Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another pet peeve >

Another pet peeve

Another pet peeve

Old 07-01-2022, 07:12 AM

Default Batik pet peeve

@ptquilts , that is mine too! Hah. I love batik. Every time I get stuck with the batik side
​dilemma i tell myself, "if you can't tell now, you'll never be able to tell. Keep moving..."
Old 07-05-2022, 10:06 AM

I agree with several of these, especially "Quiltsfor" Yacking videos. I love learning from videos and those that just carry on makes watching the videos stressful for me!
Another video pet peeve - Sometimes I want to learn a technique, and so many videos teach the technique using a very small quilt. When I plan to do that technique in a large quilt sometimes the video is not helpful.
HUSBAND PET PEEVE - My husband delights in saying that "Quilting is taking perfectly good fabric, cutting it all apart and then sewing it back together." He is EXTREMELY supportive of my quilting...but...
Old 07-05-2022, 11:36 AM
Power Poster

One of mine is - when watching a video - all the parts that I get/understand, is done in slow motion.

The part that I did not get - is gone over very quickly or not shown in detail - even when watching for it over and over and over - I still don't get it.

Frustrating.

The ads in the middle of a youtube video.
Old 07-05-2022, 02:10 PM
Power Poster

The ads are getting more and more invasive. Of course they want you to pay for no ads for $15 a month. I watch the ones with no ads and shop from them.
Old 07-05-2022, 03:14 PM

I have an adblocker on the PC and don't see most ads on Youtube. A lot of creators are talking about their sponsors as part of the video, I'm OK with that.
Old 07-07-2022, 05:21 AM
Power Poster

I have a Mac and don't see any ads. I think our techie friend put an ad blocker on mine.
Old 07-07-2022, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

I guess I'm lucky. I've been quilting over 15 years now, and have run into only one person who might possibly be in the quilt police. And during that time I've belonged to 5 different guilds in two states, attended probably close to 100 quilt shows, and associated mostly with other quilters, who have been both supportive and helpful. Some people have urged me to label my quilts, but I don't think of that as quilt policing. It's just someone telling me that my work is worthy of acknowledgment. And I agree that I should label my quilts, just as I agree with my doctor that I should lose weight...

The one person who might be in the quilt police? That was a lady I overheard at a quilt show, explaining to her male companion that the quilt they were looking at was more easily made than he might think, because the dense quilting had been done on a longarm. After they left I got a closer look and found it was actually hand quilted!

Old 07-07-2022, 10:37 AM

‘Hand quilted’, wonder why she was being authoritative….

At guild today, before showing my label-less quilts, I asked for a volunteer…the label police lady volunteered. Maybe I miss read what was going on.
Old 07-07-2022, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
a lady I overheard at a quilt show, explaining to her male companion that the quilt they were looking at was more easily made than he might think, because the dense quilting had been done on a longarm.
This reminded me of the story of a conversation overheard at a quilt show, one woman turned to her companion and said she could never be a longarm quilter because her arms were too short! 🤣🤣🤣
Old 07-07-2022, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
This reminded me of all the arguments that arose when longarms started gaining in popularity, and people refused to call quilts that had been longarmed "quilts". I have a male family member who likes working with wood. He made a small table that sits in my mom's entryway. I made my mom a quilt (she loved) that had been quilted on my longarm. When she showed it off to him, he said that it wasn't a quilt because it had been done by machine. Only quilts that had been quilted by hand were *real* quilts, like his mama used to make. I'm sure you all can see where this is going. I told him his table wasn't a table because he'd used a table saw, a router, and a sander to make it. Why didn't he cut the wood by hand, sand it by hand, etc. That shut him up.
Good for you!