Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone feel overwhelmed by their stash? >

Anyone feel overwhelmed by their stash?

Anyone feel overwhelmed by their stash?

Old 01-14-2011, 08:40 AM

I was only overwhelmed by the fabric that is not talking to me...so I traded/sold those pieces, and now since all pieces in my stash are talking to me, I am happy to say that I LOVE looking at my stash, listening to my fabrics, and see possibilities and freedom when I do. That being said, my stash is not one tenth as large as the huge stashes I see here, but it is enough for me, I have some variety to choose from and can always buy some to complete projects feeling guilt free.

Now if we can only get our Florida weather back, my life would be perfect :mrgreen: :lol:
Old 01-14-2011, 09:10 AM

Underwhelmed is more like it for me, especially when I see some of the stashes here on the board. I'm working on buiding mine up though - finding some good deals here. Some have more to de-stash than I have in my stash. LOL So it's a win - win situation. :)
Old 01-14-2011, 10:10 AM

I am looking for a better way to store my stash so it is visible, but neat. I like neat. I have it all divided by colors, most stacked on shelves. the stacks are not stable when I have to pull out from the bottom of the stack. I tried draws, but then have to go through the drawer to see what is on the bottom. any ideas out there. I want fabric so I can see the colors and design while looking at the stack so I can compare without pulling from the stack. I am slightly a neat freak. My sewing room is messy while I am working, but once a week, I have to fold everything an put away. then start over again.
I need help.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:12 AM

I wish I had enough stash to be overwhelmed. I have been using up everything I had because of money issues so I am very low right now but still love to look.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:27 AM

I know what you mean. I have a full cupboard and closet and 6 rubbermaid tubs full af fabric. The bad thing is I still cannot stop buying it, I came home a couple of weeks ago with 2 big bags of new beautiful fabric. I am getting scared!
Old 01-14-2011, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by dorothymsmith
I am looking for a better way to store my stash so it is visible, but neat. I like neat. I have it all divided by colors, most stacked on shelves. the stacks are not stable when I have to pull out from the bottom of the stack. I tried draws, but then have to go through the drawer to see what is on the bottom. any ideas out there. I want fabric so I can see the colors and design while looking at the stack so I can compare without pulling from the stack. I am slightly a neat freak. My sewing room is messy while I am working, but once a week, I have to fold everything an put away. then start over again.
I need help.
Dorothy, I like neat too. This is what I came up with: I fold my fabric yardage on a ruler so it is all uniform in fold size, and then stack it in plastic drawer units so that the fold is visible, this works well for me, I am really liking it. BTW, I use a smaller ruler to fold the less than 1/2 yards pieces and FQ and stack the same way. Here is a picture, this may give you ideas for your stash.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-159983.jpe  
Old 01-14-2011, 10:45 AM

That looks neat. Did you make the rulers out of cardboard?
Old 01-14-2011, 10:45 AM

I have more stash then I need and hope to clear out some soon, some could be 20 yrs old. I got alot a few years ago from my dear quilter friend's stash, she passed away way too soon on me! She was only 49 and it was sudden! I was just going through some of the boxes looked for some for a project and hope she is with me as I miss her so! Its been 5 yrs!
Old 01-14-2011, 10:52 AM

Didn't you read the first topic, the poor person with alllll that fabric. I thought i had a lot, not anymore and no i don't feeled over whelmed anymore.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by dorothymsmith
That looks neat. Did you make the rulers out of cardboard?
No, I just use my regular ruler to fold and then take it out.