Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Any fabrics you really don't like?

What is the civil war fabric or what does it look like. I like wildlife like the black bears, fishing and things that I have seen or done on trips

Quote Originally Posted by bjnicholson
    There's a time and place for each design, but I'm getting a little tired of the pink/brown/turqoise combo.
    My great granddaughter (4) is a girly girly, loving the pink and purples. I went into Hobby Lobby and almost every pink had brown and green with it. Not girly enough! Ended up buying some at Joann's and ordering some matching---------butterflies on pastel backs and then heart scribbles on mottled solids.

I have to agree with you, I don't like Batiks either. Don't get me
    wrong, they are lovely to look at, but I hand quilt, they are not
    made for hand quilting, the fabric is woven too tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    I hate ugly, muddy colors, like yellowy-browny-green and lavender that has too much gray, and old-cheese-orange and browns that look like my lawn after the snow melts off it.

So glad I got that off my chest! :roll:
    You paint a wonderful word picture!!!!

I don't like floral print or white.

I'm with you! They don't do much for me. But fortunately there are so many beautiful fabrics to drool over.

I pretty much like everything except for Disney/cartoon prints and anything with a tropical theme, like palms/hibiscus. I have some tropical prints in my stash (can't resist a good bargain), but when I get to it, the quilt I make will be given to a great friend who is crazy about all things tropical.

I go through phases. When I first started quilting I loved Thimbleberries. That was all I bought. No brights or batiks. Now I find myself loving brights and batiks. Still love thimbleberries but wish I had more selection of other fabrics. I guess I will have to go to Mary Jo's soon.

my girls smile at because if it has a flower in it I like it

I don't like Batik either, I also don't like Homespun in Quilts, I love the look of it but it doesn'a work in quilts, it frays too much.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodles
    What is the civil war fabric or what does it look like. I like wildlife like the black bears, fishing and things that I have seen or done on trips
    I read that this is the 150th anniversary of the Civil War. I would love to do a quilt in the reproduction fabrics of the time of the Civil War - Very important in U.S. history.

You can google Bonnie Blue Quilts and get a general idea of what the fabric is like, color, design and patterns.

Have a good day. Edie

Blog Entries
    I love 'em all - I'm a new quilter so haven't formed any opinions yet and use whatever I lay my hands on ...........

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubblegum0077
    I love color. Brights, prints, solids. Goldtones, batiks. I would be happy to have a whole bunch of it so I could keep on quilting. I think the bright colors are just happy and joyful. The darks are nice too and if they were mixed with goldtones or whites, I think they look great.

It all works for me. I've come across some prints that are just plain ugly, but I think no matter the print or color, something good can come out of it with a little creativity.
    I so agree, just DO NOT care for wishy washy patterns/colours.

Would someone explain what Batiks are? New to quilting so I know this is a dumb question but would like to have an answer to it. Thanks from a newbie.

Roberta is our real expert but so you get some kind of an answer quickly...Batiks originated in Bali, they are hand-made using wax to make area of the fabric resistant to dye. Of, course, nowdays they are being manufactured by big companies. Some have a mottled look to them, others have an obvious theme. Good batiks are closely woven and the back and front are the same, ie no right or wrong side.
    Quote Originally Posted by lucy39
    Would someone explain what Batiks are? New to quilting so I know this is a dumb question but would like to have an answer to it. Thanks from a newbie.

Seems like as soon as I decide I don't really like a certain fabric I see a quilt using that type that I love. I guess when it comes down to it I never met a color I didn't like. The nearest I can come to dislike is muddy colors, the kind that look like dish water. I hand dye fabric and though I love working with the colors I never could quite figure out how to combine them into a quilt. Well along came Ditter's tutorial on quilt as you go string quilts. I started it yesterday with my hand dyed and store bought batiks, am just loving the result!

I like most all of them except polyester. I love the period florals especially.

I don't like fabrics with things like Betty Boop or Disney characters (I refuse to buy books or fabric from Disney or any other movie or toy producer line). Just about everything else I can find a use for, in the right setting. I love Kaffe Fasset's fabrics, too, but find them far too busy and demanding to use in quilts - they're an artwork in themselves - as I'm sort of old-fashioned (actually, "dated" is what my older daughter calls it ). So be it. I love most of Darlene Zimmerman's designs, and Ro Gregg's (Northcott). And, alas, it doesn't stop there. If it's good quality cotton, I probably like it.

I'm afraid of the stretchy fabrics! They are hard to work with. Love cotton.

I like every thing, just so long that it's 100% cotton, is colorfast, and not flimsy. I use all colors in my quilts. Very large prints and those bright abstract prints sometimes pose a problem.

I will not buy any thing but 100% cotton. i do not want to have something shrink or unravel with years of loving and mistreatment for loved ones or children as i seem to be making more of them every year.

I don't like anything with shades of purple, pattern or solids.....I couldn't work with it

i didnt care for batiks until i saw joann fabrics "legacy" indonisian batiks line. they are pricey but they are fine quality and absolutely beautiful!

I love all reproduction fabrics. Ever one of them. :D I don't care for Homespun, stripes or plaids. Not big on solids either. I'd rather use tone on tone or marbles & blenders instead of solids. I love nearly all colors & shades.

my favorite thing is to take an old pattern ie 30's & work it all in batik...

other than that, i love the brights.. o/t orange.. and every quilt has a touch of purple in it somewhere!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 LastLast