Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any colors you struggle with? >

Any colors you struggle with?

Any colors you struggle with?

Old 02-17-2018, 04:56 AM

I like all colors in some range, but the one that will sit on the shelf forever is tan - specifically tans with a yellow undertone. That sounds pretty specific, and it is. I am not a fan of baby pastels either, but they don't offend my eye quite like that tan color does.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:22 AM

I'm not big on browns and some greens (the od type and those that tend to lean toward olive) and 2nd up is yellows and oranges. Then I find a pattern that incorporates them and have to go to the lqs to look for some and the store is an hour away, so I do keep a 'little' I my stash although usually not the shade I want.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:39 AM

Although green is my favorite color, I often struggle finding a range of compatible green fabrics for a project. Combinations that seem ok inside sometimes become incompatible in sunlight. I am lucky to have retired in a place where the sun shines almost every day.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:24 AM

I like some shades of all colors but the thing I rarely use are solids, except for appliques. Don't know why as some all solid quilts are lovely, but I think it is harder for me to pair solids and they seem to stick out in a mostly print quilt. If I want a solid appearance I usually end up using a mottled or tone-on-tone. What about you?
Old 02-17-2018, 06:58 AM

I definitely avoid pink and purple...

Some color combinations make me ill to look at like red and yellow...

My favorites are peach and blue... yummmmm!
Old 02-17-2018, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by EmiliasNana View Post
I like some shades of all colors but the thing I rarely use are solids, except for appliques. Don't know why as some all solid quilts are lovely, but I think it is harder for me to pair solids and they seem to stick out in a mostly print quilt. If I want a solid appearance I usually end up using a mottled or tone-on-tone. What about you?
EmiliasNana, I'm with you regarding solids, except for solid black. I also tend to avoid white or white-on-white.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:51 AM

Orange is the color I have the most trouble using. As a personal challenge, I bought some of Kona's Color of the Year Orange and am looking for ways to incorporate it in my quilts.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:49 PM
Power Poster

I have two kinds of trouble with colors. As my eyes age it is so much harder to see dark colors when on top of each other for piecing. Seeing the edges lined up is troublesome, not impossible but time consuming to double check my work.

In another sense, I am not drawn to pure primary colors, red, yellow and blue. I find them harsh and agitating rather than soft and soothing which is what I like my quilts to be. I have very little in my stash and that is fine. If these are the only colors in the crayon box I don't ever use, that's okay.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:04 PM

Thank you, everyone for sharing your thoughts on this subject. I am looking for ways to use colors that I don't usually use, such as smaller projects: organizers, BOM's or in very small amounts in a bigger quilt. I was surprised to hear what a wide range of colors there is that everyone struggles with!
Old 02-24-2018, 06:28 AM

I have no problem with any particular color, if a quilt calls for it I use it. I make lots of scrap quilts for kids, therefore it's easy to use lots of color.