Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another pet peeve >

Another pet peeve

Another pet peeve

Old 07-07-2022, 04:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lena1952 View Post
My pet peeve from the perspective of working in a quilt shop: people coming into the shop for backing who do not know the measurements of their quilt or how to determine how much backing fabric to purchase. Or those who come for backing and do NOT bring their top or know the measurements expecting you to determine how much backing fabric they need and expect you to figure it out for them. If you have quilted for some time you should be able to determine how much backing/binding fabric to purchase. Thank you for letting me get "that" of my chest:-)
It is almost as annoying to be "next in line" to that person as to the associate attempting to help him/her.
Old 07-07-2022, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by peckish View Post
this reminded me of the story of a conversation overheard at a quilt show, one woman turned to her companion and said she could never be a longarm quilter because her arms were too short! 🤣🤣🤣
OMG! So funny!
Old 07-07-2022, 06:11 PM

I've been quilting so long and have finally learned how to smile and nod and say "thanks for letting me know" in an annoyingly perky voice when I get unsolicited quilting advice. I suspect a lot of people think I'm a dolt!

There are "police" in every field and hobby. My husband is a fly fisherman and he's been told he doesn't know what he's doing for 40 years. He's got the "smile and nod" response down. Actually, I think I learned it from him!

I believe that people who always "know better" are insecure about their own skill set, or just cranky and controlling in all aspects of their lives. I refuse to let them bother me, and there's no point in arguing with them because they will never admit they're wrong about anything. If you let them bother you, they win.

​​​​​
Old 07-08-2022, 02:39 AM

My pet peeve is someone writting about a new subject that they need answers to. Then somone else joins in and gets the topic of conversation off on something else that isn't quite related...and it keeps going from there. Stick to the original subject matter!

Old 07-08-2022, 04:11 AM

I was in a fabric store recently and the clerk was informing another customer that a fat quarter was equal to a half yard of fabric. I intervened to say, no its a fourth yard, thus fat quarter. The clerk was hateful and said 18 inches is a half yard. I told the customer it's half as wide so it's a fourth. She was buying for a large project and I just couldn't let her be misdirected.
my pet peeve: stores who don't train their staff.
Old 07-08-2022, 04:28 AM
Power Poster

The You Tube ads are in the video not on the site. You can watch all of it or click skip ads. Only way to get rid of them is to pay the subscription fee. You can't fast forward through them.
Old 07-08-2022, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
The You Tube ads are in the video not on the site. You can watch all of it or click skip ads. Only way to get rid of them is to pay the subscription fee. You can't fast forward through them.
I don't get any ads on Youtube and I frequent that site all the time. It must be the ad blocker my techie friend put on my computer.
Old 07-08-2022, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

I would much prefer getting/hearing a "I don't know" to being given wrong/inaccurate information.

I do not expect everyone (all associates) to know everything about everything related to whatever is being sold in that store.
However, I do expect (hope) that they are all on the ball enough to be willing to check out new things or verify information before sharing it.

Old 07-08-2022, 06:12 AM

Yes to asking if you don’t know. Is that a pride thing? Or maybe looking a fool for not knowing? Either way, it’s ok to ask. The Bible tells me so.
Old 07-09-2022, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by DebLuvsQuiltng View Post
I was in a fabric store recently and the clerk was informing another customer that a fat quarter was equal to a half yard of fabric. I intervened to say, no its a fourth yard, thus fat quarter. The clerk was hateful and said 18 inches is a half yard. I told the customer it's half as wide so it's a fourth. She was buying for a large project and I just couldn't let her be misdirected.
my pet peeve: stores who don't train their staff.
Wow, good thing you were there to set them straight. I would have let the store owner know about it. For one thing, if she is continuing her misinformation, the store is losing out on sales.