Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another "required" specialty ruler....? >

Another "required" specialty ruler....?

Another "required" specialty ruler....?

Old 08-03-2017, 06:14 AM

I always buy the specialty ruler. Saves time, frustration and wasted fabric. If I enjoiy the pattern, I will make it again. If I'm not in love with it, I sell the pattern and ruler on Ebay. If you don't want specialty rulers, don't buy the pattern. There are lots of patterns that use the rulers you already have on hand.

What is frustrating is buying a pattern that doesn't advertise that a specialty ruler is required. I really resist buying a pattern without a list of requirements without asking the quilt shop staff first.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Helen6869 View Post
I totally agree but since they only say "make this square as directed on the trim tool" there are no measurements given for the blocks. Only the finished size is given which I know is 3" or 6". With a square in a square block you must have the correct first block or it's all off! The problem being the first square has to be a certain size to make this work and that measurement is not given. I have made 4 squares using different size beginning squares and non have equaled 3" with a 1/4" seam allowance. I got a 1/4" on two sides but not the other two...??? I don't have any idea how to explain that. It has me baffled. I plan to use Barb's links and see if this works this afternoon. Also, the pattern is designed by Penny Haren for Cut Loose Press Patterns. It is called Fussy Cut Squared. Had never heard of them till I saw this one. Cute pattern, just bad directions so you will have to buy the tool!! as I've said, bummer to me!
Thats probably why it was such a bargain price-bad instructions! If that were me, I would contact the designer and ask for clarification....can't loose anything by asking the source.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

The problem for me is that I usually don't like making the same pattern more than once. An exception is maybe a Log Cabin or something like that.
But if you do then getting a special rule ends up being a good investment. Come to think of it I don't think I've ever bought one. But I have so many rulers and don't use most of them
Old 08-03-2017, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
This is the cutting as suggested by EQ for the 3 inch and 6 inch blocks. When I am cutting the side triangles, I always oversize and then trim them back down. Hope this helps.
Well thank you so much Barb in Louisiana!! I finally pieced a 3 1/2" block with the measurements you sent from QE7! Yay for us! And can you believe it does require those 16th and 8th measurents. One is even 11/16ths......goodness. I had to piece very accurately and sew very slowly....not my best skill....especially after my 3rd cup of coffee this am. But I got 'er done. Now I know what size to square the different blocks to as I go along and I can cut them larger and then square down. I do appreciate your interest and help using your software. I don't think I will ever do this again as I am scared now to even cut my beautiful fabric to these precise measurements. I will let you know when my courage rises up and I begin the project. Thanks for all who weighed in. Great suggestions and support from everyone who replied. Yall have a great day! Pouring rain here so back to sewing room after some lunch!