Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone feel overwhelmed by their stash? >

Anyone feel overwhelmed by their stash?

Anyone feel overwhelmed by their stash?

Old 01-15-2011, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by JulieM
I am overwhelmed too. I buy fabric from the same collection mostly, then can not find a pattern to use with the fabric. I feel like I am doing this backwards, but can not help myself when I find beautiful fabric.

I know this has been addressed before (fabric or pattern first), I need help in this area.
JulieM
I buy whichever I find first and then know one day its mate will appear.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Rachelcb80
I was beginning to think there was something wrong with me since my very moderate stash was overwhelming me. I've decided I don't like having fabric sitting around that has no purpose. I've been agonizing over how to use up what little I've collected.

I know that's all very un-quilter like but I just do best when things are organized. Organization to me is buying fabric for a specific purpose, using it and finishing that project before starting another. It's just what I've found works best for me. :)
Admirable!
Old 01-15-2011, 05:07 AM

I'm using un loved fabric for backings & battings in wall hangings/throws.Uses it up & saves me having to buy much of either.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:23 AM

I have a stash, but tend to buy batiks and only 1/3 of a yard of what I like, because I like lots of color in my quilts. I usually never by yards of a material without a specific project I want to make. That said I am a sucker for halloween/fall fabric, but usually only by it 1/2 a yard at a time. I dont have a sewing room, just part of our bedroom, so I do have to keep my stash under control. Lately I have been making quilts out of stash only fabric, but I do have a day trip planned to Keepsake Quilting on Monday with a friend, it is about 2.5 hrs away, well worth the drive.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:32 AM

I have a friend who makes stockings for service men and women. I have a copy of the pattern and plan to use some of the "most beautiful fabric" I ever bought at the time to get my stash down and to help a great organization. I have a son who was stationed in Iraq for about a year and I know the young people there appreciate all that we do.
Old 01-15-2011, 06:50 AM

I'm not overwhelmed just feel guilty when I look at it. BUT I went to Joann's last night found beautiful batiks from Indonesian. Bought 3 yards of one and used my 40% off coupon. bought just one yard of another. It is an addiction. (But it was nice to be able to have lots of things to choose from for projects this week while I was snowed in.)
Old 01-15-2011, 09:01 AM

I buy fabric because I like the design, etc, and then think hmm I will make this for so and so, probably would help if I had a pattern LOL but I will put it in a bag with name so I don't forget who I wanted the fabric for.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
I am never over-whelmed by my stash-I LOVE my stash-I am PROUD of my stash-but I do get really envious when I see pics of other's incredible stashes that make mine look really insignificant!! THAT makes me want to buy more!!! LOL
Oh yeah, just wait until your hubby does what mine does--he shows off my stash like he's actually proud of it! LOL
All he did was build the shelves to store it on--I'm the one who did all the investing! LOL
Old 01-15-2011, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

Okay, I have to admit I needed needles and went to my LQS the other day and bought 7 yards of fabric that was on sale and even remembered the needles. Okay, I start out again, No More Fabric, etc.....lol
Old 01-15-2011, 11:49 AM

Maybe it's because my sewing room is in a bit of a mess, and it's not a big room, but I am not comfortable with the shelves filled to overflowing. I don't like the disorder and cluttered feeling.

Some weekend I'm going to have to just take everything out and get it organized. I try to do straightening up between major projects but that only gets me so far.