Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Answer to the Walmart "quality of fabric" email >

Answer to the Walmart "quality of fabric" email

Answer to the Walmart "quality of fabric" email

Old 10-23-2010, 08:19 AM

I wish I could say that walmart fabrics were still available where I am. But they're not. NOT ONE SINGLE WALMART STORE IN MY AREA CARRIES FABRICS ANY LONGER.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
fact: each person has her own reason(s) for buying what and where she does.

fact: unless she's asking somebody else to pay for it, she does not need to justify anything or accept any sort of personal label.

question: why assume that a person is a snob just because she insists on shopping only in high end shops? she may have a long list of reasons that have nothing to do with that. for example, she may "shop with her heart" and be motivated by a desire to support only small businesses. for example, she may need and/or appreciate the personal attention and value help selecting fabrics that will work best together. for example, she may have signed up for classes and feel it would be rude to buy her fabrics for those classes someplace else. for example, she may feel confident about her purchases only when she's been able to see and touch them in person beforehand. the list goes on and on. not everyone who shops only in the LQS does so because they are unwilling to believe that good fabric can be found elsewhere.

question: why assume that a person is anti-LQS just because they normally or always shop elsewhere? that list is pretty long as well.

do not prejudge. do not assume.

there is no need to be anti-anything. just be pro-whatever-your-preference-is an worry not about anybody else's preference. be happy for yourself. be happy for them.

look in a person's heart for who they are. you won't find that out by looking in her stash or at the price tags. ;-)

Then you Patrice should learn not to make comments like this:

"5. as long as those who insist on paying only the highest prices for fabrics continue to shop thusly, i do not have to compete with them for the same caliber fabrics available at lower prices. i hope they cling desperately to their delusions for years to come so that i may reap the benefits in peace and prosperity.

now i think i'll go roll around on my mountain of lovely fabric purchased at great prices ... and feel quite smug in the process. "

It is comments like this that lead people in the direction that this thread went. This type of "smugness" can be very hurtful to others.
As a moderator you may want to learn to stick to the original question.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:52 AM

IMO the implication is WM and JA have inferior products and those of us that shop there cannot tell the difference. Ah NO. I can tell good quality from bad regardless of where i shop. LQS doesn't insure quality any more than box store is crap.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by bakermom
IMO the implication is WM and JA have inferior products and those of us that shop there cannot tell the difference. Ah NO. I can tell good quality from bad regardless of where i shop. LQS doesn't insure quality any more than box store is crap.
I have never seen anyone say anything of the sort on this board. Did I just miss it? Can you point me to a topic where this sort of thing was said?
Old 10-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I'm sorry but I simply will not sit back and watch while people call other people snobs. It's unacceptable to call people names. It's offensive and hurts people's feelings.
i believe several of us have made it clear that we agree with you. we must hope and trust that everyone on both sides of that pointless argument realize that it isn't necessary, nice, or at all helpful to assume things about people we don't know, point fingers and slap nasty labels on each other.

let's try to let that tangent whither away and get back to the original and very interesting subject of this thread.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

"5. as long as those who insist on paying only the highest prices for fabrics continue to shop thusly, i do not have to compete with them for the same caliber fabrics available at lower prices. i hope they cling desperately to their delusions for years to come so that i may reap the benefits in peace and prosperity.

now i think i'll go roll around on my mountain of lovely fabric purchased at great prices ... and feel quite smug in the process. "

It is comments like this that lead people in the direction that this thread went. This type of "smugness" can be very hurtful to others.
i'm sorry, but you erroneously added meaning into my post that simply was not there. it was not a blanket accusation. i also didn't call anybody names.

i happen to shop in all sorts of venues ... including the LQS. i have some fabs in my stash that cost more per yard than i ever dreamed i'd spend.

my point, made primarily to inject humor into a testy conversation, was that those who refuse to shop for the low-priced fabs leave more for me when i'm hunting a rock bottom bargain.

you have my permission to think of me as greedy. you may, if you wish, remain convinced that i didn't choose words you like. but i am not anti-LQS and i am not anti-LQS-devotee'.

i am anti-get-my-knickers-in-a-twist-about-something-that-shouldn't-matter-in-the-first-place.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

i'm sorry, but you erroneously added meaning into my post that simply was not there. it was not a blanket accusation. i also didn't call anybody names.

i happen to shop in all sorts of venues ... including the LQS. i have some fabs in my stash that cost more per yard than i ever dreamed i'd spend.

my point, made primarily to inject humor into a testy conversation, was that those who refuse to shop for the low-priced fabs leave more for me when i'm hunting a rock bottom bargain.

you have my permission to think of me as greedy. you may, if you wish, remain convinced that i didn't choose words you like. but i am not anti-LQS and i am not anti-LQS-devotee'.

i am anti-get-my-knickers-in-a-twist-about-something-that-shouldn't-matter-in-the-first-place.
Patrice,
I'm sorry but words like 'I hope they cling desperately to their delusions' cannot be taken any way but as derogatory. I am sure I am not the only one who thinks so.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by IrishNY
Patrice,
I'm sorry but words like 'I hope they cling desperately to their delusions' cannot be taken any way but as derogatory. I am sure I am not the only one who thinks so.
i was in a communications class the other day. the instructor was offering examples of behavior that are not well received in most circles. i happen to be aware that i am guilty of some of those behaviors. naturally, i felt very uncomfortable and wondered whether or not she actually referred to me without using my name.

did she mean me? she's a very nice person, so probably not. i will never know. nevertheless, i had a guilty conscience.

i added meaning to her instruction that was neither stated nor implied. it would be unfair of me to get angry at her about it.

we often feel accused or take feelings away from something we've read or heard that wasn't meant in any way, shape, or form.

my conscience about this is clear. however, if you need to continue holding it against me i will not question your prerogative to so do.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by IrishNY
Patrice,
i was in a communications class the other day. the instructor was offering examples of behavior that are not well received in most circles. i happen to be aware that i am guilty of some of those behaviors. naturally, i felt very uncomfortable and wondered whether or not she actually referred to me without using my name.

did she mean me? she's a very nice person, so probably not. i will never know. nevertheless, i had a guilty conscience.

i added meaning to her instruction that was neither stated nor implied. it would be unfair of me to get angry at her about it.

we often feel accused or take feelings away from something we've read or heard that wasn't meant in any way, shape, or form.

my conscience about this is clear. however, if you need to continue holding it against me i will not question your prerogative to so do.
I think it is time to take this issue out of this thread. Patrice, you stated to drop this tangent and move back to the original post. It seems that you are having a difficult time doing so. I do hope that the "Admin" reads this thread and comes to an understanding that she has a problem with one of her moderators.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:51 AM
Power Poster

Maybe fabric manufacturers do have different "lines" like car manufacturers do (or did, anyway)?

That said, it was my understanding that Model XYZ would be the same no matter where I purchased it.

It would seem logical to me that fabric lines would operate in a similar way.