Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Any fabrics you really don't like?

I don't like dots and fabric with comic characters in the print.

I try to keep an open mind. I've seen people do things with fabric I would never think to buy, just knock my socks off.

Blog Entries
    I am partial to brighter colors but later have found myself drawn to reproduction fabrics, i.e., Civil War fabrics. The only fabrics I absolutely cannot ever picture using are the Amy Butler type. Something about the patterns and color combinations just doesn't sit well with me. Otherwise, I try to look at what will suit the use/pattern most.

Power Poster
    I don't like the print that is a medley of all the other prints in that line.

some of the civil war repros,amy butler,robyn pandolph,
    thimbleberries. I love bright colors!

I love pastels, and brights. My favorites are the 30s prints, and also anything with animals on it.........funny cute, real looking..............
    The only thing I can think of that I dont care for much would be avacado greens or the 70's oranges. Thought I disliked orange all together, but the other day I saw a piece that I loved!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    This is a hard one. But first a funny:
    I never liked batiks until I joined the board Now I love them!
    I don't care for animal prints (except if they have dogs or cats) I don't care for panels either.
    I also go on kicks- love romantic florals, then brights, really got into blenders, oh I need to quit yakking :D
    I pretty much love most fabric that you'll see in any given quilt shop :D

Isn't it great that we don't all like the same thing? I am not fond of Civil War or Homespun, they are too dark for me. I do like Amish dark, however. I have taken some of their traditional large scale patterns and sized them down to 10-12 inch blocks then put them in a large quilt. My very favorite is black, white and reds done in different patterns,the ones I have are Rail Fence and a Block of the Month Sampler that is in need of quilting. I am not fond of real large floral prints. But as I said it is good we don't all like the same thing or we couldn't find what we want.

I dont like batiks...I think they are icky! Like all others.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I would never pick a 30's fabric or pastels for my own quilt.
    How about some paisley? :lol:
    Lovin the paisley - still!!!!!

Im not fond of most flower prints, or any of the 30's prints, just too boring for me. I have made things with flowers, but not alot

I love marbles, batiks, anything that is really bright, and I do like alot of the abstract stuff.

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    I don't like Thimbleberries, either. Too dark for me. Her newer fabric lines which have ligther colors are a step in the right direction, though. I like some Civil War fabrics. I don't like the 60's and 70's retro fabrics coming out now. I would never use them. Other than that, I pretty much like everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattee
    I'm just curious not just about the fabrics people do like, but those they don't. There's tons of things I like. I'm particularly partial to Civil War reproductions and relatively dark or muted fabrics, like Thimbleberries. I might be the only person on the planet, though (please don't yell at me) that doesn't like Batiks. I know it's uncommon, but I just really don't like them. It's one thing if they're used for a pictoral scene - needing something to look like the sky, for example, but just a traditional quilt using batiks? I'm just not a fan of that fabric. I've never bought any, and doubt I ever will. Am I alone?

What about everyone else? Anything you don't like? Batiks? Civil War repro? 30's? solids? Do you like everything, especially if it's on sale?
    I am probably opposite of you. I am not into the dark muted colors and Civil war repro does not float my boat. No 30's fabrics, I'm not into the Amy Butler or Kaffe Fassett fabrics either. I like clear bright colors, florals, Asain fabrics and Batiks.

There are fabrics in each line that I like and that I don't like. I just choose the ones I do like...or rather, they chose me by calling my name at the quilt shop. I don't care for Thimbleberries but occasionally, there is one that I do like. I love batiks but occasionally, there is one or two that I don't. I just choose the individual fabris, not the line.

Banned
    dreaming of a simple life. Living off the grid!
    I'm just curious not just about the fabrics people do like, but those they don't. There's tons of things I like. I'm particularly partial to Civil War reproductions and relatively dark or muted fabrics, like Thimbleberries. I might be the only person on the planet, though (please don't yell at me) that doesn't like Batiks. I know it's uncommon, but I just really don't like them. It's one thing if they're used for a pictoral scene - needing something to look like the sky, for example, but just a traditional quilt using batiks? I'm just not a fan of that fabric. I've never bought any, and doubt I ever will. Am I alone?

DITTO so you are not alone. I do not like batiks LOVEEEEEEEEEEEE CW repro and feedsack and calico's.

I really don't like true solid fabrics either. I will use tone on tones and have even tossed out true solid fabrics from block of the month's and substituted the fabrics.

I don't like some of the Disney prints. Not into Toy story,or Sponge Bob.... But I have a colection of Winnie the Pooh fabric.
    I love color. So any piece used tastfully I love! I also love scrap quilts! I can not think of a type I would not use in a scrap quilt!

Blog Entries
    There's not much that I don't like...depending on how I'm going to use it. I don't however, like the contemporary prints like Kaffe, Valorie Wells, etc.
    All in all tho, I'm pretty sure that there's something in every genre or fabric line that I could find a use for... :)

There are very few pieces of fabric that I have seen that I don't like. Just love fabric.

I'm not a batik fan either, though some of it is pretty but nothing I want to sew. I love the civil war fabric, 1930's and toile.

I am not a fan of Amy Butler or any other retro fabrics.

Blog Entries
    This has been a fun thread to read! As for me, I like most things but seem to gravitate toward Kansas Troubles type colors. Made 30's prints quilts for the granddaughters - but don't care for it personally :)

Ok, this is probably a stupid question, but until reading this thread (and thank you all for your responses!), I did not realize that Amy Butler's fabrics are retro. What era are they from?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    I really don't like true solid fabrics either. I will use tone on tones and have even tossed out true solid fabrics from block of the month's and substituted the fabrics.
    I don't like solid fabrics either, they stand out too much. That's why I love the tone on tones, especially Benartex's Fossil Fern.
    The bali hand dyes are fabulous too.

Ok, this is probably a stupid question, but until reading this thread (and thank you all for your responses!), I did not realize that Amy Butler's fabrics are retro. What era are they from?
    No idea but they are BOOORING!!! Too blendy for me.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast