Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another "required" specialty ruler....? >

Another "required" specialty ruler....?

Another "required" specialty ruler....?

Old 08-02-2017, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
This is the cutting as suggested by EQ for the 3 inch and 6 inch blocks. When I am cutting the side triangles, I always oversize and then trim them back down. Hope this helps.
thanks for the cutting instructions
Old 08-02-2017, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
That's a large part of how Eleanor Burns makes her money. She has a required ruler for everything.

I bet if you study on it a bit, you'll figure out how to trim your squares using the rulers you already have.
Creative grids is the template mentioned...this is not a EB template.....and I could not find the pattern
"fussy cut squares" in any of EB pattern offerings, is this pattern from another designer? Whatever,I think a template or ruler that you have that can square up a block, or portion of one to the specific measurements in pattern would work. Jmho
Old 08-02-2017, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Creative grids is the template mentioned...this is not a EB template.....and I could not find the pattern
"fussy cut squares" in any of EB pattern offerings, is this pattern from another designer? Whatever,I think a template or ruler that you have that can square up a block, or portion of one to the specific measurements in pattern would work. Jmho
I totally agree but since they only say "make this square as directed on the trim tool" there are no measurements given for the blocks. Only the finished size is given which I know is 3" or 6". With a square in a square block you must have the correct first block or it's all off! The problem being the first square has to be a certain size to make this work and that measurement is not given. I have made 4 squares using different size beginning squares and non have equaled 3" with a 1/4" seam allowance. I got a 1/4" on two sides but not the other two...??? I don't have any idea how to explain that. It has me baffled. I plan to use Barb's links and see if this works this afternoon. Also, the pattern is designed by Penny Haren for Cut Loose Press Patterns. It is called Fussy Cut Squared. Had never heard of them till I saw this one. Cute pattern, just bad directions so you will have to buy the tool!! as I've said, bummer to me!

Last edited by Helen6869; 08-02-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
This is the cutting as suggested by EQ for the 3 inch and 6 inch blocks. When I am cutting the side triangles, I always oversize and then trim them back down. Hope this helps.
Barb, these are different measurements from the pattern sizes which will make the block over-sized. Perhaps, this will work to the correct size beginning 4 patch block. That's where the measurements are off from the pattern. I can't quite explain it all. Thank you for your time and help with this. I will let you all know when I get a block that will work. The one I made did not end with 1/4" seam allowances. That's why I thought you probably had to use some 1/8th or 1/16th sizes. The tool may be worth not having to figure all that out!! Thanks Barb! You're the best!
Old 08-02-2017, 02:32 PM

I'm presently doing a sq in a sq paper piecing.....pretty easy for me that way..
Old 08-02-2017, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Helen6869 View Post
I totally agree but since they only say "make this square as directed on the trim tool" there are no measurements given for the blocks. Only the finished size is given which I know is 3" or 6". With a square in a square block you must have the correct first block or it's all off! The problem being the first square has to be a certain size to make this work and that measurement is not given. I have made 4 squares using different size beginning squares and non have equaled 3" with a 1/4" seam allowance. I got a 1/4" on two sides but not the other two...??? I don't have any idea how to explain that. It has me baffled. I plan to use Barb's links and see if this works this afternoon. Also, the pattern is designed by Penny Haren for Cut Loose Press Patterns. It is called Fussy Cut Squared. Had never heard of them till I saw this one. Cute pattern, just bad directions so you will have to buy the tool!! as I've said, bummer to me!
They didn't give you the measurements because it's all on the ruler.
I know there are lots of rulers that are just a one time thing but a square
in square can be used in different blocks or on it's own to make a quilt or
a border.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by quiltybarb View Post
I'm presently doing a sq in a sq paper piecing.....pretty easy for me that way..

That would be perfect too but I don't have the pattern for it.
Old 08-02-2017, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
They didn't give you the measurements because it's all on the ruler.
I know there are lots of rulers that are just a one time thing but a square
in square can be used in different blocks or on it's own to make a quilt or
a border.
Yes I would agree with that but this is "tool" (not a ruler) has no measurements on it. I suppose you could measure them and use it for other squares but it is specific to this size square. And I'm not into one time use things. lol!
I think we have kind of lost the idea of this thread. My original question was to ask if anyone had used this Creative Grids 6" trim tool and only one person has even said she had it. Also I needed to vent about having to buy special tools to make things. This tool is specific to this size block and cannot be used to just make square in a square blocks of different sizes. My complaint is that I was not made aware that the pattern required this tool or I would not have bought the pattern. It is not really a ruler.....it is a trim tool and the sizes of the squares on it aren't shown. Of course, if I had the tool I could measure the little square and be sure mine was the proper size and for 18$ I could do that.. Just too tight I guess! haha!!
I am planning to try Barb's EQ7 measurements tomorrow and hopefully can figure it all out. I will let you know if it works. Thanks for all the helpful advice. I love chatting with your guys.....so many perspectives and useful information. Love it!
Old 08-02-2017, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

Seems to me using the ruler makes it easy and no time wasted guessing how to do it.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:57 AM

It helps me to justify buying a specialty ruler by making the quilt more than once. 2 quilts make it half price in my mind, 3 quilts make it one third the price, erc. 😀