Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Another dilemma in taking classes

I've never taken a class, and after reading so many negative things about them on here, probly never will. There's plenty to learn for free on the internet.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Quote Originally Posted by Latrinka View Post
    I've never taken a class, and after reading so many negative things about them on here, probly never will. There's plenty to learn for free on the internet.
    Oh gosh, please don't deny yourself the fun of a good class based on some negative comments! There are just as many positive posts, I do believe! I've had a few random classes, mostly good, some not so good. The one with the bad teacher was the one I didn't go back to. Nor did my friends. But, we found another one who was great.

Blog Entries
    I think I would write a small note to the owner/manager of the shop (or the teacher is she is the owner/manager) saying that you didn't pay money and take time out of your day to have this type of treatment in class. If I was an owner/manager, I would want to know that this is happening. If I was also the teacher, I would want to know that my attitude is causing problems.
    Kathyj

Being a first grade teacher, when I don't want my kids to move ahead there are things you can do. One, for example, is to pair yourself (being advanced in this class) with someone who is struggling. That way she just doubled her chances of moving the rest of the class to where you are. I'm sure you would have been happy to help someone even though it's not your class. She should have played with your strengths and not shot you down for them. I'm sorry you had to go through that. How frustrating. But it sounds like you handled yourself with dignity and honestly, I don't know what I would do in that situation. I am snarky and probably would have said something equally as rude right back to her... in a joking manner so feelings don't get hurt but she still knows that she was out of line.

So are you finished with the class or do you have to go back for a few more classes?

Quote Originally Posted by teddysmom View Post
    I'm always a little skeptical about taking classes for the reasons mentioned. I find "googling" will give me videos, etc that I can watch at my own pace and usually accomplish what I needed.
    i agree with teddysmom. I've taken a couple of classes but get much more out of the tutorials (Missouri Star)
    and this board.

Blog Entries
    I would smile and keep on doing what I was doing or just pack up and leave.
    TxCaRose

Reading this and the other thread I felt bad because there are some very good teachers out there. When I teach I run my classes through the Community College so the student can complete the whole quilt in a quarter. Students get a better break on the class and I can teach from beginning to the end. Students that don't complete the project do so because they do not do the home work. You can teach a technique in one class but quilts are made up of a lot of techniques and it all takes time Rome wasn't built in a day and neither are our quilts. Teaching and learning should be fun, I have learned a lot on my own but when I take a class I learn so much more. Yes sometimes it is what not to do but life is a lesson we are all learning from.

I tend to be a fast learner/worker also and I'm pretty much always ahead of the rest of the class. I have had experiences with teachers who will point that out - some more nicely than others. Their degree of "nice" determines whether they will see my face again (LOL). I think some teachers are rather insecure, which makes them react in such a way. Like you, I would have felt very uncomfortable with the situation, but probably would not have the guts to walk out (although I would have liked to). Especially in this instance, when it was a group but not a paid class.

Blog Entries
    At every class I've taken good or bad I've learned something.
    Got fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat G View Post
    No, she wasn't trying to be funny. This was my first encounter with this particular woman so we didn't know ea. other. I just wanted to know how to do EPP which I had never heard of before that. I do think twice before committing to classes there now to see how serious anybody else is about it. It's very frustrating when I really want to learn something though.
    I take open classes which are excellent, only twelve people, different levels, but the instructor is very clear on what she can help with - for example, she does not teach machine-quilting in the class as that is like a separate discipline from cutting and piecing and borders and bindings. She offers personal attention, giving assistance and direction to each class member. If works GREAT!

I don't know how anyone can 'instruct' a class when there are all different levels and projects. I wouldn't walk out in a snit, Miss Manners won't let me, but I sure would find a good reason not to go back!!!
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

I don't take classes because I get nervous cutting in class. My ruler slips and every cutting problem that can happen will. I have been sewing/quilting since needles were invented so I can cut. I just don't like all the negative attention that comes when I am trying to concentrate. People (including teachers) assume that I don't know anything and therefore, zoom in on me and try to stop me before I continue "to make sure" that I don't do anything wrong. If I can go to a quiet spot in the room, I can cut and continue "to be normal" like everyone else.
    Happy sewing and quilting,

Janet

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat G View Post
    After just reading the thread about taking classes & the instructor focusing on one or two top students (or friends), I've had just the opposite experience. I've been in a cpl. of classes with people who didn't even know how to thread a needle. A handsewing needle. Never did understand why they were even there.

I have taught classes in other hobbies including some quilting & because I tend to catch onto things fast & am good with my hands, I sat quietly working on the project (English Paper piecing) til the instructor noticed I was working ahead. Instead of recognizing my experience & letting me go, she made sarcastic remarks because I wouldn't stay behind with the nonsewers. Didn't make sense & was embarrassing.

If I had held back I would have had to just sit there doing nothing. Everybody was working at different levels but most weren't interested in learning what was being taught. It wasn't a paid class but a grp. of friends.

How would you have handled this?
    The same thing happened to me when I was in second grade and the nun caught me working ahead in my math workbook. I felt the same way then that you did. Still feel that was counterproductive and stupid.
    Stephanie in Mena

Quote Originally Posted by Latrinka View Post
    I can't think of a class that I didn't learn something or enjoy and never had a teacher like the one in this posting. Too bad. Don't deprive yourself, you might miss something special.

Alot of good replies to this 'dilemma' but in my more senior moments I think I would have told the teacher I didn't appreciate her comment and that it detracted from her teaching skills and word of mouth is the best referral and she would NOT be getting mine. Or something like that. If I didn't think of it at the moment, which someone else mentioned that they don't think of a good retort until too late, I would tell her after class.

I don't like to be mean or rude but I don't need to suffer thru it from others either.
    Warm quilt hugs, Sue in CA
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PostCardMailArt

Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death....Rosalind Russell

What would I have done, before or after I smacked her up side of her head? How rude!!!!

When I first read what Pat G wrote, this was also my thought.....I've taught many classess and when I had someone that was working ahead, I gave her many "grats". I did have a class I took with my mother one time, and the teacher didn't like that we both were ahead, adn made comments, but I proceeded onward, my mother on the other hand felt bad. I told her to ignore her and enjoy herself. Needless to say, we never took another class with her.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingCrazie View Post
    My response I realize is going to sound awful but honestly I would have left. When my fun gets ceased I'm done for the day!! Quilting is fun and when you get together is supposed to be fun, challenging or just go with the flow yet so many people make it competitive and try really hard to make someone else feel inferior. I love this board because when there is a "bad seed" in quilting you can always come here and it's a total support system of positive reinforcement!!!
    "We can never have too much fabric" and "May the Fabric Fairy always keep your stash filled".

Robinlee

Blog Entries
    I would have politely said it was time for tea, and left. No reason to be stressed, just leave the situation. Make up any excuse and find some new supportive friends.

At my very first quilting class I really, really wanted to learn and there was a mother/daughter than didn't remember to bring their sewing machine and another lady that didn't have her fabric yet and another that was helpless and needy that never did her homework and chattered about whatever drama she was experiencing during class instead of sewing. It did get very frustrating but the instructor handled it very well and finally had to tell the needy lady that she was welcome to come to the next group of beginner classes if there was room but that she (the instructor) had to move on with the rest of the class so we could stay on schedule. Had the instructor made the sarcastic comment to me that she made to you I would have been horribly embarrassed, kept my mouth shut (hopefully!) and gathered my stuff up, left, and never came back.

Suzy

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have been in similar situations as well and I jump ahead too. If anyone gives me grief, I give it right back - usually with a smile.

I have taken several classes that were for beginners (I wanted to make the quilt that was featured). At various times the instructor has told the others in class to watch what I was doing--chain piecing and then called me "over achiever". However she did not embarrass me or speak with sarcasm so it did not offend me. I think I agree with the others and I would have packed up and gone home.
    Sue

Oh my gosh, I am laughing so hard at you. I'm not a confrontational person so "slapping upside the head" isn't in my personality. I appreciate your thought though.

I think I should describe this "class" situation better. We're in an RV park for the winter from all over the country & Canada & it's hard to find volunteers to do diff. classes. Ann offered to do this Eng. paperpiecing class. The ones who had never touched a needle before were there mostly to support the volunteer teacher. Just to fill a seat. I still can't understand why they were there though since they came with the right supplies. Some of us were actually there to learn because Ann is very good at EPP. We're a grp. of friends & neighbors so in spite of Ann hurting my feelings, I didn't feel it warranted walking out. It isn't in my nature to do that anyway.

I've done craft classes where the "students" had no idea what they were doing so we just laughed & helped ea. other. It was hysterical the day we did flower fairies on my back deck. Or the various beaded angels where very few could thread a beading needle. It's easy to pick out the helpers so I do rely on them for help.

To those of you who say they'd not attend classes after my orig. comment, please at least either ask questions first or give it one chance. Then just relax & have fun.

I don't know how many of you will actually get to this msg. since it will be way down the line in the msgs. but it's been fun to hear the different opinions & experiences.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by MimiBug123 View Post
    What would I have done, before or after I smacked her up side of her head? How rude!!!!

Sarcastic remarks or putting someone down is not a way to be funny or recognize someone's accomplishments. That kind of behavior is not acceptable in any situation!

I just had a similar experience with a class I was taking. The instructor was busy helping others so I continued on with the project. When he, the instructor, came back to me I told him I was getting a head start on the next part. We joked about and both him and I were fine. That instructor sounds like he/she was a bit controlling. Good luck next time.
    Miz Kyp aka Margie

Blog Entries
    Sorry you had this experience. She wasn't a teacher if she had to belittle you for catching on so quick. That's the trouble with inferior people, "they would rather tear you down to their level instead of reaching up to your level". As teddysmom said you can google most things and get videos and information, but human contact is nice too. Remember just because someone has mastered the art of doing something does not make them a teacher. IMO a teacher is someone who wants to give you information and direction and then encourages you as you learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz92B View Post
    being Canadian, would have apologized for being too advanced ... {snicker}
    Being a just-plain-wiseacre, this would have been my reaction, too.

Quote Originally Posted by MimiBug123 View Post
    Oh please! Both sides of the statement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast