Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another Wal-Mart Fabric department on it's way out! >

Another Wal-Mart Fabric department on it's way out!

Another Wal-Mart Fabric department on it's way out!

Old 08-14-2010, 09:19 AM

Get you a couple of empty carts and go Dumpster Diving! Go through and put the viewed bolts in the empty carts, and get the good stuff in the pile!
Old 08-14-2010, 09:57 AM

they are doing away with the yardage so they don't have to hire someone to measure and cut it. they are expanding their electronic derpartments. It's a matter of cutting work force and what makes money for them. They are doing this at their own risk. I seldom shop for anything there now except for nail polish, toothpaste and that sort of stuff. I have found other stores that meet my needs just as well.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:01 AM

I came from N.W. ARkansas and I met mr. Walton. he was a great guy. He would turn over in his grave if he knew what they have done to his stores. I had two boys who worked in the general offices in Bentonville. they said things changed greatly since Waltons don't own control.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:32 AM

That brings a question to my mind: Who owns Wal-Mart now?
Old 08-14-2010, 11:12 AM

I went to our WM today and asked the clerk if they are still getting fabric. She said, "everyday." I assume our WM will discontinue the fabric at some point. It is only a matter of time.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:34 AM
Power Poster

The Walton kids have the majority of stock but I think only one was/is on the board. There is one daughter and two sons and I think only one son has children. One son died.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

In Sam's Walton's bio, he said he regretted not paying his employees more. Well, he wasn't dead yet and he didn't do anything about paying them more. Maybe he had lost control of his company by then.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:45 PM

I'm not sure but many of the Walton family are dead. I think someone told me the guy that's ceo came from Target and has made a lot of changes that he knew from there.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:44 PM

I keep seeing comments on here that ALL Walmarts are going to stop carrying fabric. Does anyone know this "for sure"?

The reason I ask is that I ask the lady that's been in the fabric dept. at my WM for years, and she said that they fought hard about 2 years ago to keep from losing our fabric dept. Our store was one of the top sellers of fabric, she said, and that helped a lot.

She also said that was when a lot of the stores done a "reset" and that just today, they had a meeting about the stores that didn't do one then would be doing one now. She said this started a lot of speculation in the store again,same as last time that the fabric dept. would be gone.But, that she didn't think that it would, that it was too big a seller in our store.

I love this lady. I talk to her forever every time I go in there. She always tells me stories, about her making her kids clothes growing up because she had to. She knows a lot about sewing/fabric, etc.

I don't know, though. With all the posts I see on here, that really coiincides with what she said, doesn't it?

Maybe this "reset" thing is why all these stores are losing their fabric depts?

I did get some of the A.E. Nathan "monthly" fabrics for $1 and $2 a yard! I also picked up some fabric that I seen for sale on here for $8 a yard for $2 !!! Niiiiice!

I think my WM is an anamoly, LOL! Really, they always have a lot of decent fabrics. Of course, they do have a lot of crappy stuff, but they have enough decent stuff to make many quilts.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:27 PM

I was at my walmart yesterday. They also aid they are doing away with our fabric department within the year. The clerk said they do amazing business there and she can't figure it out !