Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone remember House of Fabrics? >

Anyone remember House of Fabrics?

Anyone remember House of Fabrics?

Old 07-03-2019, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

Yes I remember The House of Fabrics too. I liked shopping there and Hancock's Fabrics which was pretty close in location to them. Ben Franklin's was another favorite, since they had designer brands of fabric.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:57 PM

I worked at SoFro Fabrics in the early 80's. That is where I bought the fabric for my first quilt. It was in the local mall.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:37 PM

I do miss House of Fabrics and SoFro. They always had such interesting things.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:07 PM

So many great memories! I was reading this thread and just remembered something I'd forgotten. I was no more than seven when the Newberry's store in our town was closing. They had a table full of bolts and bolts of fabric that were on clearance. My mom was looking through them for fabric to make clothes for me, (I had the cutest clothes at school, all handmade by my mom). I can still picture those fabrics and remember how much I wanted all of them.

I recently asked my mom if she remembered the same thing but all she could remember was the popcorn in the long skinny bags they sold there.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:46 AM

I remember those too! I worked at Sears in the mall and there was a singer sewing store and House of Fabrics and Penny's all with fabric!! Those were the day's!
Old 07-16-2019, 06:04 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]614903[/ATTACH]

Yes, I remember House of Fabrics and selecting fabric that my mother used to make my high school prom dress!
Attached Thumbnails 6d1bbeb4-c553-4ed3-ac93-f43b22481e0e.jpeg  
Old 07-16-2019, 06:29 PM

I remember them! We also used to be able to buy patterns and fabric from The Bazaar. I like finding fabrics in the department stores...
Old 07-16-2019, 07:23 PM

We had Woolworths, I have fabric with the price still stapled on. I remember going in as a child with my mother and picking out patterns to make school clothes. We stopped at the lunch counter after and got a treat, mine was always home made Boston Cream Pie. Oh My! thanks for that memory, so much fun.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-17-2019 at 02:28 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-17-2019, 06:12 AM

I remember House of Fabrics in VA. I worked for Minnesota Fabrics in VA--might have been part of Hancocks. I still have the Gingher shears they gave us for Christmas one year. Still in excellent condition. Had nearly forgotten about the fabric departments in department stores.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by gillyo View Post
I worked at the Serramonte Mall store in Daly City while I was in college. It was a fun place to work but in the early 80s the selection of quilting fabrics was abysmal at best. I was sad when New York Fabrics and then Joann's bought them out because they closed down all the mall shops. It was fun to shop for fabric at the mall with my friends. Of course that was a different era. I'm sure there are still some malls with fabric stores in them but none near me.

Do any of you miss the mall fabric shops? We had Singer and House of Fabrics. There were also fabric departments in the major department stores. Those were the days!
Originally Posted by klswift View Post
Joanns in Torrance California is in the Del Amo mall. This makes it the largest (physical size) Joanns store in the country. They bought out the old Broadway (remember them?) 2 story store, closed off the escalator and leased out the upper level.
Another Southern California native here-although I was located a bit north of Torrance growing up. When I started to sew almost 50 years ago, there were a wide range of fabric stores open for business at a wide range of locations. All easy to reach around my parent's house. The quality of fabric (even the inexpensive ones) easily surpass the ones available now. I still have laundry bags from House Of Fabrics I made way back in those days still in use in my closet. I like to see if the fabrics being sold now would survive that long!

By the 1990s, most of those stores were gone. Now I only have 2 choices (Joann's & Michael Levine's) fabric stores around here. And online if I have to go there. Positively depressing.

Last edited by Iona D.; 07-19-2019 at 10:31 AM.