack up and leave.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:14 AM

Reading this and the other thread I felt bad because there are some very good teachers out there. When I teach I run my classes through the Community College so the student can complete the whole quilt in a quarter. Students get a better break on the class and I can teach from beginning to the end. Students that don't complete the project do so because they do not do the home work. You can teach a technique in one class but quilts are made up of a lot of techniques and it all takes time Rome wasn't built in a day and neither are our quilts. Teaching and learning should be fun, I have learned a lot on my own but when I take a class I learn so much more. Yes sometimes it is what not to do but life is a lesson we are all learning from.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:46 AM

I tend to be a fast learner/worker also and I'm pretty much always ahead of the rest of the class. I have had experiences with teachers who will point that out - some more nicely than others. Their degree of "nice" determines whether they will see my face again (LOL). I think some teachers are rather insecure, which makes them react in such a way. Like you, I would have felt very uncomfortable with the situation, but probably would not have the guts to walk out (although I would have liked to). Especially in this instance, when it was a group but not a paid class.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:19 AM
Power Poster

At every class I've taken good or bad I've learned something.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Pat G View Post
No, she wasn't trying to be funny. This was my first encounter with this particular woman so we didn't know ea. other. I just wanted to know how to do EPP which I had never heard of before that. I do think twice before committing to classes there now to see how serious anybody else is about it. It's very frustrating when I really want to learn something though.
I take open classes which are excellent, only twelve people, different levels, but the instructor is very clear on what she can help with - for example, she does not teach machine-quilting in the class as that is like a separate discipline from cutting and piecing and borders and bindings. She offers personal attention, giving assistance and direction to each class member. If works GREAT!

I don't know how anyone can 'instruct' a class when there are all different levels and projects. I wouldn't walk out in a snit, Miss Manners won't let me, but I sure would find a good reason not to go back!!!
Old 07-19-2012, 08:41 AM

I don't take classes because I get nervous cutting in class. My ruler slips and every cutting problem that can happen will. I have been sewing/quilting since needles were invented so I can cut. I just don't like all the negative attention that comes when I am trying to concentrate. People (including teachers) assume that I don't know anything and therefore, zoom in on me and try to stop me before I continue "to make sure" that I don't do anything wrong. If I can go to a quiet spot in the room, I can cut and continue "to be normal" like everyone else.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Pat G View Post
After just reading the thread about taking classes & the instructor focusing on one or two top students (or friends), I've had just the opposite experience. I've been in a cpl. of classes with people who didn't even know how to thread a needle. A handsewing needle. Never did understand why they were even there.

I have taught classes in other hobbies including some quilting & because I tend to catch onto things fast & am good with my hands, I sat quietly working on the project (English Paper piecing) til the instructor noticed I was working ahead. Instead of recognizing my experience & letting me go, she made sarcastic remarks because I wouldn't stay behind with the nonsewers. Didn't make sense & was embarrassing.

If I had held back I would have had to just sit there doing nothing. Everybody was working at different levels but most weren't interested in learning what was being taught. It wasn't a paid class but a grp. of friends.

How would you have handled this?
The same thing happened to me when I was in second grade and the nun caught me working ahead in my math workbook. I felt the same way then that you did. Still feel that was counterproductive and stupid.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Latrinka View Post
I've never taken a class, and after reading so many negative things about them on here, probly never will. There's plenty to learn for free on the internet.
I can't think of a class that I didn't learn something or enjoy and never had a teacher like the one in this posting. Too bad. Don't deprive yourself, you might miss something special.

Alot of good replies to this 'dilemma' but in my more senior moments I think I would have told the teacher I didn't appreciate her comment and that it detracted from her teaching skills and word of mouth is the best referral and she would NOT be getting mine. Or something like that. If I didn't think of it at the moment, which someone else mentioned that they don't think of a good retort until too late, I would tell her after class.

I don't like to be mean or rude but I don't need to suffer thru it from others either.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:56 AM

What would I have done, before or after I smacked her up side of her head? How rude!!!!
Old 07-19-2012, 09:13 AM

When I first read what Pat G wrote, this was also my thought.....I've taught many classess and when I had someone that was working ahead, I gave her many "grats". I did have a class I took with my mother one time, and the teacher didn't like that we both were ahead, adn made comments, but I proceeded onward, my mother on the other hand felt bad. I told her to ignore her and enjoy herself. Needless to say, we never took another class with her.
Originally Posted by QuiltingCrazie View Post
My response I realize is going to sound awful but honestly I would have left. When my fun gets ceased I'm done for the day!! Quilting is fun and when you get together is supposed to be fun, challenging or just go with the flow yet so many people make it competitive and try really hard to make someone else feel inferior. I love this board because when there is a "bad seed" in quilting you can always come here and it's a total support system of positive reinforcement!!!