Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Any fabrics you really don't like?

I'm not big on plaids. Maybe all those years of plaid school uniforms turned me against them!!!!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Come to think of it Amy Butler's fabrics DO look retro- maybe 70's??? Or late 60's??

Blog Entries
    I don't like civil war fabrics , I hate ugly, muddy colors,
    I am a color nut, I gravitate to bright blue, reds, orange, purple, I love any thing with bugs, frogs, fireflies, butterflies,bees, ladybugs. Am I a sick puppy. :-(

I love Batiks for applique, and I just don't like paisley's. Don't know what the reason is, but they simply turn me off.

I don't care for civil war type fabrics, or other dull "muddy" ones. Yet Don't like red (for myself) either. I like pure colors, florals, paisleys and love batiks!! :)

On my small budget I will take anything I can get. I can always make pot holders out of them!

This is a hard question! I think I could be persuaded to like most anything presented the right way. Personally, in a quilt for me, I would not like black in certain situations, batiks, somber/muted colors, a panel, cartoon characters and I'm picky about what florals I like--hard to explain. I'm on the fence about batiks--I LOVE how they are used in some quilts, but I don't see them as very useful to me yet, because of my skill level!

I really like some Amy Butler stuff, but what I have doesn't seem to be very retro. But come to think of it--I don't want to use these pieces in a quilt. I like them in smaller projects, bags, etc...

Ok, so had to look up what Amy Butler fabrics look like. I love them!!! And as to retro....maybe early 70's. Reminds me of some of the clothes I had in high school. Oops!! Giving away my age!!

I don't care for true solids. I'm also not a big fan of batiks, but I fell in love with a quilt kit and it is all batiks, so I'm going to keep an open mind and see how it turns out.

I like batiks and bright bold colors and prints. I don't like 30's, Thimbleberries and Civil War.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattee
    Ok, this is probably a stupid question, but until reading this thread (and thank you all for your responses!), I did not realize that Amy Butler's fabrics are retro. What era are they from?
    To me they don't look retro at all. They look more modern and very...furniture-y. lol. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :mrgreen:

I always use white on whites for the white in anything. Or red on red, saw some black on black I thoght was pretty but have no use for

Oh heavens, paisleys are my all time favorite. Some times I buy them simple because they exist!

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I would never pick a 30's fabric or pastels for my own quilt.
    How about some paisley? :lol:
    Got some to get rid of????????????? tee hee!

Quote Originally Posted by OneMoreQuilt
    I'm not big on plaids. Maybe all those years of plaid school uniforms turned me against them!!!!
    Strange, I inherited a small piece of ugly red/brown/green/black gingham. For some reason, I really want to put it into a quilt block--------probably a pillow top. I'm thinking it might be a good choice for a "road to......" pattern

Blog Entries
    I went through a plaid phase. So I have a lot of plaid fat quarters. Luckily most are flannel so they'll make a nice rag quilt. I also went through a 'brown' phase. I have a lot of brown fat quarters.

I don't like Tartan, stripes, fluorescent colors, dark colors unless they are required to set something off. I love large floral prints for applique, Japanese and other Asian fabrics and I like most other fabrics. As you said it depends on what you want it for.

Blog Entries
    I don't like drab colors - like the muddy browns in Moda Collections. There are only a few Moda collections I like. My favorites are bright, contemporary prints. I love Sue Zipkin's and Laurel Burch's prints, but not Kaffe Fasset's. I love batiks. Not so fond of Civil War and 1930's prints, but have seen some quilts that were done beautifully in both of those. I rarely work with solids. I like marbles or other blenders (yummy fusions!).

Like:
    Batiks
    Calicos (most of them)
    Bright Colors (unless it's a large print)
    Blenders (especially black)
    Asian Prints
    Ivory Tone-on-Tone

Dislike:
    Large Prints (especially big honkin' flowers)
    White
    Mauve
    Mustard Yellow (although occasionally it does have its place)
    Homespun (although sometimes it's great for crafts)
    Solid Colors (blah!)
    Plaid (reminds me of men's shirts! LOL!)
    Flannel (not in quilts, but okay for other things)

I can't say that I don't like any particular fabric, however, I find it very difficult to use the Civil War type fabrics, to dark for me. I love the quilts others do with them, but I need brighter colors. Batiks are great, but I don't use all batiks in a project. I pull fabrics by color and value and combine all different lines. I find some of the new lines with the huge prints and not a lot of contrast, boring. I do use some but usually only one large print from a line, in a project, then jazz it up with other stuff. All my friends say I'm usually WAY out of the box. grin

....love batiks! Florals? Only if bright and bold... Made a Turning Twenty quilt out of batiks and have to say, it makes me smile every time I see it!! Michael Miller fabrics - most of them, like. Amy Butler - most of her line I don't like. Good thing the fabric designers are many!

Anything with a chicken, cow or pig on it. Not fond of horses either.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattee
    I'm just curious not just about the fabrics people do like, but those they don't. There's tons of things I like. I'm particularly partial to Civil War reproductions and relatively dark or muted fabrics, like Thimbleberries. I might be the only person on the planet, though (please don't yell at me) that doesn't like Batiks. I know it's uncommon, but I just really don't like them. It's one thing if they're used for a pictoral scene - needing something to look like the sky, for example, but just a traditional quilt using batiks? I'm just not a fan of that fabric. I've never bought any, and doubt I ever will. Am I alone?

No, you are not alone. I don't like Batiks either. I can't tell which way the pattern is supposed to go. The only other thing I really don't like is Gingham. It is too sheer for the work that I do. I prefer to go to plain old cotton with the checked patterns. Works just as well, actually better for me and has the body I need. Thanks for asking. Thought I was the only one that didn't like Batiks.

What about everyone else? Anything you don't like? Batiks? Civil War repro? 30's? solids? Do you like everything, especially if it's on sale?

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
    Oh heavens, paisleys are my all time favorite. Some times I buy them simple because they exist!
    I also loooove paisleys!!!!!!!!!! :D

It depends on the project. I went through my calico stage when I started then large prints. Not a big fan of the civil war type stuff. I made a few Amish type quilts back when. Love black and red(in small bits). I have gravitated toward solids, tone on tone and hand dyes. I do like the retro 50's type prints though. Geometrics I also buy.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast