Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone feel overwhelmed by their stash? >

Anyone feel overwhelmed by their stash?

Anyone feel overwhelmed by their stash?

Old 01-15-2011, 04:29 PM

Yes, I love fabric and I can say that this "thing" goes back several generations in my family. When I was in High School my mother, aunt, grandmother and I were walking down the street heading to a restaurant for lunch when we realized that my mother had drifted away from our group. After catching up with her, she finally explained that she had been imagining what the flowers on the lady's dress in front of her would look like in her next project and so she just kept following her. Mom was mentally cutting the flowers out of the material and appliqueing them on squares. Unfortunately, the women thought my mother was out of her mind. That is how this "thing" just keeps going on in our family. No wonder my husband and sons think I'm a little nutty. "It really does run in the family!" (They actually help feed the monster too often with more books and material.) JC
Old 01-16-2011, 08:29 AM

We are getting a JoAnns store here in Feb. Our local quilt store didn't have much and Walmart quit having nice material. So you can imagine the rush there will be on 2/4/11....We still need quilt store in the Bullhead City area
Old 01-16-2011, 11:56 AM

I am a little overwhelmed but mostly because it's not organized. I'm in the process of cutting/organizing strips and squares. can't work at that too long and I get brain-fried. so I go do something else and come back to it.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:07 PM

Do not think I have enough yet to get overwhelmed. :lol:
Old 01-16-2011, 06:09 PM

Watch out! I have been organizing my fabric and books all last week as we have been snowed & iced in here in Atlanta. The room looks better and I can actually find my cutting table. I built a new sewing cabinet out of top kitchen cabinets and a sheet of plywood. Now I have four more places to put away things. Of course now I still have to finish building the drawers to mount in the cabinets and then I will be finished. I put a fold down leaf on the front so I can use more than one machine at a time or support that extra large quilt. The commercial cabinets didn't fit my room and the cost was really too high. Besides quilting I love to design and build things and this looked like a good challenge. It was but what a difference it has made. Now I can handle my stash better and I love the work room it gave me. A member of our quilt group gave me a shirt that said "Tool Boss" just because I fixed our chairs and some tables. How funny!
Old 01-16-2011, 08:33 PM
Power Poster

I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts. I have been doing eoy bookwork, and I'm as meticulous about our personal account as I am of the farm account. I set a budget for how much to sepnd each year--well you guessed it I went over. Taking a deep breath and saying "use what you have--do not buy." Repeat "use what you have--do not buy."
My stash only becomes overwhelming when I can't find what I'm looking for. My stash is organized, until I go searching and fail to put things back.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:37 PM

I am beginning to be overwhelmed by mine! I have just been putting up new shelving this weekend to try to corral it all in the same place-here's to hoping that the new shelving doesn't come crashing down!
Old 01-17-2011, 09:43 AM

I came from a family where you always prepared for the future as my grandparents had a farm quite a ways out of the city. It was snow country also. Of course this meant having enough material on hand just in case you wanted to start a project. That carried over to my mother and then myself. (I live in a large city but the habit is still there.) My great frustration is when I go to do something and I am missing a part of the project which requires a trip to a store. It is like making a wonderful cobbler and not having any flour. GRRR! Naturally, I now purchase material so that I am always prepared. That is just what I tell all my friends and family. They wouldn't want me to waste all that time and gas, right?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:25 AM

Love your name, are you Cherokee? I am, but not a lot. I do have a indian card though.
Originally Posted by Cherokeequilter
I came from a family where you always prepared for the future as my grandparents had a farm quite a ways out of the city. It was snow country also. Of course this meant having enough material on hand just in case you wanted to start a project. That carried over to my mother and then myself. (I live in a large city but the habit is still there.) My great frustration is when I go to do something and I am missing a part of the project which requires a trip to a store. It is like making a wonderful cobbler and not having any flour. GRRR! Naturally, I now purchase material so that I am always prepared. That is just what I tell all my friends and family. They wouldn't want me to waste all that time and gas, right?
Old 01-17-2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by pjaco
Love your name, are you Cherokee? I am, but not a lot. I do have a indian card though.
Originally Posted by Cherokeequilter
I was wondering the same. My great great grandmother was Cherokee.