Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Asian fabrics in your stash?

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    And are they just staying there, or have you been using your Asian fabrics?

What have you made with them ... or are planning to?

I have lots of them! They are my current favorite fabric. Those and batiks. I have used several in different quilts. Have not really used an Asian design for any of them. They are such lovely fabrics.
    In fact I bought several of them from your shop!!!!!

I am currently making an applique quilt with mine. I am appliquing 5" circles on 6" background squares. Each circle is a different asian print or a different scene from the same print with multiple scenes. All by hand with prepared circles with seam allowance turned under. It is my to go project so I work on it very sporadically. Don't even know how many I need to get up to size so am always on the hunt for more Asians. I think they are beautiful.

Blog Entries
    I have a fair amount. I love them and drool over them in fabric shops. I haven't done anything with them yet. But I will...someday!

I do use a great deal of what sometimes falls into category of Asian, because so many have metallic. There a some that will remain in my "museum" because they is not yet a project worthy of these fabulous fabrics. I have been getting a bit more bold about using "museum" pieces as there have more available lately. I make quilted clothing with them and home dec . items. There seems to be more of the larger panels .. and I am not inclined to purchase panels.

I have what my son picked out for a quilt, I hate to cut into it lol. I love them

I love them. I have the pattern for a bow tuck bag all picked out and recently did a wall hanging with some of them but I want a quilt pattern to use the rest, thinking a fan quilt so I can get them all in there. The asian prints are stunning, I just love them.

Blog Entries
    don't have any

Not a single piece. I saw a jacket at a quilt show using Asian fabrics and it was fabulous. Maybe someday.

Jean

Blog Entries
    I work with Asian fabrics quite often. This is my most recent one for my #2 son,
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-99753-1.htm

Yes I have Asian fabrics and I use them. This winter I made a quilt top using Asian fabrics. I hand pieced 48 kimono blocks which are made into a top and will soon be quilted.

I'm collecting them for a chinese lantern quilt. I love them but they don't mix that well with other fabrics imho

I participated in the oriental fabric block swaps and in addition to the extra of the fabrics I used there are some that I got but have not used yet. After I get the blocks from the swap sashed with black and put together, I'll figure out what else I want to make with these luscious pieces.

And I agree that they demand to be 'stars' of whatever they are used for.

The quilt picture link above by hobo2000 was a lovely way to showcase the beautiful fabrics used.

You betcha' My beautiful daughter-in-law is Chinese and she and my son have a 12 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. I'm AfroAmerican and the two families are very close. Her mother and I have become "good buddies" and we spend a lot of time teaching each other about our cultures. You shoud see our dining tables at family dinners, enough to feed the neighborhood (and we often do) LOL.
    She made her first half-square triangle quilt a while back, and I'm learning origami.
    Asian fabrics mixed with Africentric pieces adorn her beds and walls.

Blog Entries
    Any Asian fabrics in your stash?
    No, but I have an Asian husband stashed on the couch. Does that count?

Blog Entries
    I have a good many Asian fabrics.The problem is, what pattern to show them off? I'm thinking a simple pattern would be best to let them shine.

I only have a small stack of pre-cut 10" squares that I got in a bag at goodwill. I just havent gotten into Asian fabs yet.

Blog Entries
    Have several Asian type fabrics, just have not found the pattern that justifies cuttin them.

I have a few Asians. Generally speaking, I love them. I'm a sucker for gold highlights and Asians usually give those to me.

I have a problem with Asians though. Ever notice how much thicker they are than most other fabrics? It's especially noticeable when compared to a batik.

The problem is getting a uniform 1/4" seam when you mix different fabrics. I have to remember to change my needle position when sewing batik to batik, batik to regular cotton, batik to Asian, cotton to cotton, cotton to asian, and asian to asian!!

This may not seem like a big deal to most, but my favorite quilts are made from little pieces (1" square) ... NOW it makes a difference!! You can't just throw an Asian in with batiks in a bargello with 1/4" finished strips and expect the seams to match. Ask me how I know :)

So I tend to use all batik or all cotton. Asians don't lend themselves too well to 1" pieces either (why bother?).

Have some, made a lap quilt, and plan to make a bow tucks eventually

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    I have two, they match each other. One is so beautiful I am afraid to cut it. I have found some possible patterns that I could do. Just need one or two more coordinating colors. (But I am really afraid to cut it.) I bought three yards, should have bought the rest on the bolt, I love it so much. Too late now, I bought it years ago so my three yards will really need to do their work!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
    Any Asian fabrics in your stash?
    No, but I have an Asian husband stashed on the couch. Does that count?
    Too funny! Thanks, PaperPrincess!

I have some FQs, but no immediate plans for them. I love to look at the fabrics, though!

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I have a lil bit.. not my thing.. guess they are just keeping dust off the bookcase..

I won a few pieces about 10 years ago...and there they sit waiting and waiting.... they're a little like batiks for me.... it has to be all or nothing!

I have 3 blenders and 1 print left from what I bought 4 years ago for a project that did not get made.
    I am looking for another project to use them on....someday.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast