Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Antique HST from auction >

Antique HST from auction

Antique HST from auction

Old 11-25-2013, 06:43 AM

I'm with the others. Don't cut it. Raffle, sell or auction it off whole instead. It would be a terrible waste to cut it up.
Thank you and your church for the help you're giving to cancer patients. I am currently fighting stage 4 melanoma and can tell you from personal experience you are making a huge difference for the people you're helping. While I was in the hospital last December I received a gift bag from Pacific NorthWest Needle Arts Guild. It meant a lot to me that people I didn't even know cared enough to give their time to make gifts like that. I wear the hat that was in the bag pretty much every day.
Rodney
Old 11-25-2013, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by nanjam62 View Post
We make quilts for cancer patients. Instead of quilting them, they are held together with perle cotton ties. On Sundays the people come to the quilt table and tie a knot in the ties and say a prayer for the patient. Then the quilt is given to the patients. Those who are having chemo usually take them to their treatments.
I love this idea!
Old 11-25-2013, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

You can check out the price of vintage tops sold on eBay to get an idea of their value. If you have the ability to quilt the top nicely for a low cost, you could probably get more, especially in a charity auction, than if you sell it as a top.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:20 AM

I agree. Finish and raffle it off. Quilt tops like this at Shipshewana auction wouldn't bring more than $50 or $60. Raffled could bring upwards of $1000. Our extension club makes a queen size quilt that we have machine quilted. We sell 1200 or so tickets and even with selling a good many tickets at 6 for $5, we still profit with enough to do many charitable projects in our county each year.
Originally Posted by susiequilt View Post
Finish and raffle it off.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:32 AM

67X78 is NOT a big quilt. It's not even queen size. It may seem big to you because the pieces are so small and there are so many of them. Lay it on your bed and see how it fits. I would finish it off and then do whatever you like of what others have suggested.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:44 AM

Please, please, please don't cut it up! If it's too big for your use, either finish it off - not tied, because with all hand sewing, it wil be too fragile -by hand or machine quilting. If you are not inclined to do that, sell the top somewhere and use the profits to buy fabric for your actual prayer quilts. When you think of the work it took for someone to hand pice all those little bits, I think it would be a crime to chop it up, and the folks who got the prayer quilts would have no idea of its beauty. Our church did the same sort of thing, (prayer quilts) only using two layers of fleece, with the prayers being said as knots were tied around the edges. As much a I like a quilt, those things were COZY!
Old 11-26-2013, 06:44 AM

Thanks to all for your comments. Maybe I should have explained what we were thinking of doing If we cut the center part of the quilt (like on point) to the edges and then take all four corner triangles and sew them together in the same way this one is, we would have two quilt that are about the size that we make for our prayer quilts. Then we would have 2 hand pieced throws with the same pattern. We have to make them small enough that they can carry them to chemo. Would have to check to see if our church would allow a raffle but I like that idea...or maybe a silent auction.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:44 AM

I wouldn't dare cut it; it is too well done and it is beautiful.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Nanjam62, I too am from Ky, used to be in Louisville but now in Bardstown. The quilt isn't that big that I would ever cut it. It's really quite a nice quilt. I don't think that all of the fabric is from the thirties but some possibly may be or a least be 30's reproductions. I think it would be more valuable if long armed because it would last longer being held together stronger. I love tied quilts as much as every one else but honestly quilts that we sewn are more durable. I have a few tied quilts that are old and well used that the ties start to rot or tiny holes form where they are tied. I have a family member that is over making tied prayer quilts for the sick through her church in Louisville.
We are outside of Louisville, Crestwood Baptist Church...would she be in our group?
Old 11-26-2013, 08:47 AM

You will get very little if you auction it. My suggestion would be to raffle it. If your church doesn't allow raffles then maybe you could get another charity to conduct the raffle and divide the profits. I know that most Baptist churches would frown on a raffle - I know cause I R One. Not me personally.