Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For anyone that refurbishes  old sewing machines >

For anyone that refurbishes old sewing machines

For anyone that refurbishes old sewing machines

Old 04-15-2010, 06:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by penny doty
If you paint something it loses value, I would not paint if it were mine. Penny
Not necessarily, look at this COMMON Singer 27. I paid $15 for it and its treadle, it was functioning but looked rough as a corn cob.

After the repaint I have been offer $100 just for the machine head!

I still have the treadle (its in my studio as the main power source) and the cabinet was restored and is in my attic waiting on a set of irons.

But BEFORE you do a repaint find out about all you can about the machine its rarity and so forth.

Billy

Before
[ATTACH=CONFIG]61020[/ATTACH]

Before
[ATTACH=CONFIG]61021[/ATTACH]

After "Godzilla" Finish and assembled
[ATTACH=CONFIG]61022[/ATTACH]

After Blackside Finish
[ATTACH=CONFIG]61730[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-61020.jpe   attachment-61021.jpe   attachment-61022.jpe   attachment-61725.jpe  
Old 04-15-2010, 07:06 PM

I think they are beautiful. they look like new retro. I like the one it showed. tommye
Old 04-15-2010, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by penny doty
If you paint something it loses value, I would not paint if it were mine. Penny
Not necessarily, look at this COMMON Singer 27. I paid $15 for it and its treadle, it was functioning but looked rough as a corn cob.

I still have the treadle (its in my studio as the main power source) and the cabinet was restored and is in my attic waiting on a set of irons.

But BEFORE you do a repaint find out about all you can about the machine its rarity and so forth.

Billy
Beautiful! A joy to see a machine with a new lease of life...
Old 04-15-2010, 11:51 PM
Banned

I have heard from a few antic dealers, who have said it may be ugly, but if you change it, it will lose value because it is no longer the origanel. like I sad if it were mine I would not do these based on the experts of antic dealers. Penny
Old 04-16-2010, 12:14 AM
Power Poster

Wow, some fantastic machines (Billy you are a legend!). I love antiques and have been a collector of various things for some years. Yes if you mess about with the finish on a valuable piece, it can mean a drop in value, or indeed polish it to death, in the case of some metal objects. But, as mentioned earlier age does not always equate to value, many sewing machines were produced in very large numbers and even when old are quite low in monetary value (but are precious for other reasons). Like old cars, that are not particularly collectable, vintage machines can be customised and given a new finish without compromise...just think of them as the Hot Rods of the sewing and quilting world.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by earthwalker
Wow, some fantastic machines (Billy you are a legend!). I love antiques and have been a collector of various things for some years. Yes if you mess about with the finish on a valuable piece, it can mean a drop in value, or indeed polish it to death, in the case of some metal objects. But, as mentioned earlier age does not always equate to value, many sewing machines were produced in very large numbers and even when old are quite low in monetary value (but are precious for other reasons). Like old cars, that are not particularly collectable, vintage machines can be customised and given a new finish without compromise...just think of them as the Hot Rods of the sewing and quilting world.
Love that mental image!!! VROOOM!!!
Old 04-16-2010, 05:02 AM

Life's too short.

If it is in need of painting, do it. Most of us are not going to be around to collect the value of what the machine will be worth in another 50 years anyway.

A lot of the younger generation are not at the stage in their life where they give a hoot about the stuff we collect anyway.

Have fun with it and enjoy.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:12 PM

Billy
Your refurbished Singer looks beautiful. How or where did you get the Singer emblem? I had inquired of you about an old Damascus for $30 and did acquire it last weekend. I never thought about painting it until this thread showed up today. Cool idea.

Can a novice do this?

As to the main topic of this thread... personally I have purchased 3 machines with the gold pretty much intact and I probably wouldn't redo those. However, this threadle seems to operate well but the markings aren' t anything to be admired. I guess my answer would be that 'it depends on what you acquire as to whether or not to paint. Some of the paint jobs look great. Way out of my price range but they look beautiful!
Old 04-16-2010, 01:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Windy Canyon

Billy
Your refurbished Singer looks beautiful. How or where did you get the Singer emblem? I had inquired of you about an old Damascus for $30 and did acquire it last weekend. I never thought about painting it until this thread showed up today. Cool idea.

Can a novice do this?

As to the main topic of this thread... personally I have purchased 3 machines with the gold pretty much intact and I probably wouldn't redo those. However, this threadle seems to operate well but the markings aren' t anything to be admired. I guess my answer would be that 'it depends on what you acquire as to whether or not to paint. Some of the paint jobs look great. Way out of my price range but they look beautiful!
I had a graphics company and I made up sets of decals for refurbishing sewing machines including the "Singer" decals.

As far as the Damascus is concerned it would have to look really rough to the point of tossing in the trash before I would repaint it. Most every machine I did a repaint on was a complete rusted basket case with the exception to the FW's I did.

I use all automotive paints on all of the repaints I do. The finish is very durable and it will last if taken care of. If you could find a paint company that will mix the paint and put it in a can for you then I say yes its very doable. But if you have to go and buy the materials for the job you might change your mind.

Materials for a FW repaint (just paint) will set you back close to $150.

But heres an example of what I consider a candidate for a repaint.........

Billy
Attached Thumbnails attachment-62355.jpe   attachment-62356.jpe  
Old 04-16-2010, 02:13 PM

I do love the red but I will keep mine black