Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else bored with Quilt Magazines >

Anyone else bored with Quilt Magazines

Anyone else bored with Quilt Magazines

Old 01-30-2011, 07:21 PM

I've let most of them lapse. I still like American Patchwork by Better Homes and Garden because they throw in some nice purses which more than make up the cost of the subscription. I would never give up Sew News and pick up Threads at JoAnn's on occasion, but they aren't quilting magazines.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:27 PM

I get F&P and hardly look at it anymore. I feel they are getting to be very one sided----their side! So if you dont care for their taste there isnt much in it for you.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:34 PM

there was a link here about 2 weeks ago for a 6 month free emag subscription to the austrailian mag maybe someone remembers it
Old 01-30-2011, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by LindaR
I got three in the mail yesterday and usually my favorite thing is an afternoon of crusing thru them...I must have been in a MOOD...cuz couldn't see anything that really struck me. I really think they are running out of ideas. Been there done that type of thing...anyone else think so????
I am so there, too. I only take one (QuiltersWorld) & it rarely has anything I want to jump right up & make anymore. I think I've surfed patterns on the web so much that they're starting to all look alike. Just different ways to position half sq. triangles. LOL.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:38 PM
Banned

Reading this thread, I am learning a lot that will be very helpful for me with my new online magazine. I would very much appreciate your input as to what you want to find in a quilting magazine. I hear a lot of negatives, so what are the positives? What do you find exciting in a quilting magazine? I have a list to get started. To help me out, what part of quilting do you enjoy and why?

Is it cutting fabric, quilting, designing, patchwork, applique, crazy quilts, art quilts, penny rugs, hand piecing, machine piecing, foundation paper piecing, english paper piecing, hand quilting, machine quilting, embroidery or something else?

Thank you so much for your input! What a great group this is!

Cindy Mccoy
http://www.quiltpatternmagazine.com
Old 01-30-2011, 07:39 PM

I agree. I'm trying to weed out my magazines and making a real effort not to buy more. I currently have two subscriptions and will probably discontinue those renewal is due. It would take me several lifetimes to make the quilts for which I have patterns.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:49 PM

Yep I feel the same way. I first started getting them about 2 years ago because I was just getting started in making quilts. Thought it would help if I could see through other peoples eyes and their ideas. Well, it's been interesting but for the most part, what I see in these magazines are not something I would want to do. On an occasion, I will see something that draws me in but for the most part, nope I find better stuff going shopping that will strike an interesting design or layout that I can draw up myself.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:53 PM

Yes. No more subscriptions for me. They are not interesting anymore. Same ole same ole.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:55 PM

Have not renewed any magazine subscriptions this year!
My favorite magazine lost my interest when Helen Kelley died- her article was always the first thing I read!
Also, I was super tired of trying to figure out when the subscription ran out-either it wasn't on the again, or had two dates, or the company kept sending me invoices even though my subscription wasn't due!
Old 01-30-2011, 08:13 PM

With me having close to 400 magazines (give or take a couple), I haven't had a subscription in years. They were given to me by my sisters MIL before she passed away. The dates go a couple from the early 70's to 2009. Sometimes I think the older ones are the best because they have the full patterns drawn in and copied over. I love the articles and the trips back in time. I wanted to sell some of them but I'd feel guilty charging for them...make scense?! Besides, I wouldn't know how much for how many and then the postage....to much to handle. Maybe later I'll try selling, who knows. :mrgreen: