Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another "required" specialty ruler....? >

Another "required" specialty ruler....?

Another "required" specialty ruler....?

Old 07-31-2017, 04:55 PM

You could always just sketch the block out, then paper piece it. I've done this when I didn't like my rotary cutting results before.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:01 PM
Power Poster

is this the ruler? http://www.connectingthreads.com/cft...paign=PPCgpGen

it is more at this link https://www.createforless.com/Quilt-...pid278036.aspx
Old 07-31-2017, 05:59 PM

I looked at the pattern. Based on the dimensions of 12" x 30", I could see that each side block is a 3x3 square. That left a 6 inch square as the center. The lighter side pieces are 3"x6". I took the liberty of drawing the blocks in EQ. Hope these can add some clarity.
Attached Thumbnails fussy-cut-squared-3-inch-block.jpg   fussy-cut-squared-6-inch-block.jpg   fussy-cut-squared.jpg  
Old 08-01-2017, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Feathers-N-Fur View Post
You could always just sketch the block out, then paper piece it. I've done this when I didn't like my rotary cutting results before.
Yep this would work but as I said, there are no completed block measurements shown on the pattern....only measurements for the blocks that are then cut diagonally and added to the middle square to make the square in a square. I think its hopeless for me!
Old 08-01-2017, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
I looked at the pattern. Based on the dimensions of 12" x 30", I could see that each side block is a 3x3 square. That left a 6 inch square as the center. The lighter side pieces are 3"x6". I took the liberty of drawing the blocks in EQ. Hope these can add some clarity.
yep that's it! Great job. Now, what is the measurement of the first 4 patch block? That's seems to me to be crucial and I can't figure it out. After making 4 different size blocks yesterday I have a 3 1/2" block but do not have 1/4" seam allowances on all four sides, only on two of the sides. I just can't get my head around this one!! I love the pattern. The small blocks finish at 3" and the larger ones at 6". That's about all I can grasp. I am thinking that those dreaded 3/8" or 7/8" sizes are involved.
The instructions are to square up the four patch to the square on the ruler. And I cannot tell at all what the measurement should be. Then you piece the next pieces to that block and I think I am doing that correctly but then it doesn't measure 3 1/2" with a 1/4" seam allowance. arrrgggghh!!!
Barb, do you know the measurements for the finished 4 patch block and then the next size block? Thanks for even trying to do this. You are a real help. Thanks to all who are interested in this. I guess I should bite the bullet, swallow my pride, and order the ruler!!! Just not there yet! I feel like I'm being coerced. I will read the fine print before ordering next time!
Old 08-01-2017, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
No it isn't either of these. It is the Creative Grids Square in a Square 6" Trim Tool. NOT even a ruler per se. I think it would only be used for this particular block. The video says it can also be used for Snail's Trail (is that the name?) or another quilt they have designed that you can order a kit for. I am not interested in those.

Last edited by Helen6869; 08-01-2017 at 07:52 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 08-01-2017, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by fruitloop View Post
I don't think I would buy a ruler and then try to design a pattern to fit the ruler. I like specialty rulers. The cutting goes smoothly, all the pieces fit, and I'm enjoying my quilting time instead of trying to figure out if I lay my basic ruler this way and then flip it this way.........just not my thing. I don't think I've bought a ruler for one pattern that cost more then $20.
I agree. I bought the pattern which was designed using the ruler and no other way apparently. It is a darling pattern and I think others would like it but don't want to buy the tool either. The pattern was only 2.80 and free shipping....and as far as I can remember, never mentioned in the description that it required a specialty ruler. I wouldn't mind buying the ruler if it was actually a ruler, but it is a trim tool for this specific block. I just don't know what else you would use it for so it would lie in the drawer from then on, at least for me. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2017, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

I was looking through my rulers and found both sides of these, were still in the plastic. I remember winning them as a door prize! I am testing them out today and I like them. so far I made a lot of square in a square scrap blocks. Found the curvy log cabin ruler too!
Old 08-01-2017, 02:23 PM

I agree with ragamuffin. If I can make a sample block with the rulers I already own, I don't buy more. All the sample blocks go into a charity quilt later.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:33 PM

This is the cutting as suggested by EQ for the 3 inch and 6 inch blocks. When I am cutting the side triangles, I always oversize and then trim them back down. Hope this helps.