Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Answer to the Walmart "quality of fabric" email >

Answer to the Walmart "quality of fabric" email

Answer to the Walmart "quality of fabric" email

Old 10-22-2010, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Originally Posted by stefanib123
Originally Posted by PatriceJ
5. as long as those who insist on paying only the highest prices for fabrics continue to shop thusly, i do not have to compete with them for the same caliber fabrics available at lower prices. i hope they cling desperately to their delusions for years to come so that i may reap the benefits in peace and prosperity.
Patrice, you are always a sane voice of reason! The fabric "snobs" remind me of those girls in high school who thought their made in China purse was better than someone else's made in China purse!
It's not nice to call people names because they choose something different than you do.
You mean when "they" chose to put down someone for being a thrifty shopper. That's the only time I call anyone snob, LOL!

I never said anything about anyone doing things different, only about when they choose to put someone else down for doing things different, actually. I said something about WHEN "they" put others down, not for what they actually do. Big difference. You need to re-read what I wrote.

So, you are right, its not nice to put someone down for doing things different ......
Old 10-22-2010, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
5. as long as those who insist on paying only the highest prices for fabrics continue to shop thusly, i do not have to compete with them for the same caliber fabrics available at lower prices. i hope they cling desperately to their delusions for years to come so that i may reap the benefits in peace and prosperity.
See, I never called anyone a snob for ony buying quilt store fabrics, just if they ACTED like they were better or that their fabric was better than others.

That is the definition of a snob, isn't it?

Patrice, you are always a sane voice of reason! The fabric "snobs" remind me of those girls in high school who thought their made in China purse was better than someone else's made in China purse!
It's not nice to call people names because they choose something different than you do.
You mean when "they" chose to put down someone for being a thrifty shopper. That's the only time I call anyone snob, LOL!
I have *never* seen anyone put down for being a thrifty shopper. I have seen plenty of people calling people snobs because they only buy quilt store fabrics.

I never called anyone anything for ONLY shopping at quilt stores, actually no one said anything about that.

I only said that people who ACT like their stuff is better than someone else's is a snob. And they are, no one can argue that.

They aren't a snob for only buyingquilt shop fabric, not at all.and I never said that.

I said when they ACT Like they are better....
Old 10-22-2010, 05:15 PM

Not all of us are blessed to have ANY LQS or even Joann's close by. For me it is WalMart or drive at least a half hour or more for any kind of fabric be it good quality or not.

And I've discovered that most stores have a range of quality and a range of price points. Not all of the lower priced fabric is lesser quality and not all of the higher priced fabric is superior quality.

And besides, some fabric is just pretty...even if it won't pass the 'superiority' test!
Old 10-22-2010, 05:19 PM

And where do you put Tula Pink in all this? :shock:
http://tulapink.com/2010/09/19/outraged/
Old 10-22-2010, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by stitchinbee
this post has made me realize that people are the same no matter where you go. i realize that i am not comfortable with the "battling" scenes. i understood that there were no actual quilt police, but i seconde guess that now. thank you all for letting me participate in this board for the little time that i did. bye.
I don't see where anyone posted anything that should offend you. If they choose to spend their $$ at Walmart and you like to support your local shop, that's everyone's choice. I don't understand why you're offended. No one here is battling with you.

And btw this is why so many local shops are going out of business. I don't blame anyone who shops walmart or joanns but somehow the distributors and/or manufacturers need to give the smaller shops a better deal so they can actually compete.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
And where do you put Tula Pink in all this? :shock:
http://tulapink.com/2010/09/19/outraged/
I think she needs to take it up with the company who manufactured it.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:32 PM

I have to admit, I'm a recovering fabric snob. I'm calling myself that, but I wouldn't call anyone else one. It can be taken negatively. My recovery program isn't easy, but I still won't buy garbage. But, I would buy the AE and David Textiles from WM if I had a WM in my area with a fabric dept. Good quality is always subjective and I would really like to read a written statement from several fabric manufacturers about the gossip and rumors that float about regarding the different "grades" of fabric.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:39 PM

I'm a fabric snob too but I'm a snob about a lot of other things too, like my shoes for example. I have both quilt shop fabric and inexpensive joann's type fabric in my stash and when I'm sewing it, I can tell the difference. This is probably not the brand name stuff from Joann's though-just the Joann's house brand. I've only bought fabric from Walmart a couple of times and not any quilt fabric. Our Walmart doesn't have fabric any more.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:40 PM

I buy 98% of my fabric at LQS-the rest from a combo of online, Joann's and I have bought fabric from Walmart. My question is...what makes you think that because you write a letter and *ask*, that you are going to be told the truth? If in fact Walmart does get a lesser quality from the same maker do you really think that it's going to be admitted to? Can you imagine the backlash that everyone involved with that would get? Of course the company is going to say it is nonsense...what else are they going to say; "yes, we send the crappy stuff to Walmart"?
Old 10-22-2010, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
I have to admit, I'm a recovering fabric snob. I'm calling myself that, but I wouldn't call anyone else one. It can be taken negatively. My recovery program isn't easy, but I still won't buy garbage. But, I would buy the AE and David Textiles from WM if I had a WM in my area with a fabric dept. Good quality is always subjective and I would really like to read a written statement from several fabric manufacturers about the gossip and rumors that float about regarding the different "grades" of fabric.
If you give me your email address, I can send you the one that A. E. Nathan sent me, I posted it here, the OP, but I can forward it to you also.

I also sent some emails to other brands, but they haven't replied back, I guess they arent going to by now.

I really appreciate your honesty. You are just so nice, though, I can't see you ever being a "snob"!