Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Answer to the Walmart "quality of fabric" email >

Answer to the Walmart "quality of fabric" email

Answer to the Walmart "quality of fabric" email

Old 10-22-2010, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by brenda21
I buy 98% of my fabric at LQS-the rest from a combo of online, Joann's and I have bought fabric from Walmart. My question is...what makes you think that because you write a letter and *ask*, that you are going to be told the truth? If in fact Walmart does get a lesser quality from the same maker do you really think that it's going to be admitted to? Can you imagine the backlash that everyone involved with that would get? Of course the company is going to say it is nonsense...what else are they going to say; "yes, we send the crappy stuff to Walmart"?
This is a good point also. I just figured I'd ask them and see what they said.

I've only heard "rumors" to the contary, no "experts" or anything. So, I guess if I'm going to believe someone the fabric company is more "in the know" that anyone else I've asked at this point.

I'd love to be able to ask some other "professional" type people, though. Any suggestions?
Power Poster

I thought the original question was:

Do fabric manufacturers sell more than one "grade/run/quality" of fabric under any one brand name?

Not how much one pays for a yard of print xyz manufactured by Company A or where one purchased it.

Originally Posted by mom-6
Not all of us are blessed to have ANY LQS or even Joann's close by. For me it is WalMart or drive at least a half hour or more for any kind of fabric be it good quality or not.

And I've discovered that most stores have a range of quality and a range of price points. Not all of the lower priced fabric is lesser quality and not all of the higher priced fabric is superior quality.

And besides, some fabric is just pretty...even if it won't pass the 'superiority' test!
This.

I'm loathe to spend 10 dollars a yard for fabric. I don't have that kind of cash. Though I have recently spent that for a girly panel for my daughter. It is thinner fabric then the Cranston wolf print I bought at Walmart for under 5 bucks a yard and it's thinner fabric then what I bought at Connecting threads on their frost line.

On the other hand I've seen some wonderful fabric out of a lqs scrap bags. I loved to buy those bags. 5 bucks for a pound of fabric and you had some wonderful pieces in there.

The backing I bought for a baby quilt I'm doing out of scraps from my sons quilt. I kinda think I overpaid at 30 bucks. The soft flannel isn't any better then what I would have gotten at Joanns or hancocks clearance aisle.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray

Do fabric manufacturers sell more than one "grade/run/quality" of fabric under any one brand name?

Not how much one pays for a yard of print xyz manufactured by Company A or where one purchased it.
You are right. My apologies.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:51 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by moonwolf23

You were typing and had pressed "send" before you read my stuff. That happens often when two people are typing away at the same time.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by moonwolf23

You were typing and had pressed "send" before you read my stuff. That happens often when two people are typing away at the same time.
guilty:)
Old 10-22-2010, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Originally Posted by hereca622

However, we did have a speaker at our guild meeting years ago that told us about fabric runs. She said that runs are made on lower quality fabric to test the pattern. If you have ever seen a flat fold fabric with the design printed a little off, it is probably one.
I had heard that too. That a test run is done first, and that these fabrics are then sold. I also read somewhere that there are three grades to the fabric, and most quilting stores pick up the top grade (best quality), while companies like Walmart pick up the lower end (test run) cheaply.
I read that same thing in a quilt magazine awhile back, I can't remember which one it was though.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:46 PM

I've always found that you can find a wide variety of qualities in any location - LQS, Walmart, Joann's, or online. Price doesn't always matter, especially when shopping sales. I use a wide variety of qualities depending on the purpose of what I'm making and how much effort it takes to create.

Just FYI - I once purchased a fabric at Hobby Lobby that I later found at a LQS for a much higher price. The fabrics seemed to be very different quality. I can't explain why. They were the exact same print in the same color. I do know that they could have been mistaken for being the same, for different prices, when they actually seemed to vary in quality.

I have always felt that when I spend $11/yard at a LQS, I'm not only paying for the fabric; I'm also paying to keep a service going. I value my LQS very highly. I not only regularly pick their brains for information, I also love to spend hours taking their classes and just browsing their aisles. I consider the higher price an investment in a resource that I know struggles to survive.

I know that not everyone can or will spend that much at a LQS, but I like to whenever possible, and I must admit that I, too, have felt that some members of the board sometimes make comments that seem disparaging about those people who choose to spend their money on more expensive fabric. It seems like some people think that those of us who spend more are less than intelligent for doing so, as if we're being taken for a ride. I feel, however, that a person's disposable income should be hers or his to do with as he or she chooses. As long as my family isn't going hungry and the bills are paid, I should be able to spend $11/yard without being looked down upon if that makes me happy, and it does. It's just like someone spending $12000 on a sewing machine instead of $400 for a machine that works perfectly well.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:44 PM

You're so right Mattee! It's nice to be able to spend our money (or go into dept:>) as we see fit. I looooooove expensive, nice fabric. I just wish there were concrete evidence as to X manufacturer sends X quality fabric here or there. And yes, I do believe what the one poster said is true...would they really admit in writing that they send less quality goods to a certain store? It's all very confusing. But, you just need to meddle through, buy what you like and what you believe to be worth your money. And then go on your merry way, because this is JUST a hobby and people are dead and starving across the globe with warfare, pollution and catastrophe. What kind of fabric we buy is pretty low on the global totem pole.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
i always find this subject frustrating (sometimes infuriating) and hysterically funny at the same time.

1. if i pay $3 per yard and the fabric is worth at least $3 per yard, then i got value for my money.

2. if a fabric manufacturer is stupid enough to ship two or more different grades of the same print under the same name we will know it. we will be insulted by their assumption that we are suckers and chumps. we will not buy their products at any price from any source.

3. if they sell those different grades for a fair price under a different name, why should i care? the only thing that matters is whether or not the fabric is worth at least the price charged.

4. there are good and lousy fabrics to be found at every pricepoint along the spectrum. therefore i do not need to obsess over the source. i only have to make sure that i buy fabric i like for a fair price.

5. as long as those who insist on paying only the highest prices for fabrics continue to shop thusly, i do not have to compete with them for the same caliber fabrics available at lower prices. i hope they cling desperately to their delusions for years to come so that i may reap the benefits in peace and prosperity.

now i think i'll go roll around on my mountain of lovely fabric purchased at great prices ... and feel quite smug in the process. :-)
touche :D