Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone else not able to quilt because of... >

Anyone else not able to quilt because of...

Anyone else not able to quilt because of...

Old 11-09-2010, 07:55 AM

Between carpal tunnel and tennis elbow, I get them both. So when they act up, I use a wrist brace and wrap just below my elbow with the tape that adheres to itself. I worked for a chiropractor yearrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs ago, and that is what she did. Got the tennis elbow from typing a million claim forms (long before computers) for her. LOL Then when it is really acting up, alternate between hot and cold. Hot to loosen the muscles, cold to reduce the swelling. It does also help to stop for a couple days on whatever you are doing just to give the muscles a break.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:12 AM

Tennis Elbow is no laughing matter. I had to have steroids injected into the elbow for about 5/6 weeks. Afterwards my orthopedic surgeon told me to get the elbow support "sleeves" and gloves with 3/4 fingers in them and WEAR them when ever I was cutting fabrics or sewing. I have been doing that even since and haven't had another round with Tennis Elbow again. I did however have to have both wrists operated on because of carpal tunnel disease. I have to keep on "fixing" things so that I can continue with the love of my life, sewing. You can purchase these gloves and elbow supports at sewing supply companies but I purchased mine directly from a medical supply house. They are a lot cheaper than sewing companies. I bought two pairs of gloves and two pairs of elbow supports because it keeps me from having problems anymore with the arthritis in my wrists and elbows. Hope this will help you some. Hang in there, LN
Old 11-09-2010, 08:50 AM

Had this problem also and never played tennis. I was a bowler and it hurt so bad I had to do something. Went to local drug store and got an elastic arm band for elbows and wore it while bowliing. This method helped alot and I no longer have trouble but I did quit bowling. Good Luck.
Lorraine
Old 11-09-2010, 09:58 AM

If you can find a doctor you trust, just don't wait too long for surgical options. My sister had issues for over 10 years & decided to "tuff it out." Her first surgery was very complicated & she did not follow Dr.'s directives. She had a repeat surgery within a year, but it was just too torn up to fix. Now her only option is a joint replacement which will decrease the pain, but not extend her range of movement (she's only 54!).
I had the same surgery after 3 yrs. of problems & have had a full recovery with NO issues. God bless.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by liblueeyes
Tennis elbow - and no I don't play tennis. It has gotten so bad that I have had to just keep to hand applique, no rotary cutting. I really miss it. Dr. says surgery could make it worse. Had MRI today will see how it goes. If you are or have been in the same boat - please reassure me that this gets better!
There's a brace for tennis elbow(Walgreens has it), it really helps and there are also exercises. I have it in my right elbow. I don't play tennis either.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
I have had it come and go for years- when it flairs up I just rest the elbow- cortisone shots also help greatly :lol:
If you can do without cortisone shots don't use it. Cortisone will eat out the joints slowly as it is used. A distant relative died from complications from cortisone shots in the joints.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:47 AM

Get a elbow pad at Walmart pharmacy. I didnt think that would work for me(Dr. orders) but it did. Wore it a few days and pain and swelling was gone.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:03 AM

I have tennis elbow,and the Dr. told me to wear a band around the arm just below the elbow. It fools the muscle into thinking that is where the joint is.I also had cortisone shots,and although the pain was gone almost instantly,they are very bad for the joints
Old 11-09-2010, 02:27 PM

I had bursitis in my elbow and that caused a sac of fluid to form after the pain was gone. Thats when Dr told me to get the elbow pad. Surprisingly in a few days the sac was gone. No more problems.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by liblueeyes
Tennis elbow - and no I don't play tennis. It has gotten so bad that I have had to just keep to hand applique, no rotary cutting. I really miss it. Dr. says surgery could make it worse. Had MRI today will see how it goes. If you are or have been in the same boat - please reassure me that this gets better!
Not only do I not play tennis, I'm right-handed and my left elbow was affected. My doctor took a sort of soft velcro cuff thing about 3" wide, fastened it around my forearm and the pain eased immediately. I wore it off and on for several days and rarely have the problem any more. I bought it at her office but she said they sell them in the health department at places like Target, Wal-Mart, etc.