Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Answer to the Walmart "quality of fabric" email >

Answer to the Walmart "quality of fabric" email

Answer to the Walmart "quality of fabric" email

Old 10-23-2010, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Patrice, you stated to drop this tangent and move back to the original post. It seems that you are having a difficult time doing so.
never let it be said that i can't own my own contribution to a problem. i sincerely appreciate that very sane and irrefutable statement.

when i let myself get sucked into a stupid argument i'm always torn between two conflicting realities.

on the one hand, i have the ability to delete everything.

on the other, if i do delete everything others might reasonably think i did that only to cover up my own stupidity.

i've been struggling with that in this case and hoping it would all just go away so i didn't have to start deleting.

after all, if i'm incorrect in my heartfelt belief that i'm being wrongfully accused, is it fair to hide the efforts of others to chastize me? mine are not the only feelings that matter.

the one thing i do know for sure is that you are correct to be disappointed in me. i'm quite disappointed myself.

i allowed myself to get sucked into a stupid argument. i should know better.

i have actively participated in hijacking an otherwise interesting and worthwhile thread. that is never a good thing for anyone to do.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Patrice, you stated to drop this tangent and move back to the original post. It seems that you are having a difficult time doing so.

the one thing i do know for sure is that you are correct to be disappointed in me. i'm quite disappointed myself.

i allowed myself to get sucked into a stupid argument. i should know better.

i have actively participated in hijacking an otherwise interesting and worthwhile thread. that is never a good thing for anyone to do.
Patrice,
A simple: I am sorry -is all that is needed.
With no more posts on this thread, this needs to end.

And with that I'm off to admire other folks quilts and to do some quilting myself today.
Peace!
Old 10-23-2010, 12:10 PM

So,
back to the post:
Originally Posted by stefanib123
I got an answer back from A.E. Nathan as to whether Walmart gets a crappier quality of fabric than the quilt stores. I've heard it on here and at other places that even if the fabric looks the same, its actually a lesser quality.

This never sounded right to me, but I don't know much about stuff like this, so I emailed a couple of different fabric companies, and simply asked them. Here's their reply:

Good Morning Stephanie,
This is total nonsense. We don’t have the time or the energy to make different fabrics for the shops and walmart. So in short, the answer is NO. Everyone gets the same version.
Thanks.
Scott

I am still waiting to hear from the other companies.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:52 PM

OK????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone hear from the other manufacturers?
Old 10-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

Robert Kaufman wrote this about Kona cottons:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/user_po...m=12167&page=1
Old 10-23-2010, 06:56 PM

http://www.quiltpox.com/Discussions/fabric_quality.html
Don't be turned off by the title of this page-it's worth the read!

I have found this web site and it really does answer all of our questions about our beloved fabrics! It seems to unite both sides beautifully! It confirms statements about pro and cons of the LQS AND the retail-it is a must read. We shall all sleep soundly tonight and continue happily with the methods of choosing our fabrics, which is as different as there are people on this board.

With the last paragraph quote:
"In Summary:
I hope that these guidelines will help you when choosing fabric, whether it be at the LQS or retail. When you are a new quilter, you are not going to have the experience of knowing good fabric. But, start paying attention. If you can only buy a fat-quarter at the LQS, do it. As time goes by, you will begin to have an idea of good fabric. And, just because Ms Designer Fabric 1 has designed the fabric, and you see her name and face all over the media, do not assume it to be a good fabric. Several of the big designer have started designing for the more retail mills for a reason. They can reach more people, and make more profit. Think about it."
Old 10-23-2010, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by plainjane

I have found this web site and it really does answer all of our questions about our beloved fabrics! It seems to unite both sides beautifully! It confirms statements about pro and cons of the LQS AND the retail-it is a must read. We shall all sleep soundly tonight and continue happily with the methods of choosing our fabrics, which is as different as there are people on this board.

"In Summary:
I hope that these guidelines will help you when choosing fabric, whether it be at the LQS or retail. When you are a new quilter, you are not going to have the experience of knowing good fabric. But, start paying attention. If you can only buy a fat-quarter at the LQS, do it. As time goes by, you will begin to have an idea of good fabric. And, just because Ms Designer Fabric 1 has designed the fabric, and you see her name and face all over the media, do not assume it to be a good fabric. Several of the big designer have started designing for the more retail mills for a reason. They can reach more people, and make more profit. Think about it."
That's a great article. I'm curious which fabric company she mentions. I know of at least 2 that are initials.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:45 PM

High end fabric companies do not sell to
Walmart. They are paying designers to create lines of fabric that coordinate. You won't be able to find an entire line of anything at WM.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:44 PM

http://www.fabrics.net/cotqual.asp

http://www.keepsakequilting.com/articles/quality2.aspx
Old 10-23-2010, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by gale
Originally Posted by plainjane

"In Summary:
That's a great article. I'm curious which fabric company she mentions. I know of at least 2 that are initials.
vip rjr p&b all I can think of