Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Any fabrics you really don't like?

I absolutely love batiks. I made a quilt for my DDIL and she just got it yesterday. She loves it. It has 10 different materials in it, and is very colorful. I also use batiks for blending. But I must be honest, I like everything. There are particular patterns I don't like, but I love bold, muted, bright, scrapy, just everything. Which is why I have to many in the works.

OMG Opposites attract. I love civil war, 1930's. I don't care for batiks or toilles. However, I'm willing to bet that I would love your quilts. 1970 is not my thing either. See we are alike!!! Viva la difference!
    Quote Originally Posted by moonwolf23
    Not a fan of the civil war or even the 1930's reproductions. Calico isn't my thing either. The 1970 style is definately out as well.

Love the batiks. Love blues and toilles.

When I first starting quilting, I wasn't into the batiks at all, now 15 years later, I can change my story. I love woodsey, country style prints and batiks work perfectly with them.
    Not into the 30's, but did do two blocks for a challenge contest and raffle quilt but still won't place them in my collection of fabrics.
    Until I started the Farmers Wife Sampler Quilt, I would of never dreamed of purchasing Kansas Troubles or Thimbleberries fabrics, now love em.
    The retro style, Laurel Birch, Bella and the others, wouldn't be for me, but I have two daughters that just love them.
    I think when you see a pattern or fabric, it tells us something as quilters' where they belong. Like the 30's, batiks and civil war fabrics, etc..., they all have a place in a quilt, maybe not yours, but someone's. You can't go wrong with gift giving when it comes to the different varities fabric for your loved ones. We are lucky to be able to pick and choose that "special" fabric from the many choices we have.

Don't you just love quilting???

Well, I too am really fond of Civil war fabrics. Batiks are okay. I've don a few thing with them. I really dislike 1930's repoductions. Certain pattern look great with them but I'd never have them in my stash

Blog Entries
    I have a real problem with the glittery fabrics. I buy them, and then never use them because if I did, I would worry about the effect of the fabric if the glittery wears out. I know that sounds silly, but I don't like to work that hard, to get an effect, and have it disappear. I hunt for floral stripes. They just call to me. Even though I have never made a green quilt, I am drawn to any green fabrics for some reason. My favorite color is pink, go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    not a fan of Kaffe Fasset fabrics, i actually love to look at his stuff, but the fabrics are just...too much ...for me; busy, mind=boggling.
    i do know a number of people who do not like working with batiks;
    for me it's the busy, busy. i like to come up with the design, not have the fabric be the design.

and i really have to push myself to work with most novelties.
    I have to agree about Kaffe Fassett. I generally like BRIGHT, so maybe ONE of his in a quilt. But when they're all piled up in one quilt, there's too much visual noise going on to appreciate the designs.

Blog Entries
    I like some batiks but not many nor do I like checks or plaids for quilts so your not alone with dislikes

Blog Entries
    I love all the fabrics I am using at the time - next time, I'll love all the fabrics I am using at the time. Those are my favorites. Edie

I have seen on several chat sites people mention the Farmers Wife Sampler quilt. Can some one please tell me about it and maybe where I can look and see if I would like to do it too.I found that no matter who we are here, we each have our likes and dislikes and that is what makes us good quilters. Thank you for all the information you have given on all of these chat sites. I have learned a lot by reading what you have told us. Opinions are important part of our lives and friends are also a GREAT PART of our lives.

In 1922 The Farmer's Wife Magazine ran a contest that asked the question "Would you want your daughter to marry a farmer?" Fast forward 90yrs and Laurie Hird designed a quilt (queen-sized I think) using blocks with a general farm-y theme. Her book "The Farmer's Wife Sampler" includes patterns for these blocks and answers to the original contest question. Now, I want to say they are 6" blocks but don't quote me, they could be 4" blocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Annya
    I have seen on several chat sites people mention the Farmers Wife Sampler quilt. Can some one please tell me about it and maybe where I can look and see if I would like to do it too.I found that no matter who we are here, we each have our likes and dislikes and that is what makes us good quilters. Thank you for all the information you have given on all of these chat sites. I have learned a lot by reading what you have told us. Opinions are important part of our lives and friends are also a GREAT PART of our lives.

