Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another Joann's AAAAGGGHHH story >

Another Joann's AAAAGGGHHH story

Another Joann's AAAAGGGHHH story

Old 12-25-2009, 07:53 PM
Power Poster

They need to educate their people.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:35 PM

Here's my aarrggghh JoAnn's story along with a happy JoAnn story. I was given $120 in gift cards by hubby, son, and mom (along with $50 to my favorite LQS!). I went to JoAnn on Saturday, but it looks like they anticipated that all the quilters would come - they put every bit if quilting cotton on sale for $1 off. Wow. Big deal. A whole $1 off. That meant that you couldn't use your coupons. I had 5 different coupons for 40-50% off and was hoping to get 5 - 6 yards each of some good fabric (blacks/whites/creams) and use the coupons. Oh well. I'll wait until they're back to full price. But all was not lost - I went over to their red tag bins, and found all kinds of good quality quilting cotton in colors and patterns I liked for $3-5 a yard. I stocked up on 1/4 and 1/2 yard cuts

What I really liked was getting lots of extra "end-of-bolt" cuts - if you know roughly what's left on a roll, and ask for less than that, they give you the rest at half price. So I got lots of extra fabric for $1.50-2.50 a yard. Wheeee!
Old 12-27-2009, 06:55 PM

They always give "end-of-bolt" discounts - even on the regular-priced fabrics (including the expensive batiks), and I don't have to ask for it. It has to be when you ask for less than what's left - and they want to get rid of the remaining. It's usually when there's just a yard or less. I paid full price, though, on some other fabric, when I wanted MORE than what was on the bolt and wanted all they had on two almost-empty bolts. (But it was worth it - it was a white-on-cream print that I use for backgrounds on lots of quilts.) And yes, I definitely will go back and use those coupons!
Old 12-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Power Poster

Did you get your EQ program for Christmas this year?
Old 12-27-2009, 07:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cyndi H
Here's my aarrggghh JoAnn's story along with a happy JoAnn story. I was given $120 in gift cards by hubby, son, and mom (along with $50 to my favorite LQS!). I went to JoAnn on Saturday, but it looks like they anticipated that all the quilters would come - they put every bit if quilting cotton on sale for $1 off. Wow. Big deal. A whole $1 off. That meant that you couldn't use your coupons. I had 5 different coupons for 40-50% off and was hoping to get 5 - 6 yards each of some good fabric (blacks/whites/creams) and use the coupons. Oh well. I'll wait until they're back to full price. But all was not lost - I went over to their red tag bins, and found all kinds of good quality quilting cotton in colors and patterns I liked for $3-5 a yard. I stocked up on 1/4 and 1/2 yard cuts

What I really liked was getting lots of extra "end-of-bolt" cuts - if you know roughly what's left on a roll, and ask for less than that, they give you the rest at half price. So I got lots of extra fabric for $1.50-2.50 a yard. Wheeee!
I love those end of bolt discounts and their red tagged fabrics :D:D:D
Old 12-27-2009, 07:55 PM
Power Poster

Yes, I shop at JoAnns regularly :D:D:D
Old 12-28-2009, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bevanger
i hate when that happens. i wish they'd hire ppl who know about sewing.
I don't get the impression that is something that is high on their list. When I applied to Joann's I was told I was too qualified. :shock: Um, okay.

Originally Posted by Loretta
My Joanns has never given me any discount if I buy the rest of the bolt! Do you have to ask for it? I am glad you found some goodies and when you go back later, you can use your coupons. Right?
My Joanns usually won't do this, unless they simply don't want to hang onto the fabric. And it seems to depend on who is working as to whether I can get this discount or not. :hunf:

Here is something I just learned from a gal who works at my Joanns. She's been there for many years and is one of the few gals I trust. We were discussing fabric and the fact that cotton fabrics have a natural mold that grows on them. I learned this because of having allergy tests done and finding out I'm highly allergic to this type of mold. (Another excellent reason to wash fabric the moment I get it home!) Interestingly enough, she told me that the majority of the fabric they get comes from out of country and that when it is imported it is first fumigated (spelling?) and then sprayed with insecticides because of all the bugs and stuff that come with the fabric. She said there are times she is stunned by some of the things they find that come along in those boxes of fabric & if people realized it they would always wash their fabrics before using them. :( Okay, EW!!!!!
Old 12-28-2009, 10:13 PM

My Joanns doesn't carry eq6 either. I asked too and they did not know what it was, asked around and finally found someone that knew but said they did not carry it. Seems to be an epidemic lately that they don't know or don't have what you need.But on the up side someone remembered us and something we shopped for on a previous trip. Since they get so much of my money every month, I say they should know my address and phone number too. These new big stores are not as nice as the little fabric stores they used to be.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Loretta
My Joanns has never given me any discount if I buy the rest of the bolt! Do you have to ask for it? I am glad you found some goodies and when you go back later, you can use your coupons. Right?
I always get the end of the bolt discount too. Say I ask for 3 yards of material and there is 3 and 1/2 yards on the bolt. They'll ask if I want to get the rest of the bolt for a discount. My daughter and I almost always take the discount.
:lol:
Old 12-29-2009, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by kapatt

I always get the end of the bolt discount too. Say I ask for 3 yards of material and there is 3 and 1/2 yards on the bolt. They'll ask if I want to get the rest of the bolt for a discount. My daughter and I almost always take the discount.
:lol:
Yup - so learn the trick to estimating how much is left on the bolt, and then asking for a little bit less. If there's less than a yard left, that's what you can get at (usually) 50% off.

I also ALWAYS scope out their racks of remnants.