Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Antique HST from auction >

Antique HST from auction

Antique HST from auction

Old 11-25-2013, 01:35 AM
QM
Power Poster

It looks great. I have been given 2 very old handmade tops. With the first one, I consulted a quilt appraiser. She told me that good quilting, either hand or machine would not lower the value. She also said it did not matter which kind of quilting, so long as it was well done. In both cases, skilled LAers in my guild completed the quilts which were then raffled or auctioned for local charities. In the last 10 years, the guild has completed about 5 quilts this way. Doing this could further your church or prayer quilt actions, for example, funding additional fabrics.

Last edited by QM; 11-25-2013 at 01:38 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:11 AM
Power Poster

i would finish it!!!its beautiful!
Old 11-25-2013, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
Definitely don't cut it! What is a prayer quilt?
We make quilts for cancer patients. Instead of quilting them, they are held together with perle cotton ties. On Sundays the people come to the quilt table and tie a knot in the ties and say a prayer for the patient. Then the quilt is given to the patients. Those who are having chemo usually take them to their treatments.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by QM View Post
It looks great. I have been given 2 very old handmade tops. With the first one, I consulted a quilt appraiser. She told me that good quilting, either hand or machine would not lower the value. She also said it did not matter which kind of quilting, so long as it was well done. In both cases, skilled LAers in my guild completed the quilts which were then raffled or auctioned for local charities. In the last 10 years, the guild has completed about 5 quilts this way. Doing this could further your church or prayer quilt actions, for example, funding additional fabrics.
Thanks for this info. We did have a LA quilter who offered to quilt it as a donation to our ministry but we didn't know if that would change the value so this is great info.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:41 AM

Definitely don't cut it. Can you have it appraised?
Old 11-25-2013, 05:37 AM

I agree with everyone else, this quilt should be finished and then sold to someone who will love and appreciate it. Please do not cut it.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cybrarian View Post
You should be able to locate a quilt appraiser in Kentucky. How far are you from Paducah? Your local LQS should also be able to help. Since you do charity work perhaps they would donate their services to your group. If it is an antique I would think your group would be better served to sell it and use the proceeds to get the right type of materials and supplies you need. It would be terrible to cut it, and it would completely devalue it. It is certainly beautiful.

I agree with Cybrarian to see if you can find someone to give you the value of the quilt top. Unfortunately, in this economy it is hard to get the true value of a quilt top or a quilt. I would NEVER cut it up. Good Luck and keep use posted ....
Old 11-25-2013, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by nanjam62 View Post
Someone donated this quilt top to our prayer quilt group. It is all hand sewn and is 67 X 78. Most who have seen it say it is '30s fabrics but I have no idea. It is too large for our use & we hate to cut it & make 2 but we don't know what to do with it. A couple of people have asked what we would sell it for but we have no idea what it is worth...any suggestions? I'm posting 2 pics so you can see the entire quilt & see a closer view of the fabrics.[ATTACH=CONFIG]448570[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]448571[/ATTACH]
Is a raffle out of the question for your group? What about a simple auction of just the top? You could announce mail in bid over a month or so.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by nanjam62 View Post
We make quilts for cancer patients. Instead of quilting them, they are held together with perle cotton ties. On Sundays the people come to the quilt table and tie a knot in the ties and say a prayer for the patient. Then the quilt is given to the patients. Those who are having chemo usually take them to their treatments.
What a wonderful way to involve all your church members. Got to remember that.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:41 AM
Jim

Nanjam62, I too am from Ky, used to be in Louisville but now in Bardstown. The quilt isn't that big that I would ever cut it. It's really quite a nice quilt. I don't think that all of the fabric is from the thirties but some possibly may be or a least be 30's reproductions. I think it would be more valuable if long armed because it would last longer being held together stronger. I love tied quilts as much as every one else but honestly quilts that we sewn are more durable. I have a few tied quilts that are old and well used that the ties start to rot or tiny holes form where they are tied. I have a family member that is over making tied prayer quilts for the sick through her church in Louisville.