Thank you Dixiechunk. I will have to look them up and see if I want to do them.

If the cut pieces are going to be large, or used in a "kaleidoscope/stack-n-whack" quilt, then a medium to large print will work for me. But if the pieces are going to be small, then a smaller print or marbled fabric just feels better. The one thing I try to avoid is having a strong color edge in the fabric draw the eye away from the overall pattern.

And ditto on disliking muddy tones (of any color) and anything from the hippie era.

I love bright colors on a black background, I certainly would work with Civil War fabrics. You will never catch me doing a Suebonnet.

I'm partial to batiks and brights, but learning to like earth tones. I have never bought, nor do I intend to buy, 30s repros.

Mattee, have to say that I am not a Batik lover either. Can take them or leave them really and most of the time I have left them :lol:

Maybe1day

I don't like Batiks either, I guess I don't get the obsession over these fabrics. LOL I like blenders, Jo Morton's, civil war fabrics. But when I do baby quilts I like baby colors for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattee
    I'm just curious not just about the fabrics people do like, but those they don't. There's tons of things I like. I'm particularly partial to Civil War reproductions and relatively dark or muted fabrics, like Thimbleberries. I might be the only person on the planet, though (please don't yell at me) that doesn't like Batiks. I know it's uncommon, but I just really don't like them. It's one thing if they're used for a pictoral scene - needing something to look like the sky, for example, but just a traditional quilt using batiks? I'm just not a fan of that fabric. I've never bought any, and doubt I ever will. Am I alone?

What about everyone else? Anything you don't like? Batiks? Civil War repro? 30's? solids? Do you like everything, especially if it's on sale?

I have been working on a "Block of the Month" at first there were two choices, civil war or brite fabrics....I was thinking well, civil war may not be to bad. I will be getting the last block next month, and wished I had chosen the brights..they always say hind site is 20/20...The prints on "civil war" to me are way to small. Colors are kinda dismal, but that is me....Think I will give this one away when its done, or donate it.. My sister is just the oppsite she loves the civil war, and the other sister only works on what she likes too.

There are some, what I would call, modern fabrics that are large prints, and to me seem faded or washed out. I don't like them very much. They must have a name, but I don't know what they are called. To me they are just not pretty at all.

Blog Entries
    I've been looking back at all the nearly 500 pages of past pages
    of this forum. I've "copied" and "Pasted" lots of them on the TextEdit page, and discovered that my taste was not for smooth colors, but sharp contrasts of strong colors. I go back every now and then and edit out those that don't speak to me, and every time have found that what is left are those same strong contrasts.
    Some patterns also come in as favorites, but they have to be not brilliant but strong colors, and any patterns have to be tiny. I think that's why I couldn't make up my mind earlier to a certain color or pattern, didn't know what I wanted because I'd never seen it. Now you clever and talented folks have trained my mind as to what is lovely. Thank you. At the age of 76 I now know what I like in colors and patterns.

I don't care for batiks or 30s fabrics, I don't own any either. I love Thimbleberries, primitive and really nice baby fabrics (don't ask me why, my 3 grown sons aren't even dating, I see no grandbabies in my future but here's hoping).

8-) I just love fabric!!!! I do not buy thimbleberries as it is sorta dull as I prefer the bright colors, but if it is fabric I will find a way to use it if I can. If nothing else i will just look at it for a while. Am I crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by QBeth
    Oh oh, sorry, I hate Thimbleberries. :-( Brights are my thing. But, as they say, to each their own. :-)
    Thimbleberries are not my favorite either. I like some batiks. I love floral. I like fabric on the brighter side.

I'm one of those that DO like batiks! Kansas Troubles (Moda) is one of my favorites. And bright colors. And florals. And.....
    I just like the feel and smell and visual of a piece of fabric!

My dislikes in fabric have to do with headaches. If the print is too bright, or its black and white and done in an optically vibrant pattern, its avoided. The only way I could use something like that? By making it mine by muting the brightness, with paint or tea dye. I can see using a bias strip to bind a quilt, but I can't use those optic prints much. Other than those, there's no fabric too ugly. I just break out the art supplies and splash it with goop until it can be made into something fun.

It depends, too, on what I am making. I may not want brights but something more subtle.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast