Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another pet peeve >

Another pet peeve

Another pet peeve

Old 06-28-2022, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by RN-Quilter View Post
You miss the point....I am glad the rich keep the shops open, and I am very happy tor them if they can afford the best money can buy....

The point is: There are people who put on airs of "I and mine are better than yours" --- these people should not look down on those who use men's shirts or any other kind of fabric.
The end-product is just as good and lovely and usable as the expensive one.

I am sure this thread was not started to create a squabble, but to let every one air their own pet peeve.
We don't have to be keyboard warriors...let us agree to disagree. Play nice, as my mom used to say.😊
RN- I think I did indeed miss your point.
I thought you were making a blanket statement and apparently you were talking about people who put on airs which is also something I think poorly of. There's no need for that in any situation! And yes, your Mom was right
Old 06-28-2022, 06:51 PM

Interesting thread. I spent Saturday working with my 4-Hers on their quilt projects for our quilting club. Each of the leaders had their own way of doing hand quilting, Big Stitch and machine quilting. We kept reminding the members that there are no quilt police. And it's Their quilt not anybody else's. AS long as it fulfills the requirements of the project that's all we want - a center piece with borders, some machine quilting, some hand quilting, some Big Stitch and then finished as required (binding, self-binding, some way to hang a wallhanging....)
Old 06-29-2022, 09:06 AM

Another pet peeve is excess verbosity, especially in quilt videos demonstrating a technique. Just say what you need to say, I don't need or want to hear about what happened to your scissors last week, or about some silly thing your dog did, or that you're taking your car through the car wash, etc. Same goes for any recipe you find on the internet. Why do they have to post their life story, with the recipe (finally!) at the end of it??
Old 06-29-2022, 09:34 AM

My pet peeve is when a pattern designer's cutting directions use the full 18" width of a fat quarter. Depending on the fabric manufacturer, a fat quarter may just barely be 18" wide, or less so once you trim it to get your cuts on grain. So you have to cut as carefully as someone dismantling a bomb and just roll with your pieces being off grain and fraying more easily.

I also have a pet peeve about about cutting pieces to an eight of an inch measurement. I'll grumble and do it anyway, or cut them slightly oversized if I've got enough fabric, but I love any pattern I can cut with my Creative Grids Stripology ruler.

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Another pet peeve is excess verbosity, especially in quilt videos demonstrating a technique. Just say what you need to say, I don't need or want to hear about what happened to your scissors last week, or about some silly thing your dog did, or that you're taking your car through the car wash, etc. Same goes for any recipe you find on the internet. Why do they have to post their life story, with the recipe (finally!) at the end of it??
I agree. I think these video makers think they're making themselves more relatable or giving their content feel more cozy like you're hanging out with a quilting friend. Sometimes we're not as entertaining as we think lol.

Last edited by Unicorn Quilts; 06-29-2022 at 09:37 AM.
Old 06-29-2022, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I agree. I recently watched (actually fast forwarded thru) a 35 minute quilt tutorial from a major retailer that could have been reduced to less than 15 without all the useless chatter and unnecessary details like chain stitching, pressing and trimming 36 HST in real time!

Last edited by SueZQ from MN; 06-29-2022 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-29-2022, 10:59 AM
Power Poster

Thank goodness there are so many videos out there. You have to pick and choose who you like to watch. After a few that aren't your style, you learn who to watch and follow only them.
Old 06-30-2022, 04:35 AM

Peckish- I agree with you 100%.
Old 06-30-2022, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

I don't mine the small talk in quilt videos. I watch them for entertainment when I'm in my sewing room. The get to the point right now videos have their place and I watch those too.
Old 07-01-2022, 03:39 AM

My pet peeve is the one lady who is Miss Know it All. Always butting in telling everyone they are doing it wrong, or the colors don't go together. My favorite is when she says if it were my quilt I'd do it differently. The last time that happened I told her she wasn't me.
Old 07-01-2022, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by RN-Quilter View Post
My pet peeve is fabric snobs....those who use ONLY, DEFINITELY and ABSOLUTELY 100% quilting cotton.
"Oh...you spend so much time on it...use only the best of everything to make it worth your time.."

They forget where and how and why quilts were made.

It seems people have taken the poor man's blanket and is now trying to make it into a rich man's prerogative.
The rich have always been able to afford the best....it is the poor who had to make do with bits and pieces to make something out of nothing.

And on the same note are those pin (only glass-head pins, you know)and machine snobs....

🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢
If you are just making something to throw on the floor or take to the beach, then go ahead and use whatever. But if you are putting a lot of time and effort into a quilt, and want it to last past your lifetime, then good fabric is the way to go. There is room in the quilt world for both kinds of quilts.

I guess my pet peeve is me looking at a piece of batik fabric, turning it over and over, trying to decide which is the right side!