It's still cheaper than therapy!
Old 01-13-2011, 06:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy
It's still cheaper than therapy!
Not so sure about that hahaha :D:D:D
Old 01-13-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
I don't feel overwhelmed by it I just worry that if I don't stop buying more fabric, impossible, when I clock my clogs my family won't find them a good home as there aren't any craftswomen in all of my family :cry: I think I might have to write a codicil in my will :!: :wink:
Never heard the phrase "clock my clogs" before but I assume it means the same as "kick the bucket." :-) Anyway, you need to stop worrying about what anyone will do with your stash at that time. 1. It will be their problem. 2. Someone in your family may have come to his/her senses and quit fighting the fabric DNA. 3. You may (possibly) have used up all of your fabric, in which case the fabric DNA skipped a generation.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:26 PM

I think that is great no only yo share but to organize your space, do you think we should start to share our stash with others that love to quilt but do not have the resources right now, what beautiful things could be made and they would be from both the giving and creating side of quilters

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Yes, Prism, I was totally overwhelmed in the Fall. I have had fabric that was as old as 20 years!!
I gave away a lot of fabric, cleaned out my sewing room, actually it still isn't finished but the holidays got in the way.
I feel so much better. I really had too much (for me) and it turns into something counter-productive.
I still have a lot of nice fabric but my room is calmer for me to work in and I don't miss one piece I gave away.
It went to people who could use it and that made me extra happy :D:D
Old 01-13-2011, 06:28 PM

Oh, I forgot to answer the question: how could I feel overwhelmed? The need to shore up fabric is so deep in my DNA that it's a wonder that I can control it at all. Even my sisters, none of whom sew, purchase fabric and store it for a while.....then give it to me! They're such good sisters. No, I am not making them each a quilt.....there are too many of them! (I have 7 sisters, no brothers and the same mom and dad.)
Old 01-13-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I'm beginning to think I'm a fabric collector more than a quilter. And I *still* have the urge to buy *more* fabric!
I am overwhelmed by my church's ladies organization stash. Which i now am responsible to do something with. It consists of bits and pieces of fabric. 3 large Rubbermaid tubs full. Trying to figure how to use it. The bits are all sizes from 2 inch squares to a few bed sheets used for backing.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:53 PM

I am starting to cut alot of mine into 6 1/2 inch squares, except my fat quarters...I can make a lot of different quilts with that and it will make my stash easier to store. I than will buy backing once the top is done so I do not have a bunch of large fabric bolts hanging around. I really, really want to get all of mine cut and stored. Its getting out of control...I started cleaning it out and had no idea that I had half of the fabrics that I have. I store all mine in a closet so they are hard to see with out pulling them all out.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:21 PM

I have plenty of fabric stash; but still want more and am having quilt shop withdraws with hubby out of work for health reasons. It is really hard for me not to buy quilty stuff! I am drooling over Kansas Troubles Perennials and so tempted to buy a layer cake; but looks like he is going to be out of work for quite a while. Life will go on, but hard to be a quilter and not buy fabric. So many pretties out there!
Old 01-14-2011, 04:02 AM

I'm overwhelmed when I see the pictures that some of you show of your stash. OMG. You must have a fortune tied up in fabric. I buy for individual projects here in Canada as fabric is so pricey. I've started ordering from Penn and that does reduce the cost but I only have about 20 yardsd in the house at any time. I envy you gals.
Mary
Old 01-14-2011, 04:45 AM

Rachel,

How about if you use your stash for backings for quilts as you go along? If you tend to make a certain size make up a couple of backings to have ready. then the next time you finish up a quilt the "after the flimsy" portion will go along much faster!

I hope you find a way to become comfortable with what you have already purchased and have a stash. Noone should feel the guilt over the gluttonous way in which I purchased fabric these past 20 years.

denise/deBRAT holding down the tampa bay area with the weight of all my fabric